Garmin or Magellan?

I'm looking to finally replace my Meri-plat. I've got an HTC One I use as a backup, but I'm looking to get a new model. I'll probably go fairly high-end ($300+). Other than a bit of hiking/camping, I only use it for geocaching (my phone works great for in-car navigation).

I can't decide between Garmin or Magellan. I don't have much experience with Garmin. I've had pretty good luck with my Magellan over the years.

I don't need a camera (and I'm leaning away from those models which have it) -- but having a camera in a water-proof rugged device might be handy sometimes.

Has anyone used both lines (Garmin GPSMAP 62/64 and Magellan eXplorist)?

How about touch-screens?

Do I want GLONASS?

Anything else I should consider?

You've got a good base of reference to go on with the questions you've posed but the best way, if it can be done, is to get your hands on the units you're considering. Ask friends in your area, at events, at local stores that might carry them, etc… Sometimes the user interface is one you just don't like and sometimes it's just one that's new and takes a bit getting used to. I've had my hands on Magellans and just didn't like them, but a lot of that was because I was familiar with Garmins and how they worked. I have friends who swear by both manufacturers and the units they produce.

I've written much about the Meridian Platinum in these forums ( I have about 10 )....it still is a great unit. A few years ago we wanted to go paperless and got a Garmin Oregon 450....a nice unit. I then got a Garmin 62S and liked it better than the 450 and proceeded to get 2 more ( one for wife and a spare ). If you liked the Platinum you'll love the 62S....it has a great 3 axis pointer AND quad. helex ant. just like the Platinum making it a great unit for under canopy but has new high speed hardware, paperless features, and much more. The button layout is like the Platinum ( Garmin copied it for the 60 series ) making the unit easy to use with one hand which you can't do with a touchscreen.The 62S has been selling for $200....best price ever for a top of the line unit.

Magellan today is not the company that made the Platinum....get a Garmin.

<snip>

That's the best thing I've ever read about Magellan. Oddly enough, the "Magellan service" thread also appeared today. Make sure you check it out before you make a decision.

My eXplorist GC was an awesome PDA (before I broke it), it just wasn't that great of a GPS. I might get another one just to serve as a backup to my 450. I would like to try some of the higher end x10s, but I do not have much faith in Magellan to stay committed to their outdoor units.

Plus, all of you friends will have Garmins.

As a developer of a trail map, I would like to point out that the Garmin units can have maps loaded on them that Garmin did not develop. If you look at a site like GPSFileDepot you will see numerous trail maps and free maps for areas. This is much more difficult to provide to Magellan units, particularly the trail "overlay" maps like the Ontario Trails Project or MyTrails or Moun10Bike's NW Trails ....

Just something to consider.

Edited by northernpenguin

Thanks for the great feedback!

At this point, I'm leaning towards one of the Garmin GPSMAP 62 units. The prices have been dropping (on Amazon) a lot over the last few days.

62 - $205 - 1.7gb - the base model

62S - $222 - 1.7gb - I think the "S" means it has the compass/altimeter

62St - $287 - 3.5gb - I think the "t" means it has the 100k US topo maps

62Sc - $339 - 3.5gb - I think the "c" means it has the camera

62Stc - $466 - 3.5gb - with the compass, maps, and camera

So a couple more questions :)

How much do I need the 100k US topo maps (pre-loaded)? I assume I could buy them (from Garmin?) or get some maps from other sites. This adds about $65 to the cost (or $125 for the Stc - that price seems likely to drop more soon); but it doubles the memory too.

I can definitely live without the camera (which seems to add another $120 or so).

So right now, the the 62St seems to be the sweet spot. If the 62Sc price drops more, and I don't really need to maps pre-loaded, that might be a good option.

How much do I need the 100k US topo maps (pre-loaded)? I assume I could buy them (from Garmin?) or get some maps from other sites. This adds about $65 to the cost (or $125 for the Stc - that price seems likely to drop more soon); but it doubles the memory too.

100k Topo is not particularly high resolution.

You could also buy them after market. The places I tend to care about Topo, I use the Topo 24K instead or maps from other sites.

Most people around here (Ontario, Canada) skip the "t" models and get their own maps instead.

The Magellan who put out the excellent MeriPlat and the Magellan who puts out the Explorist series are two different beast, with the company changing hands 3 different times from Thales to Mitac.

HOwever, I would advise against another Magellan unit, the support is terrible, the units are no longer made although their current supply will last for years, firmware in some of them have not been updated in a couple of years. And many other reasons....Magellan's focus now are on crossfit units like cycling, running, and car GPS units and pretty much have gotten away from handheld GPS units.

The reason Garmin's outsell Magellan's 20 to 1 at least is because Garmin's work and have a good track record of support, even when your unit is out of warranty. Plus Garmin support and service and corporation are in the United States... Magellan outsources it's development, and only maintain a small sales office in the USA.

Having owned several Magellan's and Garmin's, go with the Garmin.

Sorry, about your Meridian Platinum, that was one hell of a unit. Then they switched owners and went with the Explorist x00 series, then the horrible Triton series.

I've written much about the Meridian Platinum in these forums ( I have about 10 )....it still is a great unit. A few years ago we wanted to go paperless and got a Garmin Oregon 450....a nice unit. I then got a Garmin 62S and liked it better than the 450 and proceeded to get 2 more ( one for wife and a spare ). If you liked the Platinum you'll love the 62S....it has a great 3 axis pointer AND quad. helex ant. just like the Platinum making it a great unit for under canopy but has new high speed hardware, paperless features, and much more. The button layout is like the Platinum ( Garmin copied it for the 60 series ) making the unit easy to use with one hand which you can't do with a touchscreen.The 62S has been selling for $200....best price ever for a top of the line unit.

Thanks for your advice. I think I have read several of your posts about which GPS to buy. And your opinion also seems to be shared by the most people. Anyway I bought a Garmin 62 and expect it to arrive in about 10 days. So, thanks, your clear posts helped me make up my mind.

John

Thanks for your advice. I think I have read several of your posts about which GPS to buy. And your opinion also seems to be shared by the most people. Anyway I bought a Garmin 62 and expect it to arrive in about 10 days. So, thanks, your clear posts helped me make up my mind.

John

You are more than welcome....over 11 years ago I visited this forum for advice on what to buy after having started out with a Yellow Etrex. After much research and asking advice from forum members I bought the Meridian Platinum....one of the best decisions I've ever made. More recently a forum member prompted me to get a 62S...it was great advice. The thing is with newer units you read here about all the bugs and it makes you leery of what to get....it takes a couple of years sometime to get all the bugs out after which most units perform quite well and by then the units price has dropped as a newer buggy unit is coming out as is now the case with the 62S.

I have dozens of forum pages bookmarked relating to GPS units and I would like to give a shout out to all the forum members who take the time to share their knowledge....I learn things here on a REGULAR basis.

Sorry, about your Meridian Platinum, that was one hell of a unit.

Actually, my Meri-plat is still working fine (though it is pretty beat up); I'm just passing it on to my son :)

I ordered the Garmin 62S; it seems like a really good unit for the price. Thanks so much for all the advice everyone!