New Notification Format

stebu

For me (I own 50+ active geocaches) the biggest issues with new "Owner Notifications" are:

1) Email topics on mobile mail client (i.e. Samsung Galaxy / Android / GoogleMail) - previously topics were fully shown, now they are too long to be presented in preview, so I cannot see in Inbox if the log is "found" or "couldn't find". GC code is also useless.

2) Email HTML format has fixed width, previously as plain text it was dynamically adapting to screen width, now it is wider than mobile phone screen resolution, and user must scrool left-right-left for each read log line. When log has 10+ lines, it is really annoying.

I strongly agree that for cache owners there should be an option in setting to uncheck HTML version of notifications. Clear notifications are crucial in process of maintaining our caches properly, especially if somebody own many caches and receives dozens of notifications daily.

If HTML is a must, please at least restore previous e-mail topic format, and provide e-mail content adjustable to device screen resolution.

The "old" email notification subject header was clear, concise, identified the cache, and told me the nature of what happened to the cache.

Ex. [GEO]Notify: Reviewer#1 published BigCache (Traditional Cache)

For me, the "new format" is far less user-friendly and makes me have to guess what the notification is about.

Ex. Instant Notification: BigCache (GCXXXXX) has a new log from Reviewer#1

The "old" format told me all I needed to know. The "new" format tells me nothing of value and requires me to open the email before I can glean what the notification is about. I use the subject headers to decide which notifications to open first. At least, that's what I did with the "old" format. The new format is a step backwards from efficiency.

I vote for the "old" format, as the "new" format is most unpleasant.

Plain-text in the email was just fine, too. From my perspective, the graphics add nothing. I am fully aware that it is Geocaching.com that sends the notifications and I don't need graphical banners in the body of the email (that take up space that I have to scroll through) to repeatedly remind me who sent it.

Just my opinion.

This is unbelievable!

Once again, like with the grey icons, Goundspeak totally insults those of us that have that have vision problems or suffer from red/green color blindness.

A little tiny green font? REALLY?

The fact that I come home and find 100 messages in my Inbox from Groundspeak, and none in my Geocaching folder is the bigger insult. There is a bill in there somewhere that I have to pay.

I am constantly amazed that Groundspeak continues to "fix" problems that don't exist while ignoring problems that have existed for years.

You have basically turned what were useful notifications into SPAM that I need to cull out of my Inbox. What genius decided that it was a good idea to break all of your users email filters?

For the first time since I started in 2005, I am seriously considering not anteing up my $30 next month.

If I hadn't already let my premium membership lapse I'd let Groundspeak waste lots more of their bandwidth with their silly games. Set up dozens of notifications, all cache types, all log types, and route all the emails to a folder you never download. Let them use up the bandwidth to send the mails and set up an email rule to just delete them all.

One of the benefits for me of premium membership was email notifications, that I processed using my own software. If keeping my premium membership meant I had to rewrite that entire module to deal with a change for the sake of change, it's just one more reason I'm glad I stopped paying them.

Thank you, Moun10Bike for the post. Just wanted to say that, because I'm not sure anyone else acknowledged that you recently responded.

I came in to reply to this thread after getting an email notification, that didn't even say what kind of log it was:

Instant Notification: WaStatePks100: Belfair (GC4B50F) has a new log from Team Trekon

WaStatePks100: Belfair (GC4B50F) from your instant notification, Multi, has a new log!

Logged by: Team Trekon

Date: 7/24/2014

Type: Multi-cache

Log:

This cache should be archived for those wanting a stamp on their passport. No Stamp today.

Happy geocaching,

Geocaching HQ

So, I'm trying to figure out what this is...I suppose it's a Need Maintenance log?

Nope, just clicked on the link that opens up another tab for the cache page - it's a Needs Archive log. Good to know.

I also echo something someone said earlier. The "Happy geocaching, Geocaching HQ" at the end of each email is sweet and all, but very confusing. The first time I saw it, I thought that the log was posted by Groundspeak. Now that I know it isn't, I still have to tell my brain that it's just a signature at the end of each email. Very distracting.

