What separates a good log from a bad log?

Trotter17

I tried using the search bar for a topic about this but didn't see one. If one already exists, please feel free to merge!

OK, so I get the feeling that a good number of users here feel very strongly about cachers who simply use a cut and paste log or leave a simple TFTC. What makes a good log? I've been trying to leave better logs on the caches I find, but sometimes a cache is rather uninspiring and there just isn't much to log about. When the cache is a nice hike, placed in a fun, unique place, or in a lovely park, it's easy to write a bit. But sometimes, well...I mean, if I snap up a cache in a Burger King parking lot or under a stop sign, how much should I be expected to write?

Any thoughts on what separates the good logs from the bad from you old pros?

Even for the most uninspiring caches I try to write what brought me to choose that cache. "feeling a bit peckish, seemed daft not to pick up the cache whilst I waited for my burger" or "needed this cache to help with a challenge" or "too nice to be inside this evening"

For a trail I will write an individual log for each cache rather than a cut and paste though my logs will be briefer "heard the birds singing and saw a deer on the way up to the cache" Personally I find it a little frustrating when we are caching and look to the logs for help to find an A4 page that is cut and paste 30+ times about the whole adventure.

We will try and be helpful and think about any useful information for future cachers "GPS signal was spot on here" "wear long trousers as there were lots of nettles" without giving the game away.

You can do what I am seeing many others are doing in their logs these days....tell a story about your day - your day's activities, the weather, where you have been and are planning to go, etc., then at the very end of your personal story, just add "TFTC" :laughing: They seem to think the acronym makes the autobiographical story into a cache log.

Any thoughts on what separates the good logs from the bad from you old pros?

Write something about that particular cache. Make notes and take photos so you'll remember each individual cache you found that day. This will help you write a nice entry that let's the cache owner know you were actually at their cache and what you thought about the experience.

Q: What separates a good log from a bad log?

Short answer: A vast ocean of mediocre logs.

Less short answer: Terms like "good" and "bad" are very subjective, so you'd be hard-pressed to find a lot of agreement about what makes a log "good" or "bad". It's obvious many don't care what a log says, so the bar is virtually nonexistent for those folks. There are many who expect a detailed report handwritten into a notebook inside the cache and anything less is a disappointment. For me, all I would ever ask is they don't resort to "TFTC" or something that doesn't even relate to finding a cache (examples: "yup" or "."). It's awesome and great if there is at least SOME description of the search or anything funny or troubling they encountered during their search. Heck...I'm even happy if they say something as simple as "quick find in a cool area". At least that tells me they got some enjoyment out of my cache and where it was placed. My most favorited cache is located at the Terminus location from 'The Walking Dead' show. I get a lot of positive reaction and it is rewarding even when they give a single sentence log because they give that positive feedback.

Every cache that someone logs has something just a little different about it then the others they have found. With that being said, when you take on a series of 10 caches in a park or trail you should make sure every log is different. Not just copy and paste the same log (which may have been a good one) from the first cache to the last. CO's like to hear a story, even a short one, on how you found the cache. Was there anything exciting that happened or was a simple walk up to the cache.

Personally, I'm OK with you logging "TFTC" if you mindlessly found a cache that doesn't inspire any more comment. I normally make a quick comment about why I was there if there's nothing else to say. Could be as little as "Just passing through". If a cache really isn't at all inspiring, I sometimes make a quick comment about a problem it has or how it could be better.

The important thing is not to make a habit out of it. No matter how many TFTC logs you leave, remember to write something inspired for those caches that are inspiring.

I wouldn't call myself an old pro, but our outlook is pretty simple on it.

If the hide was pretty generic, it gets a generic log. I often log from my phone, and have a couple of simple macro's that I log with. It's full words, but has nothing specific.

If the hide was interesting, unique, or unusual, I will always try to add more about the find, trials/tribulations, animals, or a laugh and take a picture for my own memories.

Although I never use initials or cut and paste, with some caches I will write a single line while others lead to a stream of consciousness. Many logs are only an excuse to post a photo of something in or around the cache location. Sometimes I will look for a cache because I have a particular log or a photo in mind. Whether any of these are good or bad depends on your perspective.

