Garmin oregon 650

Busy Queenbee

Hi. If I want to create a new waypoint I go into Waypoint manager and then push the side button. Then WP number 21 pops up. Then I save it and I change number 21 into a real name, usually the name of the cache I want to find. Why this number 21?? How can I get it back to number 1, it's not really a problem it's just that i don't get it.

I believe that wp1 is reserved by the garmin operating system, i did read why once but can't remember now. As for the other numbers you could use waypoint manager to find and then delete them if you wish.

Edit

Scrap the above, I just remembered it is 000 that's reserved.

To delete waypoints there are three ways:

Select a Waypoint and tap the edit button (pencil icon) will allow you to select Delete Waypoint

Main Menu>Setup>Reset>Delete All Waypoints will delete all waypoints.

Main Menu>Waypoint Manager>[search/select waypoint]>Delete Waypoint will allow you to delete individual waypoints..

Edited by andyakashrek

I believe that wp1 is reserved by the garmin operating system, i did read why once but can't remember now. As for the other numbers you could use waypoint manager to find and then delete them if you wish.

Hi! I delete always the caches in WP manager after I found them, (when I have a DNFI I leave them if I want a second try later on) but when I push that side button, it is number 21 again, waiting to be re-named. .. I remember when i bought the garmin (my first) in april and started experimenting the WP numbers were 1, 2, 3, etc... until I found my routine and it stuck on 21, like I said before it is not much of a big issue and i already found like 350 caches.. but just curious why i can't get WP numbers back to 1. Actualy VERY curious. Shop owner didn't know. . said I should check Groundspeak. LOL

How can I get it back to number 1

Main Menu > Setup > Reset> Delete

You have to scroll to find "Reset". This deletes all the waypoints, and may take a couple of minutes if there are a lot of them. But once done, you're back to Waypoint 1!

This page mentions three ways to delete Waypoints (see W5):

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Waypoints+and+POIs

Depending on how you manage waypoints, you may end up with multiple Waypoints with the same number (a bunch of "001" or whatever). That may never be a problem for you, but it's something to keep in mind.

Edited by kunarion
How can I get it back to number 1

Main Menu > Setup > Reset> Delete

You have to scroll to find "Reset". This deletes all the waypoints, and may take a couple of minutes if there are a lot of them. But once done, you're back to Waypoint 1!

This page mentions three ways to delete Waypoints (see W5):

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Waypoints+and+POIs

Depending on how you manage waypoints, you may end up with multiple Waypoints with the same number (a bunch of "001" or whatever). That may never be a problem for you, but it's something to keep in mind.

Thx for replying. I think that could be the case: that today I probably manage wp's in a way that I have now a bunch of "21'es".. Maybe I must stop to try to understand WHY. I'm afraid to use the reset. I might loose all the settings/frontscreen/background/logo sequence I got used to. And I wouldn't like to loose the WP's of the caches (about 30) which are still waiting for a try .. Have a nice day! Happy caching!

I'm afraid to use the reset. I might loose all the settings/frontscreen/background/logo sequence I got used to. And I wouldn't like to loose the WP's of the caches (about 30) which are still waiting for a try .. Have a nice day! Happy caching!

It's a good thing you didn't because I made a mistake. It was supposed to be:

Main Menu > Setup > Reset> Delete All Waypoints

As mentioned, you can individually delete all the numbered ones. If you get them all, it will start with "001". I think it also works if you rename them all, but I haven't tried it. I copy everything from my Oregon's GPX folder (also from Profile!), to another drive periodically, so that it's no issue if any ever get deleted.

But any I name any important Waypoint. If I'm in Kenwood Park, it's "KP1, KP2". If I find a strange pile of rocks, "Rockpile". I do keep a pocket sized sketchbook with me when scouting for cache locations. So I can take a bunch of waypoints at the cache spot, and just let it number them, and when I return, I note which one is consistently closest to GZ.

But your plan to just let it go is a good one. It just keeps counting from 21, and that can work, too. :anicute:

Edited by kunarion