4abe4dd4-3135-4d3a-a1d7-61221fba9689.png

I don't see that. Is this a shopped mockup, or a screen shot of a new feature that you can see but I don't?

PS to Groundspeak, Nit #4:

This page is really hard to find. It's not under the Lists tab in the profile, where it would seem to logically belong. After some digging I found it via the Lists pulldown from the Your Profile Javascript menu. Awkward design.

Sorry for no context -- this is a mockup of how I would like it to work.

It is easy to move stuff around on a Paint screen -- its a whole other thing to set up and integrate the underlying processes to make something like that work.

That's true but it's that kind of mockup that can be used for user testing *before* implementing the underlying functionality. It's an example of "user driven design" as opposed having the the design team make decisions about what users want without actually asking the users.

We are definitely listening to you and your opinions.

This is the best thing I've read in this thread.

2) Email HTML format has fixed width, previously as plain text it was dynamically adapting to screen width, now it is wider than mobile phone screen resolution, and user must scrool left-right-left for each read log line. When log has 10+ lines, it is really annoying.

This is the WORST thing I've read in this thread.

I think it looks nice, but the font is showing up tiny in my email. I agree with Don that there should be some consideration for people whose eyesight isn't that great (myself included and I'm only 36).

Programmers are all kids. They do not understand problems with eyesight. I got glasses in 2nd grade, and bifocals in 5th grade. My vision was 20/1200. I actually did quite well. I had cataract surgery 10 years ago. I am 20/50 now. But!!! My eyes do not focus. Plastic has that problem. I can see at 24" or 4' and beyond. Programmers like to put everything at the top of the screen. I cannot see there without craning my neck. And that is not good. Groundspeak moved the tabs from the left to the top. Makes it very tough for me. But programmers do not care! Most programs a work pop to the top of the screen. No one cares! Remember that I have everything else staged at 24". Keyboard, notes &c. I'd like to cut a hole into my desk and sink the computer down about a foot!

My major customer changed their programming last year. (Who would trust a computer service named Hal???) Everything is now in tiny print. (and runs several pages to print out, instead of one.)

You know what? Programmers are all kids, and they do not understand eye problems and worse: They do not care!

Everything is horrible...the new stuff if going to put geocaching out of existence...yada yada yada....Oh, I can't stay mad at you guys!wub.gif (At least, not when you're caught listening to user feedback!wink.gif)

Seriously though, wow! Good job Groundspeak! I can't express my gratitude! I'm sorry if I made it sound like you didn't care about the cachers... I hope we can still be friends!

EDIT: As if by magic, the second I clicked to post this, I got two new emails with the classic subject line! laugh.gif

Edited by ADKer

I think it looks nice, but the font is showing up tiny in my email. I agree with Don that there should be some consideration for people whose eyesight isn't that great (myself included and I'm only 36).

Programmers are all kids. They do not understand problems with eyesight. I got glasses in 2nd grade, and bifocals in 5th grade. My vision was 20/1200. I actually did quite well. I had cataract surgery 10 years ago. I am 20/50 now. But!!! My eyes do not focus. Plastic has that problem. I can see at 24" or 4' and beyond. Programmers like to put everything at the top of the screen. I cannot see there without craning my neck. And that is not good. Groundspeak moved the tabs from the left to the top. Makes it very tough for me. But programmers do not care! Most programs a work pop to the top of the screen. No one cares! Remember that I have everything else staged at 24". Keyboard, notes &c. I'd like to cut a hole into my desk and sink the computer down about a foot!

My major customer changed their programming last year. (Who would trust a computer service named Hal???) Everything is now in tiny print. (and runs several pages to print out, instead of one.)

You know what? Programmers are all kids, and they do not understand eye problems and worse: They do not care!

The good news is one day these 'kids' will grow up and it will be pay back time. :anibad:

Maybe you need to get a taller chair at work. OR you could sit on the phone book. Or get one of those magnifying devices. Or just retire. That's always an option. :huh:

I feel for you.

