Placed with (insert GPSr here) Option on cache page

GeoGerms

I was introducing a coworker and fellow hiker to geocaching using the new "more improved" Garmin GPSMAP 64s and we arrived at the part where I usually say "Now it depends on what type of GPSr they have/used when placing the cache, because some are more accurate then others." To which he replied, "That's not listed on the cache page? Sounds like important info to have." With a shrug I said, "Yeah that would be good to know, but it isn't." and we continued on our way.

I know you can add what GPSr you use to your account details, but I don't think it is available for anyone else to see.

Can we add that info to the cache page?

Should we add that info to the cache page?

If not on the cache page, maybe make their "Primary Gadget" available on their profile page.

Or just keep it as is, part of the difficulty rating LOL.

I'd like to keep it as is, thanks.

GPSr details, like the phones, I believe will vaporize when a Lackey gets around to it.

Those who place caches with good coordinates will do so if they have a ten year old GPSr, an Oregon 600 series, or an iphone.

"More improved" huh? Ever go to a pin-the-flag contest at an event?

Those with the same model "more improved" GPSr, coords flags aren't in the same spot for some reason...

Ok so say this is implemented...what will it do? I take a $50 etrex and take multiple readings with 15 satellites, and that's supposedly worse than one reading with major cloud cover, solar storms and only 6 satellites from a $600 a GPS?

And even if it did matter- how will that help when the finders GPS is off? Or when the cache wasn't put back at the same place?

The fact that only a handful of COs place their caches using best practices (averaging at different times with the constellation in a couple of different configurations) makes the idea moot for most caches. As I recall, the 'official' gc.com app still doesn't even support that method of marking a waypoint.

The cachers that do a lousy job of getting a good set of coordinates for their caches develop a reputation, as do the ones that do a good job of it, and you adjust after a while based upon the 'name' associated with a given cache.

And if this were implemented, I'd lie about what I use, because people have an irrational fear about smartphone hides. :ph34r: So the information would be inaccurate anyway.

I mention that I use my Garmin on my hides for this exact reason, even though most times my iPhone has been more accurate.

I took about a hundred reading when I reinstalled my salmon cache. Walked away came back. Came from this angle, that angle, this day next day....sunny rainy,,,,, left my Garmin there for a while... my iPhone gave me the same numbers each and every time, but my Garmin came back with some wacky results.

But hey, placed w my Garmin makes everyone feel soo much better.!

You could always put the info in the cache description. I've seen some where the CO mentioned averaging the coords, and what the estimated accuracy was. That's more important than what unit they used, anyway. My Etrex 20 can be as accurate as 8', or as far out as 30' or more, depending on the weather and terrain.

Obviously you don't have one of the older iPhones.

Obviously, you don't have one of the older GPSrs.

My old eTrex Vista HC will be a good bit older than your iPhone, and is still the most stable (minimal drift) and accurate (with averaging) unit I own.

My Venture Cx also works great for this game, as did my Geko 201 and my GPS V, and my GPS III+.

Yep, it isn't what you have, but rather how you use it.

I can't help but wonder if someone might want this option just so they can let everyone else know what they have.

Okay, you've got a brand new $700 GPS but how is that going to help me find your cache?

I guess the point was to get some idea of your expected search area. For example something like.

GPSr: iPhone A1324 => 15 m search radius

GPSr: Leica ALS60 => 15 cm radius

well, obviously depending on the expected accuracy of your own GPSr as well.

But as already pointed out the accuracy depends more on the operator and his/her effort than on the device itself. Averaging with some good old device in an offset location (and correcting the coords for the offset) with better sky view, will likely give better coordinates than a snapsot at the cache location with some state of the art flagship consumer GPSr.

Conclusion: if this was the intention, then maybe a plain number reflecting the expected accuracy in feet or meters, would serve much better, especialy if the finders could (and would) easily "vote" (preferably by inputting their own coords+accurcy) this number up or down. As always, the FTF-hunters are "beta testers" of new caches.

Edited by LQ

Conclusion: if this was the intention, then maybe a plain number reflecting the expected accuracy in feet or meters, would serve much better, especialy if the finders could (and would) easily "vote" (preferably by inputting their own coords+accurcy) this number up or down. As always, the FTF-hunters are "beta testers" of new caches.

I'm curious what the process is for determining projected accuracy of a cache that is not hidden next to a USGS benchmark is.

You're not going to suggest the GPSr's reported EPE is the correct value, considering that is about as accurate as the bars your cell phone displays to indicate "signal strength".

For the vote, what happens when 10 cachers using an iPhone 3G report their (not averaged) coords vs the original hider's 10 minute averaging with a Garmin Montana. Does the listing now skew toward the cell tower triangulated location?

... especialy if the finders could (and would) easily "vote" (preferably by inputting their own coords+accurcy) this number up or down. As always, the FTF-hunters are "beta testers" of new caches.

As to the latter - when I find a cache that is 30+ feet from posted, I post alternate averaged coordinates. The site allows a very convenient mechanism for doing so when logging a cache.