Adventure caches?

GeoJess14

I'm new to caching (23 finds) and need alittle help. Next summer during my family reunion I would like to set up a few caches as a game for the weekend. Is this possible? Can a few caches be hidden for only a weekend for only a selected few? Need help of this is possible.

Thanks

I'm new to caching (23 finds) and need alittle help. Next summer during my family reunion I would like to set up a few caches as a game for the weekend. Is this possible? Can a few caches be hidden for only a weekend for only a selected few? Need help of this is possible.

Thanks

If you mean these temporary caches to be published by Groundspeak, then the answer is no.

To have caches published on Groundspeak, all the other folks would need to have GS memberships, and either gps's or phones with the appropriate apps. And they would have to have an interest in geocaching.

I think what you would be interested in would be true scavenger hunts. That way, nothing physical is left behind after the reunion.

Before you consider hiding any caches, you need to read the Guidelines over and over and over.

Guidelines (blue text: links that need to be clicked on)

http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

Help Center

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.book&id=19

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Yes I am aware everyone would need to down load the app ect.. I thought I had read that ground speak was trying out a lab cahe that could be personalized to one/few people and could be time limited (one weekend)?? I have seen a few YouTube videos as well regarding these types of caches. Maybe I'm not understanding them properly. If this type of cache is not available does anyone know of a well made, easy co ordinate app to do a scavenger hunt?

You could just create some private caches and provide the descriptions and clues printed out on paper, but you would not be able to have them published here because of the temporary nature. Caches are sometimes listed in conjunction with a specific event but they are expected to stay in place and in play after the event (permanence guideline), and they must be available to all, not just the people at your event.

Besides, what method will your guests use to find the caches? It would be problematic for them to all download and learn to use a particular app the day of the event, assuming they even all have smart phones. You'd be better off making the game more like Letterboxing, where you can just provide written clues which could be followed without a GPS, and print out those pages and distribute them to the guests.

Yes I am aware everyone would need to down load the app ect.. I thought I had read that ground speak was trying out a lab cahe that could be personalized to one/few people and could be time limited (one weekend)?? I have seen a few YouTube videos as well regarding these types of caches. Maybe I'm not understanding them properly. If this type of cache is not available does anyone know of a well made, easy co ordinate app to do a scavenger hunt?

I didn't realize that Groundspeak was subnaming Lab Caches as "Geocaching Adventures". I don't think that's a good idea.

Once again, the Help Center comes to the rescue:

Help Center → Business Partnerships → Lab Caches / Geocaching Adventures

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=497

7.2. Who can create Lab Caches / Geocaching Adventures?

Geocaching Adventures / Lab Caches are currently in the beta test phase and are being tested at select Geocaching Mega-Events and community events. If you are an approved Mega-Event host, you are eligible to have a series of Lab Caches at your Mega-Event. Please inquire when you request Mega status. You can see a list of upcoming Mega-Events featuring Lab Caches at our Mega-Events with Lab Caches page.

Back in February, there was a temporary, testing thing where folks could create Lab Caches. But the people who could find them had to be GS members, also.

I really think you want to create a scavenger hunt. You could print out the instructions and give out copies to the people who would be interested in participating.

B.

You could try Wherigo or Intercaching to achieve what you'd like to do. Wherigo would require some basic programming skills, or using one of several user friendly builders available. Each participant would then have to download the appropriate Player app for their particular flavor of smartphone.

Intercache has a much simpler interface and only requires a browser capable phone and internet access.

Both solutions would avoid the Guideline issue previously discussed and provide a more private hunt for you and your friends while having fun with techy gadgets.

Good luck!