The Rockies - Suggestions?

Think Tink

Hi All,

Team Think Tink and StellaBailey are planning a multi day trip from Vancouver, up to rockies including Jasper and Banff.

Our planned route:

-Highway 5 through Kamloops, heading into Jasper; This is the big leg of our trip, and will involve the fewest amount of stops.

-Jasper to Banff along the Icefields Parkway

-Banff to Kamloops along Hwy1

-Kamloops to Vancouver along Hwy1.

We're looking to find some interesting locations, sights, or just unique hides. any suggestions would be appreciated, particularly past Kamloops, as we don't usually get that far out.

Stipulations:

-We've got a smaller car. Offroading unfortunately isn't an option

-We'll be travelling with 2 small dogs. short hikes 1-2KM, regardless of difficulty/terrain isn't an issue, however, long hikes won't be possible on this trip.

We're not looking for number gains, so please no power trails.

Many thanks in advance!

I'm assuming that's 1-2 km return? That really limits things. If it's 1-2 km one way I can think of several more.

Incredible Swing (GC1X3MB): the swing is long gone but the views remain and it's a short uphill hike. Not a busy spot at all.

7717 (GCJWNV): a short hike (if you start in the right place) with a narrow gauge engine rusting where it was abandoned at the end.

If you're into earthcaches, off the top of my head: Canadian Rocky Mountains (GC1Y42E), Maligne Lake (GC3X9P4), Angel Glacier (GC4EDYD), Pyramid Lake Earthcache (GC1RAAD), Takakkaw Falls (GC1Y4JA). Bear in mind that most of the earthcaches can be insanely busy even on a weekday during the summer; they all tend to be in tourist destinations.

We just drove from Banff to Jasper and missed out on a ton of caches because we weren't prepared. Banff visitor centre has a list of caches in Banff and if you find 3 of the 5 you can redeem for a geocoin. We hiked Sulphur Mtn in 1 1/2hrs and payed to take the gondola down, not sure if dogs are allowed though, but the view is not to be missed. Johnstone falls along the Bow Valley Parkway between Banff and Lake Louise is fantastic and an hour walk return to the upper falls. Take your time to walk around Jasper and find the caches there, it is a nice quiet town. Anything between Banff and Jasper is awesome- have a great trip!

Edited by mcaloney

I'm assuming that's 1-2 km return? That really limits things. If it's 1-2 km one way I can think of several more.

1-2KM each way is still realistic. We'll just have to carry the pups a little ;)

Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions thus far, we appreciate it!