How do I make my ship into a safe trackable

front-nl

I would like to make the inlandcargoship i work on a trackable. There are some problems with this is hope you can help me figure out a way to do it nice and safe.

Because it is an ADNR (potential dangerous cargo) inlandship, cachers cant be allowed onto the ship. Its a big ship so the relatively tiny cartrackable stickers may be too small to read from the side.

I had one idea, maybe you like it too. Instead of making the ship trackable I could make a mooring rope the trackable. Downside is you will only be able too log when when moored, upside is it will solve the above problems.

Like too hear your ideas....

I would like to make the inlandcargoship i work on a trackable. There are some problems with this is hope you can help me figure out a way to do it nice and safe.

Because it is an ADNR (potential dangerous cargo) inlandship, cachers cant be allowed onto the ship. Its a big ship so the relatively tiny cartrackable stickers may be too small to read from the side.

I had one idea, maybe you like it too. Instead of making the ship trackable I could make a mooring rope the trackable. Downside is you will only be able too log when when moored, upside is it will solve the above problems.

Like too hear your ideas....

Unlike a vehicle tag that can be spotted at events and cache locations, how would folks know where to spot your piece of rope?

I guess since it's clearly allowed to make a vehicle trackable, it doesn't take much of a stretch to reason that if a car can be a trackable then why not a ship? There doesn't seem to be any prohibition against it and since trackables don't have to go through an approval process like caches anyway, they could be practically anything. So why not?

Having said that, if you do it, don't be too surprised if it never gets logged.

front-nl - You can get large decals made, but it would be pricey and I'm not sure they would hold up well to sea water anyway. How about a large flag or a big life preserver ring with the numbers painted on it? When you purchase a trackable item, the number that is on it belongs to you to put on whatever you like. Lots of people buy just the regular dog tag but then print that number on a shirt or even in the form of a tattoo.

Chief301 is right that it might not get logged very often but I think it is great that you are so excited about geocaching that you want to make your boat trackable :D

its a inland vassel rarely sees salt ;) and we paint it all the time...... so i think about spraying the geocacheicon at the forward mooringpoint. Flag is a option but pricey ...

and thinking about it, it might be the biggest trackable (4662 tons max)

Edited by front-nl

The thing about trackables is that if they're small, they can be placed in caches where geocachers can find them and discover them, move them along, whatever. Trackables on people's vehicles, walking sticks, pet collars, etc., generally are discovered at places where Geocachers gather, like at events, at cache locations, etc. But I'm not sure what the chances are of a Geocacher randomly stumbling across your ship.

To increase it's chances, you could post a link to one of those other sites you referred to, where a vessel's location can be tracked. You never know, it might become a local challenge to figure out where your ship will be moored next in order to locate it and log it 😉

There are some minor details to be figured out to make it workable, but the idea sounds like fun 👍

its a inland vassel rarely sees salt ;) and we paint it all the time...... so i think about spraying the geocacheicon at the forward mooringpoint. Flag is a option but pricey ...

and thinking about it, it might be the biggest trackable (4662 tons max)

I like that. People would see it in port and when sailing. Might even get a passing cacher see it.Plus you could put in the description a website that tracks your ship if that is possible.

Find someone who does vinyl stickers....and have them make a HUGE sticker of the numbers.

There's a rail trail by my house and I have a geocache hidden under a caboose. I want to make the caboose a trackable....but I don't know who to ask permission to do it!?? LOL

do keep in mind the ship is 105 meter in length so i can make quite a nice tip to find it ;)

Keep in mind that not every trackable needs to be easy to discover. If that means that one has to use a set of binoculars to read the TB code on a sticker on the side of the ship, well that just makes it unique and perhaps more sought after than pawing through a box full of TB items at an event.