Flatlanders: What do you carry your stuff in?

CYBret

I'm posting this thread here because I'd really rather have input from people who live and cache in terrain that's similar to mine. I'm in Central Illinois, mostly flat, but quite a few good hills and ravines that people like to hide caches in/on. I've rarely had to walk over a mile to get to a cache. I feel like these factors really need to be taken in when considering what kind of pack to use while geocaching.

When I first began, I used the pack in this picture. I recently changed to a different pack, more durable, but still about the same size. These are fairly handy, easy to carry, hold a few goodies, and attach to your belt to keep them out of the way. However, after a few recent caching trips I've realized I need something a little bigger and probably should go ahead and get a backpack of some sort.

Obviously I'm not looking for anything very big. Just enough room for my equipment (gps, compass, extra batteries), trade items, probably a small first aid kit, room for a bottle of water, etc. I'm pretty clueless about what's out there backpack wise and looking at pictures online seldom gives me any idea of size.

So, what are you using? Thanks for any suggestions!

Bret

39219_2500.gif "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

I've used a couple of different backpacks...mostly just cheap ones I've found at Walmart or whatever. I recently picked up a military Camelbak HAWG from Team Shuey on here. It's fairly large in size, but there are straps so you can reduce the "bulk" if you don't have much in it. I've used it for Geocaching, hiking, bicycling etc. and it's fit all of those needs perfectly. It's also nice because it includes the 100oz (3L) water reservoir with it, and that goes into a separate pouch in the pack...so there's no need to carry along extra water bottles, unless you're on a really long hike.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

Mountainsmith makes some wonderful packs called "lumbar packs" Sorta between fanny packs and backpacks. Great support and freedom of movement on the trail. http://www.mountainsmith.com/store/?page=shop/browse&category_id=42efaff6c196d1bf02567389567e2738

I actually have the Gregory lumbar pack, but it doesn't appear to be available anymore. Gregory just seems to make water-bottle fanny packs.

For a little larger pack with versitility, comfort, and light weight, I have the Lowe Alpine klettersack. Sorta like a satchel with shoulder straps. loose fitting and less backpack like than a real backpack. Hmmm, don't seem to make that anymore, either. Nor my Kelty 5500 cu/in external frame pack. Guess it has been a while since I shopped for packs!

For even more versitility, but a little less comfort than a lumbar pack, try a Lowe Pro OffRoad. http://www.lowepro.com/pages/series/trekking/offroad.htm The side pods are removeable, and padded. They make great waterbottle holders if you don't have lenses to carry in there, fits as a single shoulder strap or with a tuck-away padded waist belt. I've got this one too, and haul a lot of camera gear with it.

If you go with a light pack, try to find something with contoured padded shoulder straps. it makes a heavy load seem light, and offers more freedom for shoulder movement. Also remember you are going to get hot, so look for a pack with venting or netting across the back, and padding to keep sharp things from poking you.

Steve

The pack I carry and I've had it for years is my L.L.Bean Daypack. It's not too big and it's big enough to carry everything you need. I usally if there is any walking or I'm doing several caches bring: GPS, extra Batteries, Flashlight(a trusty Maglight) Rain gear, water, first aid kit, trailmix, compass, matchs and always with me is flint and steal. Also have all my stuff I stick in the caches I find. But LL Bean has alot of good stuff and alot of stuff have lifetime warringtons.

Beavers are a Proud and Noble Animal. Big Mike

I use a timex epedition satchel I got at Meijer for $20. Not a belt thingy but in the winter I wear a longer coat so an over-the-shoulder thing works best for me and I like the 'swing around to the front' ability of a satchel so I can rummage without taking it completely off or stopping.

It fits all the stuff I 'need'. GPS, camera, few extra log books (cache first aid), extra pencils, 6-8 trash out canisters, my sig cards, extra batteries, and I still have room for my sig items when they are done.

I'm in MI but find myself in the same kind of terraing you describe. Rarely more than a mile walk and generally flat.

I gave up backpacks unless I'm biking.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Assimilating golf balls - one geocache at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I checked out all these webpages and most of the packs look really good. However, I failed to tell you all, I'M REALLY CHEAP! tongue.gif

One thing I've been considering is instead of a backpack/daypack/fannypack going with a camera bag. I've seen a lot of them that can be worn as backpacks and a lot more that will attach to your belt. They've got all kinds of different pockets for different pieces of equipment and come in a wide range of sizes.

I've been checking out a few of them at some camera stores and other places. Just wondering if anyone's gone with this option or has noticed any of them that would be good for cache bags.

Thanks again!

Oh, and Bronzback....my finger is all healed up. icon_wink.gif

Bret

39219_2500.gif "The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

Came across a hydration pack by Outdoor Products for $20 at Target a few weeks ago. It is a nice size (not tiny like most and not a full sized day pack) with a few different pockets to keep things organized. It would hold what you listed and maybe a jacket or poncho just in case. I think it was a two or three liters. For a low end product, I have never had a problem with Outdoor Prod.

I need to go back one. The girls are big enough to start carrying their own water, rather than drinking from mine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I'm not lost. I'm field checking."

I use a plain ol' wally world backpack for both urban and rural hunts. Fitting for either a brief walk or a long hike.

It neatly holds my multitude of junk: big 35 mm camera, granola bars, first aid stuff, pens/pencils, maps, ponchos, handtowel, sketchbook, and side pocket nets hold two big water bottles.

After this summer's hiking, the pack is rather funkinated and the armstraps are kinda stiff from all the sweating, so probably about time to get a new one..... cheap icon_biggrin.gif

I thought I'd post an update on my search for the proper pack.

Well, to be honest, I went cheap...REAL cheap! I found the pack in the pic below (being modeled by my oldest daughter) in the clearance aisle at Wal-mart. It was originally selling for $9.00 but had been marked down to $3.00.

backpack1.jpg

I looked it over and the design seems promising. A small pocket at the top (where the logo patch is...man...it matches REAL well). I keep my signature items in there for quick access. Two longer pockets on the sides that I keep a flashlight, batteries, and some trash bags in. And a mesh pocket in the middle that I keep my first aid kit in.

Inside is the big open area that I keep my trade items in. There's also a pouch inside that looks like it must have been made for a hydration unit. So, I picked up a platypus bladder for $13.00 at the local camping shop and it fits perfect.

The pack also came with a cellphone holder on one of the straps and has what appears to be slots for carabiners down both straps.

I've not given it a good test yet, but am interested in seeing how well it stands up to abuse. I've found one spot that I thought looked pretty weak and strengthened it by sewing some nylon strapping over it.

I guess if I had one more question it would be is there a name for this design of backpack? If it works out well I'd like to buy a more expensive (and hopefully better made) version of the same design.

Thanks for everyone's input!

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

CYBret's Geocaching Page