How Do I Change the Appearance of the Background Image "Tiles"?

AzKat

I will be publishing a new cache listing with a background image. At the bottom of the cache page, I don't like the way the image splits -- only the top portion of the image shows (see photo). I've tried re-sizing the image (smaller) and uploading it again, but the tiles look the same. Any suggestions?

f5ce248f-be24-4b05-b6c3-bec6b5a1f942.jpg?rnd=0.1793161

Edited by AzKat

This isn't a specific suggestions ... just a comment:

Over time, as logs get added and the page gets longer, the "breakpoint" will be different. Ie, the part of the background image that you see at the bottom of the page will change over time.

Good background images can be tricky ...

Keeping derektiffany's comment in mind, you'd have to change the aspect ratio (the shape) of the image to change how it'd fit on the page. If you trim some off the sides, the image will be taller and thus take up more vertical space. If you trim some off the top or bottom, it'll be shorter and thus repeat more often.

How does a person even put a background image on his cache page in the first place. Somewhere someone says u have to have your pictures on a url link.......well how do I get the pics I want to post in my background to even do this ??? I have no idea? Anybody tell me ??
It sounds like you've found the "Background Image URL" field, so all you need is a way to upload the image. For that, see the Help Center article Display an Image in a Geocache Description.

The picture is 'tiling'.... and I don't know details, but I do know....It has to do with multiple things. For instance... You'd need a HUGE photo (huge physical size = HUGE file size). That photo will take a long time to download when you open the cache page (annoying). Because you can't actually write the HTML yourself for the background - Groundspeak probably has a limit on the sizes of photos you can input/download. Again - the time it takes to load a cache page. There's probably a lot more to it than that....but that's my lame attempt at trying to explain it.

The smaller the photo, the more tiles you will have.

How does a person even put a background image on his cache page in the first place. Somewhere someone says u have to have your pictures on a url link.......well how do I get the pics I want to post in my background to even do this ??? I have no idea? Anybody tell me ??

You have to have a photo uploaded to the internet whether its in a webhosting service (like Flickr, etc) or a personal webpage / host, or a photo you uploaded into Groundspeak on a cache log, or a photo you've found online..... The photo has to be stored somewhere out there on the internet.

Once you have a photo stored on the internet, you'll have a link for it. That link is what you use to input into your cache page. Every time someone opens up your cache page - Groundspeak knows where to retrieve the photo (based on your link)to put into the cache page.

Hope that helped.

Use a Note log, and save the photo to the cache page?

Or one of your Archived caches, if you have one.