Cache centroid

Fair notice to flask, posting in this thread your distance may result in you being included in a leaderboard someone may choose to create.by posting in this thread your are giving your permission to be included in any leaderboards that may arise.

Mine is 168 miles away from home at N 53° 03.060 W 5° 16.341

Though I don't understand it. I live at N 51. Of my 4500+ finds, only 17 are at N52 or further north (the most north is N55). While most of my finds are to the south, and they go as far south as S 38 degrees. So I don't understand how my centroid is at N 53 degrees.

Ours is completely messed up! N 51° 46.694 E 13° 07.544 (Centroid is 4373 km from home). It's about 100km south of Berlin and it will slowly move further south and east the more caches we find. Though I doubt it will ever get really close as there aren't enough caches to find around here.

Mine is 1,782 miles to the northwest, currently in Quebec. It took a few years for it to finally cross the Atlantic after we moved from Germany to the USA. Over the past year, it's been slowly creeping its way down the St. Lawrence toward Montreal.

Though I don't understand it. I live at N 51. Of my 4500+ finds, only 17 are at N52 or further north (the most north is N55). While most of my finds are to the south, and they go as far south as S 38 degrees. So I don't understand how my centroid is at N 53 degrees.

If the shortest path to the cache at S38 is up over the north pole, it will pull your centroid north.

If the shortest path to the cache at S38 is up over the north pole, it will pull your centroid north.

That somehow depends on how the cache centroid is defined and computed. Which definition is used?

That somehow depends on how the cache centroid is defined and computed. Which definition is used?

Agreed. What exactly is the centroid of a sphere? Should it be kept on the surface of the sphere or somewhere inside the sphere?

Agreed. What exactly is the centroid of a sphere? Should it be kept on the surface of the sphere or somewhere inside the sphere?

Don't forget the Earth is moving through space and circling the galaxy so it not only matters where the cache you found is but when.

For those that want to keep it dimple keep it 2D.

Fair notice to flask, posting in this thread your distance may result in you being included in a leaderboard someone may choose to create.by posting in this thread your are giving your permission to be included in any leaderboards that may arise.

Dang, we need to put disclaimers on everything now!

As for my centroid, it's currently 58.8 km from home at N48 55.936 W122 49.891, in the water on the south edge of Semiahmoo Bay. I haven't been traveling long distances in a while, so it has gradually been creeping from about 0 Ave and 200 St, moving south of Blaine, across Drayton Harbor, and across Birch Point as it gets closer to home. I'll be going to Calgary in less than a month, so that will move it farther away again.

Don't forget the Earth is moving through space and circling the galaxy so it not only matters where the cache you found is but when.

For those that want to keep it dimple keep it 2D.

I guess that explain it (it is shorter to the south going north?) but it doesn't seem logical to me.

There was a very-recently published challenge cache where you had to find the cache nearest your centroid.

Someone posted a note suggesting this was "unfair" to cachers with thousands of finds, since newer cachers' centroids would be closer.

FINALLY - a challenge cache that favors newer cachers!

71 km from my home coordinates, centroid is moving to the southwest.

GSAK and project-gc tell slightly different coordinates. But in both cases near a location called 'Im Himmelreich' ('in heaven').

The nearest cache is http://coord.info/GC4J4D4 - a D3.5/T5 Traditional called 'Légion étrangère: Special Forces sous-marines!'. There used to be a cache I found 3 years ago. Nice place to go. :) I remember it being very dark, with low water depth but strong current and surprisingly windy.

It would be interesting if there was a way to see the movements of ones centroid, maybe a weekly or monthly basis, on a map.

My first cache was 100 meters SE of my home and my centroid has been moving SE ever since.

I love saying this -- "GSAK can do that!"

There's a macro called CentroidTrack.gsk which will produce a chronological output on a map of the movement of your centroid, with markers at each 100 days.

Here's the output for me:

d3137866-cf5d-489f-8883-2a7b194ec6b6.png

8.4 km, on terra firma. Not surprised at all as most of the caching I've done is close to home.

I predict that in the next year or two, my centroid will end up in the ocean, as I will be invading Roman!s neck of the woods ASAP.

Bring it on island girl :laughing:

Here is mine. My first 10 finds or so were in the US, I live in the UK.

I still don't understand why it goes so far north. Out of ~4500 finds, 3500 are in the UK, and generally close to home, and more south of home. Of the other 1000; ~450 are in North America (but all south of my home coords.) ~270 in Australia, and most of the rest in Europe (mostly south and east from home) plus ~40 in South Africa.

I guess it is the North American ones which pull it westward, but I still don't understand the northward pull.

Anyway my centroid has settled in Ireland...

3d7e6392-cd00-4566-b98e-5c950874c54f.png?rnd=0.8636853

I still don't understand why it goes so far north.

A good question. You are looking at a flat map representation of a great circle line on a curved surface.

If you have access to a globe, take a piece of string and stretch it between those two points and you will see it follows the same path as shown on the Mercator projection google map.

So, what is a Cache Centroid, and how do I find it? I assume it is the center of all the caches I've found? If so is there place that tells me this?

Seems like everyone but me knows. Or no one else who does not know, cares. :unsure:

Project-gc includes the centroid in your info: http://project-gc.com/ProfileStats/uxorious

Yours is alleged to be N47 13.337 W122 11.150

I don't get the exact math involved (after trying and failing to reverse-engineer the GSAK macros), but the centroid is an averaging of the latitudes and longitudes of all your finds.

So, what is a Cache Centroid, and how do I find it? I assume it is the center of all the caches I've found? If so is there place that tells me this?

Seems like everyone but me knows. Or no one else who does not know, cares. :unsure:

Yes, it's the center of all the caches you've found. The GSAK FindStatsGen macro and project-gc will calculate the cache centroid and there may be other stats packages that will do it as well. According to project-gc your cache centroid is: N 47° 13.337 W 122° 11.150

You can use gpsvisualizer.com to calculate the distance between that and your home location.