I am not sure that the game will ever see logs that approach Oregone in his prime (unfortunately many of the logs are no longer posted). Others considered his logs a waste of space that had nothing to do with the game. I sometimes aim for something that may lead to the latter reaction, but I rarely take the time to do it.

Edited by geodarts

my logs tend to me more for me to remember the experience rather than the CO reading them, although in saying that as a CO myself I much prefer to read the story or a comment about my cache than the crapp ie. "that's one more for me! Thank you for placing this Geocache."

I think just a bit of a story about your find, how you came across it, maybe if the site has historical significance what you think of it? Obviously I don't need your life story but just enough for me to read and go "that was worth hiding"

You can do what I am seeing many others are doing in their logs these days....tell a story about your day - your day's activities, the weather, where you have been and are planning to go, etc., then at the very end of your personal story, just add "TFTC" :laughing: They seem to think the acronym makes the autobiographical story into a cache log.

This kind of attitude is why less and less people tend to write good logs. Too little and we get ridiculed inthe forums for being lazy. Too much and we get ridiculed in the forums for writing an autobiography,

Lame

This kind of attitude is why less and less people tend to write good logs. Too little and we get ridiculed inthe forums for being lazy. Too much and we get ridiculed in the forums for writing an autobiography,

Lame

A lot of words about something not associated with the cache you just found is not much of a cache log. Lame is the 4 paragraph overview of your journey from Podunk, USA to GeoWorld Event, mentioning nothing about the actual cache you just found. I care less about your journey, tell me about the cache you just found.

A lot of words about something not associated with the cache you just found is not much of a cache log. Lame is the 4 paragraph overview of your journey from Podunk, USA to GeoWorld Event, mentioning nothing about the actual cache you just found. I care less about your journey, tell me about the cache you just found.

I agree that a cut and paste travelogue does nothing for me. But who is to say what is associated with a cache? The best logs I write may have little to do with the physical container, but everything to do with what the title or location may evoke. A fleeting memory, a stream of consciousness, or a fantasy is more interesting to me than a small bison tube hidden in a typical location.

I agree that a cut and paste travelogue does nothing for me. But who is to say what is associated with a cache? The best logs I write may have little to do with the physical container, but everything to do with what the title or location may evoke. A fleeting memory, a stream of consciousness, or a fantasy is more interesting to me than a small bison tube hidden in a typical location.

I think we agree.

To me, a cache is more than the physical container, it also includes the location, the manner of hide, the write-up (Title & description) and probably some other factors. Talking about those things and how they impacted you is what makes a good cache log for me.

Lame

Simple. Tell a good story. Preferably about this cache (not the 35 others you bagged today). Use as few or as many words as the story demands. End of story.

I think the fact that you came here to ask that, you will be fine with whatever you write. You are caring about it and thinking about it. The problem loggers are most likely the ones that don't care or don't think about it. I like to read a good story about the caches I place but am happy with "that was a fun one" or something.

What I am seeing a lot is cut and paste ones of there trip. Like " We traveled from Canada threw California and found many great caches. Thanks to all the CO for maintaining them." Nothing at all to say about the individual cache they found. Whatever but something short about the individual cache would be nice. I would almost prefer TFTC.

I am new to geocaching and today I got an email about my short comment TFTC. Asking to provide a longer comment. The cache as such was above the average. But I don't like the attitude that I don't appreciate the cache if I don't write a long description about how I found it. I appreciate all caches hidden by anyone. Sure I think that some caches could be better but who am I to judge. Someone made the effort to hide one which triggered me to try to find it. Great.

I assume that the more caches you find the harder it will be to impress. I am yet to hide my own. The thing holding me back is the pressure to make a "good one". Whatever that is. My taste might not be yours.

Geocaching is as everything else that's becoming popular, changing.

My message would be, don't demand great feedback but appreciate the ones you get.

For me geocaching is great.I do a lot of walking and geocaching takes me to new places.

Thanx to all who hides.

I am new to geocaching and today I got an email about my short comment TFTC. Asking to provide a longer comment. The cache as such was above the average. But I don't like the attitude that I don't appreciate the cache if I don't write a long description about how I found it.

