Webcam Cache Moved

UMainah

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=322139

Since this topic was closed, I'm starting a new one.

How did the owner manage to get this moved and enabled?

Webcams, like virtuals, are frozen to coordinate updates. That's because it's a grandfathered cache type. Once the webcam is gone from the spot, the cache should be gone with it.I am aware of just one exception made over the years since 2005 when webcams became a grandfathered cache type.

Link to cache in question http://coord.info/GCJR76

Webcams, like virtuals, are frozen to coordinate updates. That's because it's a grandfathered cache type. Once the webcam is gone from the spot, the cache should be gone with it.I am aware of just one exception made over the years since 2005 when webcams became a grandfathered cache type.

Link to cache in question http://coord.info/GCJR76

Only a Lackey would be able to change the coordinates on that cache type. Enabling and Disabling is still an option that would not require any special Admin powers.

Apparently they had help from Groundspeak. Or they implied they did. This is what Google says it means...

Thanks to 'warbler' and the support of GC.Com, this cache can be maintained exceptionally.

The necessary adjustments have been made, and the cache can be done again ...

I thought it was explained quite clearly in the quote above and in the links you provided. There were special circumstances.

Why are you bringing this back? Do you have a grandfathered cache you want to move or know of one?

http://forums.Ground...howtopic=322139

I thought it was explained quite clearly in the quote above and in the links you provided. There were special circumstances.

Why are you bringing this back? Do you have a grandfathered cache you want to move or know of one?

Nope, no vested interests, just curiosity.

I just figured since it is such an exceptionally rare event, only the second known time since the grandfathering of webcam caches, that it warranted a forum discussion.

In the previous example the webcam never left it's local park and there was a fundraising event to replace the broken cam.

Here we have a cam that the owner has been allowing false finds on for over a year. The camera has not been replaced/fixed. There was no fundraising push. A different cam, at a different train station, 1/2mi away was adopted as the cache.

Just wondering what special circumstances compelled Groundspeak to make their second ever exception.

It should have been archived, as a half mile is too far from GZ. What will happen now is that everyone else will want the same treatment. Its interesting without any coord adjustment log, as if they were trying to keep it quiet and avoid anyone posting a thread about it.. :laughing::ph34r:

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

It should have been archived, as a half mile is too far from GZ. What will happen now is that everyone else will want the same treatment. Its interesting without any coord adjustment log, as if they were trying to keep it quiet and avoid anyone posting a thread about it.. :laughing::ph34r:

Doesn't matter what anyone else wants -- their no-precedent guideline clause gives them an out for refusing anything.

Meanwhile, it has been my experience so far that they don't appear to care at all, or even acknowledge what goes on here (see Bug Reports and Feature Suggestions)

If Groundspeak would allow a cache to be disabled for over seven years with no accountability, nothing they allow as exceptions would surprise me.

"no accountability?" - meaning that the reviewer account that owns this cache isn't accountable to you, I presume. Which is quite true.

There are several long disabled caches tied up in negotiations with land management. They are not blocking the placement of new hides, or causing any harm whatever, and the owners can be counted on.

Meanwhile, it has been my experience so far that they don't appear to care at all, or even acknowledge what goes on here (see Bug Reports and Feature Suggestions)

Yet, as a direct consequence of the prior forum thread, volunteer work and lackey work made an exception happen. Quietly, yes, but it was the forum discussion that led to the result.

Volunteers and lackeys make lots of little geocaching miracles happen every day -- from working with the family of a deceased geocacher about what to do with their active caches, to smoothing things over with a land manager whose feathers were ruffled. You don't see forum threads about these things.

There are getting fewer and fewer webcams out there, I am happy for any exception for a well maintained webcam to be allowed to live a little longer. Once did a webcam that had its coordinates at least a mile away. I would have LOVED for it to have been updated. Would have saved so much hassle that day. Had to scroll like 20 logs to find out.

