Bike Mounts for New Garmin GPS

I just got a Garmin 64s as a replacement for my older 60csx. So far, my biggest disappointment is the new style bike mount Garmin is offering. Does anyone know of any third party offerings?

I liked the old style I had for the 60csx, but of course, Garmin designed the newer units so they can't be used with the older mounts. I am really put off about the idea of using cable ties / zip ties to secure the GPS to my handlebars. For starters, it makes the whole thing look home-made. I also have doubts about the security of the mounting. I don't do too much technical single track, but I do like to ride off road, I use the GPS to track mileage and related stats and I use the bike to get to trailheads when I do go 'caching.

Are there any other solutions?

I just got a Garmin 64s as a replacement for my older 60csx. So far, my biggest disappointment is the new style bike mount Garmin is offering. Does anyone know of any third party offerings?

I liked the old style I had for the 60csx, but of course, Garmin designed the newer units so they can't be used with the older mounts. I am really put off about the idea of using cable ties / zip ties to secure the GPS to my handlebars. For starters, it makes the whole thing look home-made. I also have doubts about the security of the mounting. I don't do too much technical single track, but I do like to ride off road, I use the GPS to track mileage and related stats and I use the bike to get to trailheads when I do go 'caching.

Are there any other solutions?

backpack

You can try Ram Mount and see if they have anything but they will be heavy on your bars...I run Ram mounts on my Dirt bikes and Quads.....I have a Garmin Oregon so not real sure what is available for the 64...

I run the standard Garmin mount on my Mountain bike and haven't had any issues...The Zip ty mounts may not look real trick but they function and the mount is light weight...I mount mine to my steering head clamp and not the bars....I ride pretty difficult single track and have had "0" issues with the mount....

Edited by basscat5

backpack

Yeah, but how are you supposed to read it while riding? Right now, I am using the carabiner clip that comes with the unit and hanging it on my hydration unit from a D ring. It is secure, but very difficult awkward to read.

This is a big enough negative for me that I am on the verge of returning the 64s and making one more attempt at getting my old 60csx repaired.

You can try Ram Mount and see if they have anything but they will be heavy on your bars...I run Ram mounts on my Dirt bikes and Quads.....I have a Garmin Oregon so not real sure what is available for the 64...

I run the standard Garmin mount on my Mountain bike and haven't had any issues...The Zip ty mounts may not look real trick but they function and the mount is light weight...I mount mine to my steering head clamp and not the bars....I ride pretty difficult single track and have had "0" issues with the mount....

Ram Mount, hunh? May need to check that out. As for the weight . . . Trust me, I'm more worried about <b>MY</b> weight than the weight of a clamp on the bike! :-{)}

By "steering head clamp" I am envisioning this as the point where the bars meet the bar clamp. Hmmm . . . That would solve the GPS rotation problem I've seen most often commented on, but on my bike, the extension may not be long enough. That position will not work on my touring road bike either as I have a handlebar bag with a mounting system that will interfere with mounting the GPS there.

Edited by PghDragonRider

I agree the usual style of cable ties look makeshift, and a better clamp to hold it onto handlebars would.be an improvement. But google "low profile cable ties" if a cleaner look is what you're after.

The aesthetics are not my primary concern, but security of the mounting is. I'm a member of a big outdoor member supported chain and this is the number one feedback issue I've seen regarding this mount. As for looks . . . I mean I wear bike shorts, so I can't be that hung up about looks.

I'm a big fan of the Ram mounts. I have them on both my bikes.

I wouldn't be concerned about weight. Just make sure you have a piece of rubber in between the plastic ring mount and the handlebars and the mount won't move.

I just looked at Ram's site. I didn't see a cradle for the 64. I have Oregons to I'm not familiar with the 6x series, but if the 64s has the same form factor as the 62, then go with the 62 cradle.

The aesthetics are not my primary concern, but security of the mounting is. I'm a member of a big outdoor member supported chain and this is the number one feedback issue I've seen regarding this mount. As for looks . . . I mean I wear bike shorts, so I can't be that hung up about looks.

My son goes on very long rides on his bikes, doing all kinds of stunts and downhill sections and he's never once feared about losing his eTrex 20, which I think uses the same mount/cable ties.

IMG_9708.jpeg

This is one of his recent rides.

IMG_9524.jpeg

There is absolutely nothing to worry about with that mount.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

I also use that mount for my Etrex30, and while the cable ties may look a bit jury-rigged they're fine, this is how I have it mounted and it's very secure, though it may be different if mounted perpendicularly across the handlebars. I believe this mount is more secure than the older style which my Vista had, which fell off a couple of times - which is why I still loop the lanyard of the GPS round the handlebars just in case.

b83bc83d-f5a7-4292-af90-ddac4b01f902.jpg?rnd=0.5955264

Edited by MartyBartfast

I also use that mount for my Etrex30, and while the cable ties may look a bit jury-rigged they're fine, this is how I have it mounted and it's very secure, though it may be different if mounted perpendicularly across the handlebars. I believe this mount is more secure than the older style which my Vista had, which fell off a couple of times - which is why I still loop the lanyard of the GPS round the handlebars just in case.

b83bc83d-f5a7-4292-af90-ddac4b01f902.jpg?rnd=0.5955264

This is what I meant by mounting it to the Clamp........I have had mine mounted just like this for a couple of years with no issues.....

As far as weight.....I don't mind using the Ram mounts on my Dirt bikes and Quad but a Ram mount adds quite a bit of weight up high on the bars if you are really riding on more difficult trails..I tend to feel it more on my Mountain Bikes.....Ram Mounts are the best deal going though in the right applications...

Edited by basscat5

This issue with the bike mount is becoming a non-issue: the GPS is going back. I am having problems with inaccurate mileage readings (it will jump a bunch of miles), it seems to record mileage even with the unit powered down, reading that I am moving even though the GPS is stationary on a desktop and some other things, like being slower to acquire a lock than my 60csx.

I have had no problems with the location aspects of the GPS, but all the other problems adds up to a return.

BTW, that's a beautiful Salsa!

OK, this does not happen very often :rolleyes: , but when I make a huge error of judgement, I am big enough to admit it.

I made one more attempt with the 64s, and I'm glad I did. With the raves it has been getting, I figured it has be be *something* if I'm the only one not getting good results. Turns out ,DOH! I never updated the firmware after getting the unit. After performing the firmware update and checking some config settings, I took it on a ride with my old 60csx so I could compare the two side by side. Now the 64s did indeed lock on faster and the mileage did not jump.

I also ordered the Garmin bike mount: I just could not see my way to the price of the Ram Mount, especially since I need to outfit two bikes, so that would double the base cost. It is still going to take some getting used to it, but I think the 64s is a keeper.