For example:

X-Groundspeak-Notification-Type: Publish

X-Groundspeak-Cache-Type: Unknown cache

X-Groundspeak-Cache-Difficulty: 1

X-Groundspeak-Cache-Name: Fix email notifications for good

X-Groundspeak-Cache-Owner: happy-paying-customer

X-Groundspeak-Favorites: over 9000

+1 for this idea. I could then set my mail server to discard the whole message content and just send me the headers. Hmmm, maybe add the GC code somewhere too.

Oh yeah! Hadn't even considered email headers... that's brilliant idea! And they are (well, should be) filterable in most any email program. Excellent place for detailed, parseable cache data

You know what? As a middle-aged programmer who has had poor vision for nearly a quarter century and is consistently trying to talk people out of making stupid decisions about colors & fonts, I'm offended by your gross generalization.

We have just finished rolling out some changes to the email templates that revert the subject lines back to their previous format and make some small tweaks to the body contents.

I was just looking at a new cache publication email. It is much improved. And I actually much prefer some aspects of the new format.

New Traditional Cache: Title_of_cache (GCxxxxx), 1.0mi SW (1.6km SW)‏

compared to :

[GEO] Notify: Reviewer published Title_of_cache (Traditional Cache)‏

Happily, Oh snap! is no longer there.

Thanks for getting this change out so quickly. Hopefully other issues can be resolved as well.

You know what? As a middle-aged programmer who has had poor vision for nearly a quarter century and is consistently trying to talk people out of making stupid decisions about colors & fonts, I'm offended by your gross generalization.

Yeah, no one has called me a kid in a long time either. Unless that's what they meant by "childish" or "juvenile".

You're more than welcomed. Okay: 98.7% of programmers are kids. Is that better?

You're more than welcomed. Okay: 98.7% of programmers are kids. Is that better?

I'm 99.9% confident you pulled that statistic out of a place where the sun don't shine.

Sincerely, one of your 1.3%. :cool:

Edited by thebruce0

Let's get back to discussing the Notification format, including today's update to what rolled out yesterday.

Here is the exact format of a notification for a cache I just published in my home area. The first line is the subject line of the email. Underlined text indicates hyperlinks:

New Traditional Cache: Cache Name (GCCODE), 14.6mi E (23.4km E)

A new geocache was just published:

Name: Cache Name (GCCODE)

Created by: Owner Name

Type: Traditional Cache

Distance: 14.6mi E (23.4km E)

Published by: Keystone

Edit the settings for your {Name of Instant Notification} instant notification.

Let's get back to discussing the Notification format, including today's update to what rolled out yesterday.

Here is the exact format of a notification for a cache I just published in my home area. The first line is the subject line of the email. Underlined text indicates hyperlinks:

Yeah, personally I like this better than the original. Having distance and direction in the subject, and cache owner in the text, is a major improvement for me.

As a reply to Keystone post:

Was posted to Release Notes http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=324356&view=findpost&p=5406098

Is this a company or weebles wobble class.

Yesterday, I used the contact form to express my concern over the new HTML format. Needless to say, my confirmation email states

'Thanks for emailing Geocaching HQ.

Just like a delicious pizza, your email has been delivered. Unlike pizza, we won’t eat your email. That’s not even possible. Or is it?

Regardless, someone from Geocaching HQ will get back to you within 3 – 5 business days. Then we’ll figure out this whole “can emails be eaten?” thing.

Cheers,'

What company in their right mind would have an auto reply such as this. (I am a pizza now) This is beyond childish. I guess that this is just a game for Groundspeak and does not take being a company or taking communications seriously. THIS made me FUME!

I stated my concern in a well addressed and thought out manner with examples.

