Frustrated

Wandering_JJEM

My family and I recently placed a trackable in our cache in memory of our dog which passed away in December. We were out on a walk and saw someone leaving our cache and started up a conversation with them and they told us they have the trackable and showed it to us (it is a Pluto statue with the dog tag attached to it). So unlike most people who don't know who picked up their trackable, we know exactly who has ours and they have not marked it yet as being picked up. We have written them a few messages asking them to mark it as picked up so no one else goes to the cache expecting to find a trackable, but we have gotten no response from them at all and they have not marked it as being picked up. It is just frustrating and disappointing that our trackable, which was placed in memory of a beloved member of our family, might end before it ever even starts!! The thing that gets me even more is that they have logged two more trackables since they have picked up ours. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

Pretty nervy, talking to you and still keepin' it...

Really not much to do.

Even if you mentioned a, "Nice meeting you around thirty or over four grand guy! Hope you find a nice place for our TB..." note on the cache page, chances are they'd never see the cache page again to notice.

HI, I can appreciate how you feel but your cache only went active on 28th June and we are only now on 8th July. You already state that you "have sent them a few messages" In the past I had forgotten that I picked up a tb, it was only when we went out again and I reached into the bottom of my bag that I remembered we had it. It had been in there 3 weeks...... I think I may have got a little upset if the owner had sent me lots of messages after a short period of time and although I would never keep it out of spite some might.

Maybe they don't know how to log that they picked it up. a LOT of people fail to log trackables because they don't know how or they just plain forget. It has only been about a week. I am sure they are not keeping it to make you mad. It will turn up eventually don't worry.

Thank you, I appreciate everyone's comments! I am not trying to complain, it is just that this one means a lot to me as it is a memory trackable and I just don't want it to be over before it starts. I know I am probably jumping to conclusions, I am just excited/nervous about placing my first trackable. Thank you for your kind words and support. :)

Happy Hunting Everyone!!

My family and I recently placed a trackable in our cache in memory of our dog which passed away in December. We were out on a walk and saw someone leaving our cache and started up a conversation with them and they told us they have the trackable and showed it to us (it is a Pluto statue with the dog tag attached to it). So unlike most people who don't know who picked up their trackable, we know exactly who has ours and they have not marked it yet as being picked up. We have written them a few messages asking them to mark it as picked up so no one else goes to the cache expecting to find a trackable, but we have gotten no response from them at all and they have not marked it as being picked up. It is just frustrating and disappointing that our trackable, which was placed in memory of a beloved member of our family, might end before it ever even starts!! The thing that gets me even more is that they have logged two more trackables since they have picked up ours. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you.

I know how you feel.

I just marked my favorite TB missing. It is also my first TB that went missing. It was placed in a cache 2 months back, and a lot of people visited it but nowbody took my TB with them or 'discovered' it. So I asked if the next cacher could look if it was still there. It apears to be gone, and I think I know who has it. They are new to the game, and picked up at least 1 other TB. Also that one isn't logged since they have none on there page. So I was thinking, maybe they don't know how to log a TB. So I wrote them a polite message about how to 'retrieve' a TB. Along with what to click and when. But no reaction. :(

So I also moved it to an 'unknown location'.

Hopefully they will show up again. :)

I am just starting to cache after 5 yrs. I have a old trackable (2009) but don't know how to find it's owner. It's never been a fluid path for me to use geocaching.com. I also picked up a trackable today and now I'm trying to smoothly enter it, but I can't find a way to search by its number. It's easy to log the find, actually I seem to have done it twice and can't delete one. So what I'm saying is maybe the person doesn't know how like me.

Thanks, I feel better already.

If you've verified the trackable is no longer in your cache, then mark it missing so that it no longer shows in the cache's inventory. The person who picked it up, when (if) they log it will just grab it from an "unknown location" and it will then be in their inventory so that they can drop it into another cache.

If you have marked a trackable as missing, then someone picks it up later, do you as the owner have to mark it as found or just from them "finding" it everything works out?

As Crow mentioned, the finder can make a Grab log (it's one of the only log options in this case). Once they've done that, it is shown in their possession, so it's automatically removed from the "unknown location", no longer Missing.

I'd like to add to this topic by stating that I've been in a situation where I unexpectedly found a TB and when I went to log it as "Found", it wasn't even logged as "Placed". This confused me but I logged it as "Found" anyways. Sometimes people forget to log it as "placed" (or forget where they placed it....especially if they had a long caching day) and it's not necessarily taken or ignored.

On the other hand...sometimes people adhere too closely to the "Finders, Keepers" mentality, feel that they were just rewarded for their efforts and your beloved TB's/geocoins are gone forever. I hate that.

And of course, you have the people that strictly geocoin/TB hunt. I hate that even more.

An unfortunate side effect to the great sport of geocaching.