How Do I Find A Washed Away Geocache?

Timberfell

Where The Water Goes (GC53VT8) has washed away in a flood! It's in a drainage section, so it can't float away and is in a contained search area. It's a standard Shop Geocaching ammo can. What's the easiest way to find it? Is it a waste of time to try? Is anybody in MD willing to help search?

I've looked at the aerial map of the area. I imagine it mus have been washed into the pond... That's quite a big area to search, especially if it took on water and sank... I wouldn't hold out much hope.

You might get more useful information if you look at a topography map. There's quite a large hill in between it and the pond -- and the land slopes down, away from the pond. It'd probably be washed away from the pond, down the drainage creek. There are a LOT of bushes there, though, so I'm wondering if I can find it.

Edited by Timberfell

Where The Water Goes (GC53VT8) has washed away in a flood! It's in a drainage section, so it can't float away and is in a contained search area. It's a standard Shop Geocaching ammo can. What's the easiest way to find it? Is it a waste of time to try? Is anybody in MD willing to help search?

I don't understand.

Can't you go out and do maintenance on your cache?

You already asked locals for help on the cache page...

Plastic ammo can from Groundspeak, sure it isn't bobbing like a cork somewhere for a non-cacher to find by now?

It could be covered by a thick layer of mud, I'm not sure if even magnet would help.

If there's a lot of trash in that pond, it's a good pretext to organize a CITO.

Please note that even looking for a body can take police weeks and many people searching, and they are proffesionals, and the body is quite big compared to typical cache container.

I don't understand.

Can't you go out and do maintenance on your cache?

You already asked locals for help on the cache page...

Plastic ammo can from Groundspeak, sure it isn't bobbing like a cork somewhere for a non-cacher to find by now?

I'm pretty sure no one is just gonna be wandering around in that area.

Was it in the spillway?

If so, I would've thought that east-coasters had learned a thing or two as of late.

Next time, try using a (very) heavy chain.

I thought it wasn't, as I actually placed the cache a yard or so above the waterline DURING the last major flood on April 30th, but this flood had even more water.

It could be covered by a thick layer of mud, I'm not sure if even magnet would help.

If there's a lot of trash in that pond, it's a good pretext to organize a CITO.

Please note that even looking for a body can take police weeks and many people searching, and they are professionals, and the body is quite big compared to typical cache container.

Mud? Hmm. That's true. It's plastic, though, and filled with air. What's the worst thing that could happen to it, barring getting carried away by someone? (<-- not a rhetorical question)

The county takes care of the pond (thanks, rain tax . . .).

Please note that I'm prepared to search for as long as it takes . . .

Are you positive it washed away? Non-geocachers could have discovered the container and taken it.

1) The chances of someone walking down there (never mind across the creek) are slim. It's very out of the way. 2) You can't see the thing from across the creek, even when the bark and leaves is off. You'd actually have to cross the creek to see it, much less discriminate it from a piece of trash.

Edited by Timberfell

follow the water flow and check the banks near all of the bends. If the water flows towards the ponds check the ponds, if the water flows into the pond but there's also a part flowing out of the pond, start following the second part and check the bends etc... there too.

Basically just keep following the water flow and check any bends, ponds, banks etc... thoroughly, i personally wouldn't hold too much hope though, once flood water catches a hold of something it's usually gone.

follow the water flow and check the banks near all of the bends. If the water flows towards the ponds check the ponds, if the water flows into the pond but there's also a part flowing out of the pond, start following the second part and check the bends etc... there too.

Basically just keep following the water flow and check any bends, ponds, banks etc... thoroughly, i personally wouldn't hold too much hope though, once flood water catches a hold of something it's usually gone.

Thank you. Yours has been the most helpful reply on this topic.