Events listed in weekly newsletter

lakedawgs

Since the newsletter update (a year or two ago??), my "nearby events" are completely ridiculous... most are 100+ miles away, and rarely do any local ones show up. I just rec'd my newsletter today -- I am hosting an event tonight only a couple of miles from my home coords, yet the closest event listed is 100.19 miles away(??!!). Over this past weekend, I spoke to another cacher who lives in a different state... he is having the same issues, and has discontinued receiving the newsletter because it's pretty much useless otherwise. We agreed that he articles are nice, but the event listings are (were!) awesome and extremely handy. And honestly, I had better turn-out at my events when the newsletter listed them properly... now I rely more on Facebook to spread the word than Groundspeak.

I really miss the previous format where the events were listed with proximity to your location in mind, not what seems to be just random events based on the state I live in (I guess this is the new method?? I really have no idea what algorithm they're using these days.).

Just venting a little, thanks for listening... now I'm headed over to turn off my newsletter. It just clutters up my mailbox. But would someone tag me if they fix it, so I can turn it back on? LOL

lakedawgs

Where is your home location set to?

Anyway, why would you rely on the newsletter to find out about events? Wouldn't it be better to set up notifications for events? You would know about those when they get published, and have time to make plans, rather than finding out only a week or 2 before.

Since the newsletter update (a year or two ago??), my "nearby events" are completely ridiculous... most are 100+ miles away, and rarely do any local ones show up. I just rec'd my newsletter today -- I am hosting an event tonight only a couple of miles from my home coords, yet the closest event listed is 100.19 miles away(??!!). Over this past weekend, I spoke to another cacher who lives in a different state... he is having the same issues, and has discontinued receiving the newsletter because it's pretty much useless otherwise. We agreed that he articles are nice, but the event listings are (were!) awesome and extremely handy. And honestly, I had better turn-out at my events when the newsletter listed them properly... now I rely more on Facebook to spread the word than Groundspeak.

I really miss the previous format where the events were listed with proximity to your location in mind, not what seems to be just random events based on the state I live in (I guess this is the new method?? I really have no idea what algorithm they're using these days.).

Just venting a little, thanks for listening... now I'm headed over to turn off my newsletter. It just clutters up my mailbox. But would someone tag me if they fix it, so I can turn it back on? LOL

lakedawgs

In case you missed it...

Anyway, why would you rely on the newsletter to find out about events? Wouldn't it be better to set up notifications for events? You would know about those when they get published, and have time to make plans, rather than finding out only a week or 2 before.
Probably for the same reason that people select the "digest" option for mailing lists. Sometimes it's more convenient to get a single message with all the current information, rather than getting a bunch of individual messages, each with a single piece of the current information.
Probably for the same reason that people select the "digest" option for mailing lists. Sometimes it's more convenient to get a single message with all the current information, rather than getting a bunch of individual messages, each with a single piece of the current information.

Of course, that could also be done with a pocket query which just has the "event cache" selected as the only cache type and set a radius to 50 miles, or whatever, and it would return nearby events as a weekly digest.

Of course, that could also be done with a pocket query which just has the "event cache" selected as the only cache type and set a radius to 50 miles, or whatever, and it would return nearby events as a weekly digest.
Yeah, or I could leave the "local events" PQ unscheduled, and just remember to preview it occasionally. Or I could find one local event, then click the "nearby caches of this type" link, and then bookmark the results page. Or...

There's lots of other options, but having a weekly email that lists the upcoming local events is extremely convenient.

Agree entirely - my newsletter includes caches close to me, but the listed events are generally 100 miles away. Occasionally a local one, but only rarely. I wrote to Groundspeak about a year ago, and they replied that they knew about the problem and were working on it. But no change. I am hosting my first event next week, and crossing my fingers that it may be one of the lucky ones that makes the list sent to the local folks!

Pocahontas FW