Groundspeak takes $30 for my defunct iphone app, $30 for android app, $30 per year for the last 5 years to be a valued member. I expect to be treated better than this scam. On a mobile device, Now must download an email file that contains advertising (which all member know of and have bookmarked or have friended and/or joined)

I received a canned response back:

'Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback regarding the updates to the email notification system. We are currently working through some of the small hiccups (including your suggestions), but overall we are very excited about the changes we made to modernize the email system. All of our notification emails going forward will be sent in HTML format, which most email providers support (e.g. gmail, outlook, etc).

If you have already created email filters for the old game-triggered emails, you will have to update them to the appropriate new text.

Thanks again for your feedback. Have a wonderful day!

Kindly, '

None of my concerns were remotely addressed. My take is that skool is out for the summer and have underage interns answering questions.

I beg, plead and beg again that Groundspeak have the option at MINIMUM to have at text option for notifications.

FWIW, I rarely get upset about issues, BUT this one takes the cake even though my job location is laying off 400+ personnel and closing. (this upset me more that loosing a job for the last 10 years.) Now I cannot even read logs, new hides, archived, or what ever. This issue takes the cake.

I really enjoy playing the game up until now. This has become more trouble with having many notification in a 200sqm area that cannot be deciphered.

Will close with my quote of a cache that needs maintenance... Please fix or archive.

Regards,

jim

I'm personally convinced that all of the recent email changes to HTML were designed primarily to facilitate a self-serving promotion by gc.com to include their Facebook "Like" button, their Twitter button, their YouTube button, and their Instagram button, and to sell their 2 apps in all of the email they send. Doesn't do US any good, but I doubt that was the primary concern.

BRING BACK TEXT!

Edited by ecanderson

I don't see where your ranting, insulting reply had anything to do with my post. I posted merely to provide real-time examples of the latest fixes to the notification emails, reflecting some of the feedback received. I did so in an effort to be helpful. I am a community volunteer; I do not work for Groundspeak.

Posts like yours make volunteers like me want to stay out of the forums.

I don't see where your ranting, insulting reply had anything to do with my post. I posted merely to provide real-time examples of the latest fixes to the notification emails, reflecting some of the feedback received. I did so in an effort to be helpful. I am a community volunteer; I do not work for Groundspeak.

Posts like yours make volunteers like me want to stay out of the forums.

I am so sorry Keystone.. this was not directed at you personally. Was aimed at GS only. Again, truly sorry that my post was directed at you.

This looks awesome. Better format than the "traditional" notification. If it can be also presented as text instead of HTML, I'm sold!

The new HTML email notifications aren't too bad for me when I'm using one of my Macs. The fixed-width layout happens to fit the width normally available to email messages in my browser, and the font size is the same as the minimum font size I've configured my browser to enforce. It's a bit of a mess on my phone though. It's readable, since Android apps are pretty good about forcing text content into a max-width that fits on the screen, but I have to scroll around more than I used to.

I'd switch back to text-only email in a heartbeat if that option were made available. But make sure the text-only email contains the same text content as the "real" email. (And yes, I know your marketing folk and designers will consider the HTML version to be the "real" version.)

I've had other services start sending text-only email that said something along the lines of:

That kind of text-only email is useless. In some cases, I switched to their HTML email and put up with the annoyances of that format. In other cases, I just unsubscribed.

G R E A T. ,!!!

Nearly the Old style ist back, reloaded as cachers say...

Now the important things are again visible in the subject.

And i will say something positive on Groundspeak: the subject of new publishe caches containes the distance. VERY GOOD!

Cachers of the world : UNITE ! Together we are strong...

Greets thomas0809

The easier issue (topic) is now fixed.

Now waiting for the "fixed email width" issue:

"Email HTML format has fixed width, previously as plain text it was dynamically adapting to screen width, now it is wider than mobile phone screen resolution, and user must scrool left-right-left for each read log line. When log has 10+ lines, it is really annoying."

Yeah, personally I like this better than the original. Having distance and direction in the subject, and cache owner in the text, is a major improvement for me.

