What kind of cache container do you use?

Parrot~Trekkers

I was wondering what kind of cache containers everyone prefers. Personally, I like to get ammo cans, paint over the scary text (200 tracer rounds for M-60 MG), and put an official geocaching sticker on them. Are there benefits to using one type of container over another? I'm fairly new to caching and would appreciate comments, especially from you seasoned verterans.

David "TPT"

PS. I get all my ammo cans from General Merchadise Store near Pataskala, Ohio. Good prices!

David, Jan, Hannah, Tyler, Rebecca, and Maggie the Geocaching Dog!

http://www.muskingumriver.com

Ammo cans are great for rural areas but for a small park in the middle of a town then I use a tupperware type container, they are not as durable but they also don't attract alot of unwanted attention. I have several out now in tupperware containers that I am going to switch out for ammo cans when I do my end of year inspections.

If you don't mind me asking, what is the price of the cans up there?

They have several sizes where I get mine. They range from $2.99 on up to about $10. I prefer the M-60 cans for $3.99, but I noticed they have 50MM cans for $5.99. They even have a bunch of the heavy PVC mortar containers, a bit big for standard caches, but would be good for those deep woods caches.

I like Army decon kit boxes. They're dark green and measure approx. 4 1/4in. tall by 3 1/4in. wide by 2in. long. They are made of extra heavy duty plastic and have a removable water tight lid that seals really well. They even have a small hook to attach as needed. At $1.79 they are easy on the pocket. I bought the last ones at Army Surplus Warehouse at http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/categoryDetail.cfm?catagory=10&start=26

The first aid kits are nice also, if you can find them, they are appox 6X8X3 inches tall with a watertight seal. But the best overall is still the ammo cans, price and durablity wise (and availablity wise also)

They are not good in urban areas since they seem to cause some people to panic and call bomb squad.

I make mine out of 4" PVC pipe and then cammo paint them. I geta lot of complements on them. The best part is that PVC is naturally water proof and it will never rest. The only downside is that the space is a little limited. I am thinking about trying 6" PVC for my next container.

mystats.php?userid=Lord+Elwood&vopt=link&txtdata=Stats+Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

Step lightly and carry a big gun.

Thanks for the tip greengecko! That is an incredible website. The decon boxes look great, and best of all they don't rust!

quote:
Originally posted by greengecko:

I like Army decon kit boxes. They're dark green and measure approx. 4 1/4in. tall by 3 1/4in. wide by 2in. long. They are made of extra heavy duty plastic and have a removable water tight lid that seals really well. They even have a small hook to attach as needed. At $1.79 they are easy on the pocket. I bought the last ones at Army Surplus Warehouse at http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/categoryDetail.cfm?catagory=10&start=26

quote:
Originally posted by Lord Elwood:

I make mine out of 4" PVC pipe and then cammo paint them. I geta lot of complements on them. The best part is that PVC is naturally water proof and it will never rest. The only downside is that the space is a little limited. I am thinking about trying 6" PVC for my next container.

If you don't mind saying... how much do you spend on containers like that? Ive only made one pvc container, and it was ~$5 for just the ends (one fixed cap, a cleanout trap and the center plug). I already had the cement and some 4".

Did I do it wrong? or are they that expensive?

-------------------------------

"You see, if a group is going to represent people, it needs to be in touch with those people." -Frolickin

I really do not know off the top of my head. I have a friend who owns a couple of hardware stores and he lets me get materials at cost. So it is pretty cheap for me. I am going shopping for some more containers this weekend, so I will let you know what I paid and what the retail cost is.

mystats.php?userid=Lord+Elwood&vopt=link&txtdata=Stats+Rule!&bgcol=FFFFFF&fgcol=000000

Step lightly and carry a big gun.

Our first cache was a tupperwear container. That didn't last too long before some creature wrecked it. We now use 2 different sizes of ammo cans for caches. Nothing has wrecked one of those yet.

I like the idea of using PVC pipe. We will have to try that on our next one.

Edited by pwb
Our first cache was a tupperwear container. That didn't last too long before some creature wrecked it. We now use 2 different sizes of ammo cans for caches. Nothing has wrecked one of those yet.

I like the idea of using PVC pipe. We will have to try that on our next one.

PVC pipe works well, it is durable, watertight, made to almost any size and can be painted. The only negatives are that the end fittings are not cheap and they can be a real bear to open without tools if they are closed too tight and it is easy real easy to close them too tight. I've used a little petroleum jelly on the threads, that seems to help a bit.

I prefer finding ammo cans, since they usually have enough stuff to keep the kids interested. I like hiding a different container each time. I have used some more than once, but those weren't intended to be difficult to find. Team 360 is the only that had trouble finding my 1.5/1.5 cache ;) and I have the pictures to prove it! :mad: He's made up for it though with his insane ideas for new containers.

My only cache to date is an old pickle jar, and still has holes in the lid from last summer when my nieces used it to catch lightning bugs! (Nope, no lightning bug carcasses) I'm not concerned about moisture due to the location it's hidden, it'll stay dry, and the humidity around here never gets very high, either. My next one is one of my wife's tupperware containers.....she hasn't missed it yet, and probably won't for some time. She's such a good cook that we seldom have leftovers!

My first (and only cache to date) one was a 6" pvc tube. Got pieces from a friend at work so don't know the cost. To help get the screw on lid off I epoxied a long galvanized bolt thru the square nut on the cover. Haven't had any problems and there's a ton of room for stuff. Fits nicely in rotten tree trunks.

I like the idea of the bolt through the lid for leverage. In another thread somewhere here, people were discussing the problems with getting the screw-on lids off of PVC caches, and someone had found a test plug at the hardware store that keeps everything watertight and comes off easily enough. I tried to find the thread, but couldn't, sorry.

I will take a log 2 feet in diameter and two feet long. I will split it and take a roughter to the center. Making a hole big enought for a peanutbutter jar. I will cut out a place for two hinges. Self camoed, self hidding when placed in a wood pile or along fallen logs. Only draw back, they weight about 40 lb. I will only hide them less than a half mile from where I park. Cache Commando

I like to use all the different size ammo cans, depending on the location, and of course sanded, and then painted and labeled! I like using cutdown paintball pods for my micros but have gotten a few of the new black decon containers that work really well! I also use tupperware and the round and square rubbermaid containers and as always, sanded and painted and labeled. I have also used painted round altoid tins, the breath strip tins, 35 mm film cannisters, hollowed out logs, fake urban boxes, fake bird houses, etc. My wife says I have a disease where I look at everything and try to figure out how to make a cache out of it! I am saving my used gas meter and electric meter for something special! ;)

Now if I can only buy a parking meter.......

Darkmoon