Did you only write "TFTC"? You could write "This cache was above the average. TFTC" instead. :) The description doesn't have to be very long, but something a little more than just "TFTC" is nice. (Note: I didn't search out your found caches to see what you write. I'm just going by what you said here.)

Edited by TriciaG

I am new to geocaching and today I got an email about my short comment TFTC. Asking to provide a longer comment. The cache as such was above the average. But I don't like the attitude that I don't appreciate the cache if I don't write a long description about how I found it. I appreciate all caches hidden by anyone. Sure I think that some caches could be better but who am I to judge. Someone made the effort to hide one which triggered me to try to find it. Great.

I assume that the more caches you find the harder it will be to impress. I am yet to hide my own. The thing holding me back is the pressure to make a "good one". Whatever that is. My taste might not be yours.

Geocaching is as everything else that's becoming popular, changing.

My message would be, don't demand great feedback but appreciate the ones you get.

For me geocaching is great.I do a lot of walking and geocaching takes me to new places.

Thanx to all who hides.

If a cache owner sent me that email, he would end up with the most minimal log possible.

Think if it were your cache what kind of logs would you like to read? I love to read good comments about our caches. Now that being said, we have some very basic caches (especially some of our first ones) so I don't really expect much on their logs, but even on them "found it" is pretty lame. But we also have some pretty good caches in nice historical spots with awesome views or with pretty unique containers hidden with a sort of theme or twist that we and some friends put a lot of effort into. I'm not sure why, but we really like to place caches that other cachers will really enjoy, and when someone leaves a good log about their experience it makes all the effort and maintenance worth it. Sure we left some of those short logs when we were new, but not anymore. Write something that you think will make the CO smile. We found an 11 year old cache the other day that hadn't been found in about 17 months, it was a real trek and I enjoyed it so much I probably wrote to long of a log and left too many pictures, see cache http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GCE7EB_jungle-cache as an example on one of my logs for a cache I really enjoyed. You don't have to leave long logs, but compliment the cache, or the CO, or at least the experience finding it if the cache warrants it. Trust me, as a placer any small tidbit of positive information is very appreciative.

Good logs don't have to be long logs. To me, a "good" log has two things: unique and relevant.

- As advertised, this one was a nice easy find in the logical hiding place.

- Was surprised to see this one hadn't been found in seven weeks because it's in a nice spot.

- At first I was focused on the wrong tree but once I changed my search I made the grab in short order.

- I searched the most obvious hiding spot and it was only when I opened my mind a bit did I find the goods.

- I am pleased to report the container is holding well and everything is dry and in good shape.

- Lots of mosquitoes at this location so I'm glad I only had to hunt for five minutes before finding it.

- Logbook was a little damp so I left it in the sun to dry since I had some time to kill.

Certainly if the cache is an epic journey and I have more to say I will write much longer and more detailed logs, sometimes spilling beyond the limit and having to break the experience into two postings.

As a seeker, I hate going to the previous logs to try and find a subtle hint only to find a series of cut and paste logs that have nothing to say about the unique experience the finder had at the cache. Ditto as an owner. Tell me how the cache is holding up, tell me if the conditions at ground zero have changed, tell me the log is getting full...

I am new to geocaching and today I got an email about my short comment TFTC. Asking to provide a longer comment. The cache as such was above the average. But I don't like the attitude that I don't appreciate the cache if I don't write a long description about how I found it.

If a cache owner sent me that email, he would end up with the most minimal log possible.

I wouldn't let that CO dictate my logging behavior one way or another. I'll just continue logging the way I prefer to log.

Personally I don't get to worked up about logs either way. The purpose of the cache is to get people out and enjoy nature. If a cacher logs it I know they have made the trip and I'm happy. Some people like to write long logs some don't. The only thing I would like to see less of is the three or four sentence log that's cut and pasted for every find. If your going to do that just write "TFTC".

sbell111, on 26 July 2014 - 05:59 PM, said:

erroma, on 26 July 2014 - 03:46 AM, said:

I wouldn't let that CO dictate my logging behavior one way or another. I'll just continue logging the way I prefer to log.

That's when I 'd be a jerk. "TFTC" wasn't sufficient? Fine. "TFTC. HAND." (Have A Nice Day)