I'm really glad that they decided to put cache owner in the content. I just got an email for a new cache notification that was about 50 miles east of me, and I was idly wondering if I should open it up. I saw the cache owner's name, smiled, and knew where the cache was, and what sort of context it would be in. I'm sure it's not always needed, and I know some people will use it to filter out people that they're cranky with (not that that is necessarily a bad thing), but I like the info.

I'm personally convinced that all of the recent email changes to HTML were designed primarily to facilitate a self-serving promotion by gc.com to include their Facebook "Like" button, their Twitter button, their YouTube button, and their Instagram button, and to sell their 2 apps in all of the email they send. Doesn't do US any good, but I doubt that was the primary concern.BRING BACK TEXT!

The job isn't finished until HTML is either gone or optional.Thank you.
Amen. I'd love to hear a valid business reason for why this can't be the case.
Post #125?

Post #125, quoted above, theorizes why HTML would be the preferred option for Groundspeak. Since it neither came from a representative of Groundspeak, nor answers why both options could not be provided to the user base at the user's discretion, I'm not satisfied with the answer.

I don't disagree with your theory, but it sure would be nice to have someone from Groundspeak actually pipe up out of their anti-feedback bunker to answer a simple question: "Why can't both options be provided to the end user?"

The revision to the header is good and has addressed half the problem, so thanks for that.

As so many others point out, the HTML format is still a problem. It seems OK for desktop use but surely quite a few people are now starting to use smartphones as their main communication device, and clearly this new e-mail format is not designed for a 4-inch screen.

Surely if Groundspeak want to be open about this and don't want to revert to the more convenient format then it falls to them to provide an explanation of their reasoning in making this change without consultation. If they don't want to be open about it, well it's their call but I'd suggest that a hobby site owner should be striving to be open and honest at all times.

The revision to the header is good and has addressed half the problem, so thanks for that.

As so many others point out, the HTML format is still a problem. It seems OK for desktop use but surely quite a few people are now starting to use smartphones as their main communication device, and clearly this new e-mail format is not designed for a 4-inch screen.

Surely if Groundspeak want to be open about this and don't want to revert to the more convenient format then it falls to them to provide an explanation of their reasoning in making this change without consultation. If they don't want to be open about it, well it's their call but I'd suggest that a hobby site owner should be striving to be open and honest at all times.

+1

I got email for several logs yesterday. The email client on my iPhone shows the subject line so it was easy to see which messages I wanted to read and which I didn't. I just did a swipe from right to left to delete a couple of "enabled" logs. A single tap on a log for one of my caches and I was able to see all the relevant information. Touching the screen and moving my finger about 1/2" toward the top and and I could read the 2 sentence written as the log.

I support the idea of providing an text only option but, frankly, I think the html logs seem to work pretty well for me on my 4" screen.

None of my concerns were remotely addressed. My take is that skool is out for the summer and have underage interns answering questions.

No, you sent a short and to the point email containing just your questions and concerns. You should have sent one containing large inline images and lots of adverts if you wanted them to take it seriously.

I still have a complaint about "New Traditional Cache" notifications. I live 5 miles from Canada, so my 50 mile notification radius obviously extends 45 miles into that Country. Under this format, I can no longer tell if a cache is in the U.S. or Canada from the subject line, as the subject used to be "Reviewer name published Cache name". Despite my proximity, and almost 500 finds in Canada, I haven't set foot in the Country in 2 years. (busy and stuff, you know). And I'd suspect the overwhelming majority of people in my area rarely cache in Canada, and too can no longer tell without opening the email whether it's in Canada or not. Now, you have to open up every single email, and read down to the 7th line to see who published the cache (in a very tiny font, I might add) but you didn't used to have to. :)

P.S. I almost forgot, I can see this happening for people who live near U.S. State borders. So it's not just a problem for people living in proximity to the frozen tundra that is the entire nation of Canada. :o Then again, those people don't need a passport or enhanced drivers license and a two time wait at a border crossing to find the caches.