Edited by lamoracke

Yet, as a direct consequence of the prior forum thread, volunteer work and lackey work made an exception happen. Quietly, yes, but it was the forum discussion that led to the result.

Volunteers and lackeys make lots of little geocaching miracles happen every day -- from working with the family of a deceased geocacher about what to do with their active caches, to smoothing things over with a land manager whose feathers were ruffled. You don't see forum threads about these things.

I am aware of a virtual where the object got moved about two miles. There was a plaque that was associated with the virtual but it did not get moved. It was a really neat virtual. A local would log the new coordinates every few logs, but alas, a lackey did the virtual. Not only did the lackey log the cache but also updated the cache listings. I was neat to see an old virtual stay alive since it was a neat thing and did tie into our countries history. A traditional was eventually activated on the same site and at that point the virtual was archived. Had nothing to do with forum discussions but was something nice that happened.

If Groundspeak would allow a cache to be disabled for over seven years with no accountability, nothing they allow as exceptions would surprise me.

Just one? :ph34r:

Why don't you say what you mean rather than hide behind an assemblage of pixels?

To the point: there was a cache in my state that was disabled for six years due to White Nose Disease in bats here in the eastern USA. The cache page was updated periodically to reflect the situation. (In spite of this, some people still snarked on the cache page that it should be archived.) That ban was lifted this spring and the cache was enabled (the CO is a sometime reviewer.) There was absolutely no negative impact on the geocaching community while this was disabled, no one was going to be able to place a cache there while the ban was in effect. This is an example of what patience can accomplish in these situations. Bureaucracies move slowly (and sometimes, so do diseases)

Why don't you say what you mean rather than hide behind an assemblage of pixels?

To the point: there was a cache in my state that was disabled for six years due to White Nose Disease in bats here in the eastern USA. The cache page was updated periodically to reflect the situation. (In spite of this, some people still snarked on the cache page that it should be archived.) That ban was lifted this spring and the cache was enabled (the CO is a sometime reviewer.) There was absolutely no negative impact on the geocaching community while this was disabled, no one was going to be able to place a cache there while the ban was in effect. This is an example of what patience can accomplish in these situations. Bureaucracies move slowly (and sometimes, so do diseases)

Actually, your post is off topic to this thread, but to take your thought one step further, it also wouldn't have had any impact on the Community to have Archived the Listing while the wheels of the "bureaucracy" slowly went through the process, and then Unarchive/Enable the Listing when the issue was resolved. Being a "sometime Reviewer, this would have been a trivial solution.

I can sympathize with the situation when it involves an Icon that is no longer being Published (i.e. Webcam, Virtual etc.), and Life just sort of happens (i.e. fences go up, construction going on, webcams get moved/disabled), but otherwise, it seems kind of stubborn and silly to me.

Actually, your post is off topic to this thread, but to take your thought one step further, it also wouldn't have had any impact on the Community to have Archived the Listing while the wheels of the "bureaucracy" slowly went through the process, and then Unarchive/Enable the Listing when the issue was resolved. Being a "sometime Reviewer, this would have been a trivial solution.

I can sympathize with the situation when it involves an Icon that is no longer being Published (i.e. Webcam, Virtual etc.), and Life just sort of happens (i.e. fences go up, construction going on, webcams get moved/disabled), but otherwise, it seems kind of stubborn and silly to me.

Then you are shortsighted. Keeping that cache disabled, rather than archiving it, served to remind the geocaching community in my area that White Nose Disease is a significant problem and we could be contributing to it. Just as keeping the CRNRA caches disabled reminds cachers of the ongoing struggle with land managers.

I am so relieved to see that this webcam cache has survived (and has been improved) since my comments in the forums.

It was a mixture of my own feelings of stupidity and disappointment for failing to spot the obvious text in the page, that made me post in the first place. The last thing I wanted was to lose the cache for everyone.

Now, Mrs HGKF has recently hinted that she wanted a trip abroad this year. Maybe I can persuade her to visit Amsterdam? :D