Corrected coordinates

suprisefish

If you go to where the coords are for puzzle caches online, there should be a little pencil next to the wrong coordinates. Click that, write the correct coords in, and then you press submit. The new coords should be there.

Hope that helps!! :)

"Correcting" the coordinates that way does not get the map to display them in that location.

And the answer to the original question is, sadly, No.

One possible answer to the original question is GSAK.

To elaborate : if you're running Windows, GSAK allows you to correct your coordinates (within GSAK) and it can then show it in the correct location. But it has a bit of a learning curve and the map is not quite as nice as the Groundspeak map.

Edited by Chrysalides

Is there a way to get the corrected coords for a puzzle cache to display as the default coordinates on the geocaching map? I'm doing this on a computer not a phone if that makes a difference.

They will not show up on the map. They'll only show up on the cache page.

They will.

I add corrected coordinate caches to a bookmark list and run a weekly query of it. When you look at the geomap, select the "pocket queries" tab (it defaults to 'search) And simply pick your query from the list. It will display all your caches added at the correct, corrected coords.

To elaborate : if you're running Windows, GSAK allows you to correct your coordinates (within GSAK) and it can then show it in the correct location. But it has a bit of a learning curve and the map is not quite as nice as the Groundspeak map.

You can also correct the coords on the webpage and then use the GSAK API call instead of PQ and they will be marked as coorected in the db and the coorected column will have a yellow triangle. Then if you have a Garmin you can adjust the output macro to change the title when you export them so you can tell on your Garmin if they are coorected.

You can also correct the coords on the webpage and then use the GSAK API call instead of PQ and they will be marked as coorected in the db and the coorected column will have a yellow triangle. Then if you have a Garmin you can adjust the output macro to change the title when you export them so you can tell on your Garmin if they are coorected.

Didn't know that, thanks! I still use PQs so never paid attention to this. As for corrected coordinates, I have a macro to filter for corrected puzzles and available other types :

MFILTER If=not($d_CacheType="U") and not($d_Found) and not(IsOwner()) and not ($d_Archived) and not ($d_TempDisabled)
MFILTER If=not($d_Found) and $d_HasCorrected and not(IsOwner()) and $d_CacheType="U" and not ($d_Archived) and not ($d_TempDisabled) Join=Or

Is there a way to get the corrected coords for a puzzle cache to display as the default coordinates on the geocaching map? I'm doing this on a computer not a phone if that makes a difference.

They will.

I add corrected coordinate caches to a bookmark list and run a weekly query of it. When you look at the geomap, select the "pocket queries" tab (it defaults to 'search) And simply pick your query from the list. It will display all your caches added at the correct, corrected coords.

Really! That's good to know. I'll have to try that! And the OP is a premium member, so they can, too. B)

Well, how about that! If you get the map through PQ, it does! Wow! I just tried it by going to my PQs and selecting the map preview--and there is was, in the corrected location! Fantastic!

Edited by NanCycle

I hadn't thought of that but it makes sense. Kudos for combining the two to get what you want. Also once imported into GSAK a GPX export will show corrected location on a map. It is the connection to the site being active that causes the problem.

On the phone users forum one of the complaints is that they download a PQ which has coorected of course but when they click on it in the offline list and have internet turned on it "corrects" back to uncorrected.

They will.

Thanks. This is even more useful than what I was originally trying to do because it allows me to filter out unsolved puzzles.

The GSAK GoogleMaps3 macro far surpasses what Groundspeak has to offer.

I would think that if you corrected on the website, used the gsak api call to get caches and then the macro that would also work. Although the hitch is always the internet access so I do wonder if in the act of plotting does it get the coords from GC or stick with what is in GSAK. Probably GSAK.

I prefer to correct online because if a catastrophic computer failure occurred and I hadn't run a backup in some time the corrected would be lost whereas if corrected online they are never lost. I readily admit the likelihood of a failure of this nature is pretty small.

I would think that if you corrected on the website, used the gsak api call to get caches and then the macro that would also work. Although the hitch is always the internet access so I do wonder if in the act of plotting does it get the coords from GC or stick with what is in GSAK. Probably GSAK.

I prefer to correct online because if a catastrophic computer failure occurred and I hadn't run a backup in some time the corrected would be lost whereas if corrected online they are never lost. I readily admit the likelihood of a failure of this nature is pretty small.

I have no idea what your reply has to do with my comment. I was commenting on the idea that the Groundspeak map was better then the one offered in GSAK. I do agree that the basic GSAK map is limited, but when you run the GoogleMap3 macro, you get a highly configurable, full screen map that has several interactive features to send data back to GSAK. It is by far the most important tool that I use in planning a cache outing.

...when you run the GoogleMap3 macro, you get a highly configurable, full screen map that has several interactive features to send data back to GSAK. It is by far the most important tool that I use in planning a cache outing.

Thanks! I have to give that a try tonight. Been a while since I upgraded the GSAK Google Map macro for the split screen. Does it still show the 0.1 mile exclusion zone circle?