P.S.S. This has to affect a lot of people in Europe too, right? I'm sure they get notifications for caches that involve a border crossing that they'll probably never get around to finding. Now they have to open up every single one of them, and read down to line 7 in a tiny font. Or go to the cache page.

EDIT: (for about the 10th time) My point being, I can no longer delete notifications for caches in a Foreign Country, which requires two timely border crossings and a passport or enhanced drivers license, without opening these emails up, and studying them. We've dealt with this from day one of the notification system in border Cities, but there was always an easy fix (published by a Canadian reviewer). That easy fix is now gone. And historically, in my case, there are more new caches placed in Canada then in the U.S.

P.S.S.S. Somebody call the Wahmbulance. :lol:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I'm personally convinced that all of the recent email changes to HTML were designed primarily to facilitate a self-serving promotion by gc.com to include their Facebook "Like" button, their Twitter button, their YouTube button, and their Instagram button, and to sell their 2 apps in all of the email they send. Doesn't do US any good, but I doubt that was the primary concern.

BRING BACK TEXT!

Thank you for answering my question which was WHY .

I got email for several logs yesterday. The email client on my iPhone shows the subject line so it was easy to see which messages I wanted to read and which I didn't. I just did a swipe from right to left to delete a couple of "enabled" logs. A single tap on a log for one of my caches and I was able to see all the relevant information. Touching the screen and moving my finger about 1/2" toward the top and and I could read the 2 sentence written as the log.

I support the idea of providing an text only option but, frankly, I think the html logs seem to work pretty well for me on my 4" screen.

I'm not wealthy so I can't afford an iPhone (in the UK they are horrendously expensive: £400 for a PHONE?).

However, my phone only requires the screen to be turned (moved to Landscape format) and the latest log (2 hrs ago) is almost readable. It says "New Traditional Cache: Paige's Library Cache (". If I want to see what this means I only have to tap on the header and I can see the header in full, so I can see the GC code (what I'm supposed to do with that particular information is unclear). Below this is some text "------- ------ ----". Zooming in, the text disappears.

Moving the text back into view I can almost read it but it's still a bit small. Zooming in again, it goes out of view again. Moving it back I can now read it, although it's now truncated because I zoomed a bit too much. So I scroll across and then back a couple of times. Now I have all the information required.

The old version took two taps, but hey! that's progress for you...

Sounds like the new Groundspeak motto. "Taking bad to a whole new level"

I fully agree. First I was upset because of the hidden and minimized logbook on the site, so that I have to use about 30 clicks until I find a specific log, tha I'm searching for, instead of just scrolling down.

Now there's this orrible new HTML notification, using endless space on the hard disc and traffic on the mobile. And it looks abolutely poor, bacause I don't download inline pics for saving traffic and space.

There definitly has to be an option for turning back to plain Logs, again.

A translation to the mothertongue of the user would (not have been necessary but at least) have been much more usefull than this awful design update.

Your English is better than that of people who have been speaking it for 20 years.

But I don't think it takes up space on a hard disk unless you choose to save it on your computer- which is useless to do for every email since they are saved on the servers of the email provider (gmail, yahoo, whatever)

Well, while Gmail saves a copy of everything, I prefer to download all of my mail to a local email client. Fortunately, I have a modern desktop with a fairly big hard disk. Groundspeak mail is not going to overwhelm it.

I'm just really happy that the emails are landing in the proper folders. Not happy with the small green text

And what's with all the people posting who have low forum counts? It seems to outnumber the regulars for once. Just an observation. The website changed, the app changed, so is anyone really surprised to emails changed to the same green/earthy colours?

You thought this was a private message board?

The fact that so many are commenting tells us just bad this change was.

Edited by Don_J

And what's with all the people posting who have low forum counts? It seems to outnumber the regulars for once. Just an observation. The website changed, the app changed, so is anyone really surprised to emails changed to the same green/earthy colours?

You thought this was a private message board?

The fact that so many are commenting tells us just bad this change was.

I'll agree with this......saw so many strange avatars I thought I was in a time warp.