new subcategory

I am interested in old barns, but not the ones in the barn category. I would like a subcategory of barns that fall into the category of rundown, ramshakle, broken down, in disrepair, shabby, battered, beat-up, rickety, crumbling, in ruins, decayed, decrepit, neglected, uncared for, untended, falling to pieces. They are all over Ohio where I live and all over the world. everyone has a story to tell, if you stop and listen. The rules are simple, take 2 photos, record gps coordinates, road, city or township, state and country. tell a little about the condition and maybe how long you think it has been since it was abandoned or since it's been in disrepair. Please consider my proposal because I really like old barns. Thank You, Lonewolf5929.

lonewolf,

Kudos for bringing your category idea to the forums for a discussion. I hope you get some good constructive feedback from other waymarkers.

Based on your description, I have two comments:

I would like a subcategory of barns that fall into the category of rundown, ramshakle, broken down, in disrepair, shabby, battered, beat-up, rickety, crumbling, in ruins, decayed, decrepit, neglected, uncared for, untended, falling to pieces.

1. Why would I want to see something in such disrepair?

They are all over Ohio where I live and all over the world.

2. Is there possibly an issue with overprevalence? There are LOTS of those barns here in Oklahoma, too!

Hello, does anybody want to help me get my category started? I guess I need members to be officers, I think this is a good idea. The barn category looks like its for special barns and the unoccupied buildings cat. is not for barns. Please let me know if you can help.

Thank's, Lonewolf5929

I would rather look at an old barn than a pie chart, bar graph or a spreadsheet any day.

Me, too! But luckily there are no Waymarking categories for spreadsheets and the like, so this comparison is a bit off-the-wall.

I am not convinced of your idea, yet. I have seen much worse proposals, that's true, but they usually did not make it in peer review.

You can try it, if you really want to. But be prepared for a hard fight a be prepared to fail! It's nothing personal, most proposals fail today.

Check Manville possums profile and you will understand. O.K. I guess I came to the party late. I will continue to take photos of old barns for my own enjoyment and just post to cats. already listed if I run into something interesting to me. Thanks for the heads up.

Lonewolf5929

Edited by lonewolf5929

Hi lonewolf5929

I find your total lack of online Geocaching history interesting. Not actually a bad thing. Just interesting. In my case you will find a total lack of Waymarking history. And there is a very good reason for that. I always looked at Waymarking as a zero interest activity for me. But considering the direction it continues to follow, how long will it be before I feel exactly the same way about Geocaching.

I read the Forums to try to keep informed on many aspects of our GPS based hobbies. I clicked on your category proposal without any expectation of interest at all. And a strange thing happened. That is the FIRST proposal I have ever read that I found really quite interesting. Whenever I am out in the world, no matter why I am there, I will always take the time to investigate relic of the past type structures. And yes that includes barns. And yes we have our share of them in Pennsylvania.

Sadly, the previous responders are probably correct when they indicate this proposal has no future. They are familiar experienced names. That does not mean it doesn't hold any interest for anyone. Perhaps you could post some of your photographs to nearby cache find pages. I would look at them.

Note: I originally forgot I was in my non-Premium forum reading account when I posted this. I am not trying to hide my opinions behind that account, and have now correctly re-posted.

I just recently returned to Ohio and retired, so I was busy working for the last 50 years. I had a geocaching acc. about 5 years ago and just started back. I am 67 years old so I am a little late to the hobby. Like I told fi67 I will take pictures of what I want and if any of them fall into a category I will post them, if they don't I will keep them to myself. I don't plan on spending any valuable time on something nobody wants to see. I am just trying to fill some time during the summer outside. This was my first and last proposal.

Thank's, Lonewolf5929.

Check Manville possums profile and you will understand. O.K. I guess I came to the party late. I will continue to take photos of old barns for my own enjoyment and just post to cats. already listed if I run into something interesting to me. Thanks for the heads up.

Lonewolf5929

Understand what? I take photos for my own enjoyment too and store them here on the Waymarking site? :anicute: I'm so busted! :laughing:

I wish you understood that we really are trying to help you by providing feedback on your category idea! The feedback given in the forums can save you a tremendous amount of work: putting together a group, recruiting members, writing up a proposal, tweaking it, sending it to peer review and then dealing with the negative comments only to find that the idea wasn't going to pass.

We really are trying to be helpful.