Lamp Posts

Does anybody know where the first LPC was hidden and who began the trend?

A group of us were discussing this over dinner and found it very interesting.

No one will ever know for sure, but I believe the consensus was a 2001 or 2002 placed cache in California, in a Medical Office complex parking lot. It was small tupperware, not a micro, and I'll bet someone will come along with a link.

The first such cache in my area -- still active, and on my favorites list -- was hidden in 2003. It mentioned a cache "out west" as its inspiration. Looking at the owner's finds, I came across GC71FA in St. George, Utah, hidden July 16, 2002. Can anyone top that?

I don't know about GC71FA. Based on the hint it seems that it was a FPC (flag pole) not a LPC. However I wonder if FPC's and LPC's have kind of a neanderthal - human type relationship.

The first LPC that I heard about was the Midtown Mini Cache (GC2A3) in Bryant Park, NYC. Hidden on 02/14/2001 and archived just after 9/11 when the plate at the bottom of the lamp post was replaced and sealed up. Read the description, it's a hoot.

For those keeping score, the first GR cache I found was Joe Blow placed 09/01/2002, I'm sure there were some earlier, but there's a baseline to start with.

Edited by nikcap

It definitely is interesting to speculate who the first person to do this was. I mean, someday in the distant past someone was leaving a K-Mart and said, "By gosh! There just needs to be a geocache right in the middle of this parking lot!"

They are fun to drive by though, particularly in areas you frequent often. Good chance to spot other cachers.

The first LPC that I heard about was the Midtown Mini Cache (GC2A3) in Bryant Park, NYC. Hidden on 02/14/2001 and archived just after 9/11 when the plate at the bottom of the lamp post was replaced and sealed up. Read the description, it's a hoot.

For those keeping score, the first GR cache I found was Joe Blow placed 09/01/2002, I'm sure there were some earlier, but there's a baseline to start with.

[Panthera leo You Panthera leo]

I used to eat lunch in the shadows of Patience and Fortitude on a regular basis in the summer of '78. I had a summer job in the midtown offices of a stock brokerage and couldn't afford to eat much more than hot dogs.

You've got me beat by almost two years. I'm pretty sure the first time I saw this technique was on a trip to Nashville in April '04. And we saw a lot of them on that trip. I was puzzled why so many had camo tape on them though.

I'd like to know the circumstances surrounding that first hider learning that the skirt could be lifted. Were they a maintenance worker that had known that for years as part of their job? Did they see a drug-dealer stash some drugs under one? Were they a drug-dealer? Did they have a thing for bolts? Oh so many possibilities... :laughing:

I'd like to know the circumstances surrounding that first hider learning that the skirt could be lifted. Were they a maintenance worker that had known that for years as part of their job? Did they see a drug-dealer stash some drugs under one? Were they a drug-dealer? Did they have a thing for bolts? Oh so many possibilities... :laughing:

This post made me giggle. Thanks to all for the great information.

The first such cache in my area -- still active, and on my favorites list -- was hidden in 2003. It mentioned a cache "out west" as its inspiration. Looking at the owner's finds, I came across GC71FA in St. George, Utah, hidden July 16, 2002. Can anyone top that?

Hmmm...9 years, 427 finds............and 1 favorite. :unsure:

My first lamp post skirt find was in Littleton Colorado, in a gorgeous little park, It was a hot spring day, and the area partly shaded by pine and aspen trees, flowers in bloom the area cool and inviting. My wife and I searched, and searched, almost giving up; sat on the bench and gave it more thought. One of the clues was to be strong, I wonder if the lamppost next to the bench was real and I tried to pick up. Not able to move it on the first try, I grabbed for a better handhold and pulled up the skirt. We never knew the skirt could be move that easily, and we found the cache. While GCTE8T has been archive it is still one of my favorite cache memories.

Everyone have a great weekend

Jay

Colorado Bear

Hmmm...9 years, 427 finds............and 1 favorite. :unsure:

And actually, it's a flag pole in a Cemetery. Not to split hairs or anything, but a flag pole is not a lamp post. :laughing: I mean sure, you have the whole lifting up of a cover, but it's just not the same as dodging soccer mom's in minivans in a parking lot.

And actually, it's a flag pole in a Cemetery. Not to split hairs or anything, but a flag pole is not a lamp post. :laughing: I mean sure, you have the whole lifting up of a cover, but it's just not the same as dodging soccer mom's in minivans in a parking lot.

Dodging? I'm usually in parking lots because I'm looking for soccer moms. :) I would much prefer a flag pole in a cemetery to a lamp post in a Timmy's lot. Usually just have to dodge the one maintenance guy.

Dodging? I'm usually in parking lots because I'm looking for soccer moms. :) I would much prefer a flag pole in a cemetery to a lamp post in a Timmy's lot. Usually just have to dodge the one maintenance guy.

Timmy's lot? And you are not Canadian.

You've got me beat by almost two years. I'm pretty sure the first time I saw this technique was on a trip to Nashville in April '04. And we saw a lot of them on that trip. I was puzzled why so many had camo tape on them though.

The first wasn't in Nashville.

I remember finding my first in Nashville. I think that it was hidden by Southpaw in 2002. I remember that the cache page had a note that stated that the cache owner had seen one like this somewhere (Ohio maybe?).

Yes, but Western N.Y., and we're practically Canadian. And you can see the next Timmy's from the one you're at, just like in Canada. :P

Yes, but Western N.Y., and we're practically Canadian. And you can see the next Timmy's from the one you're at, just like in Canada. :P

Yeah I was in Niagara Falls and Buffalo two weeks ago and saw lots of them.

"TIMMY HO's"

Was in the Greater Niagara Region two weeks ago ... EAST of Canada ... Yeeessssssssssssssssssss east of Canada?!?!?! (how does that happen?)

We were logging into The Western New York Fizzy Challenge.

The Team of Chicago-Land cachers I was with mentioned a blog and were frequently referencing "Timmy Ho's".

?? TIMMY HO ?? ... I had no clue,; sooooooo there I sat in puzzled silence until we pulled into a parking lot for an early AM munchy.

Aaaaaaaahhhhhhh Haaaaaaaaaaa ... the lights came on full blast and we bagged "A Timmy Ho" ... Just because of the side reference to an inside joke.

Some days you just need a special early morning treat and a cache to take the edge off.

The disdained P&G LPC gave us the opportunity to get the last remaining ticks off as well ... soooooooo there is a place for those nasty vile P&G / LPC,s

"TIMMY HO's"

Was in the Greater Niagara Region two weeks ago ... EAST of Canada ... Yeeessssssssssssssssssss east of Canada?!?!?! (how does that happen?)

live in Canada and had a 2 day drive west to get to Niagara Falls

Oh and i kept on drivng and went through Ohio where Timmys is called a Cafe and Bakery.