ATTENTION! Minnesota Geocachers...

Albert&Hush

Financially, how much do you contribute to the Minnesota State Park system?

Aside from taxes, Hush and I both purchase annual vehicle permits at $20 each, We typically camp at a state park about once a month for $8 - $12/night, usually at least two nights per trip, and we may also participate in one or more classes or special activities each season with additional fees in the $40 - $80 dollar range. We also may rent a cabin or other lodging, anywhere from $28 - $100 per night often for multiple nights, and often purchase ice, firewood and other concessions to the tune of at least $50 per year, we also tend to pick up at least one bag of garbage per state park outing at no charge. For an average grand total of over $500 per year. Let's hear from the rest of you Minnesota Geocachers out there... How much have you been contributing? and how much do you expect to contribute in the future if geocaching remains a banned activity? Out of state geocachers and state park patrons?

I have the vehicle permit, and I've camped (but not as often as I'd like too)--I've also purchased the Minnesota Ski Pass, which I think is required to cross-country ski in State Parks (it is sold by the DNR). I've also picked up my share of garbage. I don't have a dollar figure, but I suppose it's a good couple hundred bucks I've given to the State Parks over the 5 years I've lived in Minnesota. The ban on geocaching won't stop me from using the State Parks, but it will keep me from going to State Parks that I wouldn't otherwise go to. 15T

Think Globally, Act Locally

I have bought a yearly pass for about the last 10 years. My current pass expired in October and I have no plans on renewing it or visiting any MN state parks. There idea to ban geocaches is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. The have lost touch with reality and what the parks are for.

I will do my caching in local county parks.

Quite a few of the counties in the Metro area are starting to follow the Geocaching policies started in Ramsey County (where Geocaching is allowed, but with restrictions). Hopefully the State DNR will see this and follow along. There are a few good discussions on this on the MnGCA forums.

Think Globally, Act Locally

MnGCA-Button.gif