Should I trade in my phone for a GPS?

I wouldn't agree on that.

I've been geocaching using my iphone and the geocaching app. Mostly, the precision is ±5m so I didn't ever have a trouble to find a cache. I consider getting a gps anyway, because after having placed a cache myself, I heard from other cachers that my coordinates were not quite exact.

I used a garmin gpsmap62st which disappointed me greatly...it managed to pin my position with precision UP TO ±10m in the woods where the iphone has ±5m! And when walking on a huge open square in the middle op a city, garmin said ±20m....so finally I returned that thing back to the shop.

While using the garmin, I realized there were other negative points, I sum up the pro's and con's here.

Garmin 62st vs. iphone geocaching app: the winner is iphone because of the precision and user-friendliness.

Pro's of garmin:

- battery life (iphone manages about 5hours of geocaching)

- works on AA batteries that are easy to buy anywhere

- robust and spatter-proof

Con's of garmin:

- you need to be a Premium member to be able to download the whole cache including all its info to your garmin (iphone app costs 9EUR and does the rest for free), which means that using a smartphone you can geocache not only paperless but also as-you-go, while with a garmin, you'll always need to plan your trip ahead and keep paying for it

- small low-resolution screen

- precision (iphone turns out to be more precise!)

- slow and not very user-friendly interface

- compass just keeps turning, there's no way I could follow it

So far I'm happy with the iphone and I don't see any reason to pay hundreds of euros for a garmin that doesn't live up to my expectations. However, it's just my experience, so I would advise you to rent a garmin from your local shop for a few days, if you can, so you can test it properly.

The con is the phone isn't waterproof

All other thing have a solution, like a watertight case and external batteries or spare.

A phone software is much more flexible and much moderner, also if you don't like it one way just load another app that you do like.

Newer phone models don't need network, they work just fine without and because they receive 2 different types of satellites they might be more precise.

To hide a cache the right way you need to 'average' the location. This is a special function in some gps models and some apps will do that also.

https://www.google.com/search?output=search&sclient=psy-ab&q=android+average+waypoint&btnG=&gbv=1&sei=xZa6U-ruNsOU0AXWtoGQBQ

Edited by splashy

I definitely would trade in my phone for a GPS. You might want to start saving your money and plan on purchasing a GPS later, but for now the phone should be fine. Many folks use their smart phones exclusively and have found thousands of caches and never felt the need for a GPS at all.

Keep playing with the phone....if the time comes that you feel you need a GPS, you'll know.

If I'm considering taking on geocaching as a serious hobby, is it imperative that i invest my money into a expensive GPS.

It depends. First off, which model of iPhone do you have? iPhone 3GS has somewhat terrible GPS performance. iPhone 5S can match the performance of a dedicated GPSr. The 5 and 5s even have GLONASS support!

I use my iPhone for caching quite often - it's handy not having to preload cache information into the unit in advance for example. I also have a Garmin eTrex 30 for geocaching. I use that mainly for battery life (backcountry trips) and cold weather (hard on battery), or if I am in rough terrain where the unit might get dropped. I'm not worried about weather, as my iPhone lives in a Lifeproof case making it waterproof and drop resistant (on edge, not screen). In the rain, my eTrex outperforms the iPhone simply because the iPhone's capacitive screen can be tricky to use when wet (vs buttons on the eTrex).

I have not had many experiences where the Garmin eTrex 30 outperformed the iPhone 5s.

If I'm considering taking on geocaching as a serious hobby, is it imperative that i invest my money into a expensive GPS.

I use my iPhone 5s for unplanned caching trips all the time. Works just fine for what I want it to do. As for trading it for an expensive GPS? Don't. You don't need an expensive GPS. a $100 GPS will work just as well as a $600 unit. I personally have a Magellan Explorist GC. Under $200, and has paperless caching.

Don't bother, after years of defending Garmin I've bought an iPhone and it's heaps better than my Nintendo like Garmin Etrex 20 that I predict Garmin will mainly disappear as soon as a waterproof iPhone hits the market.

Or will there be Garmin for iPhone! :lol:

Don't bother, after years of defending Garmin I've bought an iPhone and it's heaps better than my Nintendo like Garmin Etrex 20 that I predict Garmin will mainly disappear as soon as a waterproof iPhone hits the market.

Or will there be Garmin for iPhone! :lol:

Actually there are several apps by Garmin for iPhone, including the latest called Viago. I use that all the time for in-car navigation, where I have a 12V power source to keep the phone running.

Garmin is not going to disappear any time soon, as the iPhone still doesn't have the battery life an eTrex 30 has, nor can it take a drop on a rocky trail the way an eTrex 30 can.

Edited by northernpenguin

If you decide you want to cache long term as a serious hobby I would get a quality GPS unit....newer ones all have paperless functions and I would get one with a three axis pointer.

Caching with my iPhone 5S is O.K. but I much prefer my Garmin 62S.

You shouldn't have to decide between one or the other. My suggestion parallels what most have already said - buy a less expensive unit and hold onto your phone.

I agree with this ^. Get an inexpensive unit that avails you to going paperless.

Longer battery life, water proofness, and ruggedness are all part of the build on most handheld gps units. There was a time when i would say that most phones weren't as accurate as gpsrs but i think that may be changing.

Regarding Wanderess' reply above, it sounds as though she ended up with a bad Garmin 62. I'm not convinced just yet that any phone will completely outdo a name brand, properly working, dedicated gpsr.

If you decide you want to cache long term as a serious hobby I would get a quality GPS unit....newer ones all have paperless functions and I would get one with a three axis pointer.

Funny. I consider geocaching a serious hobby and think of myself as a long term kind of cacher. And I prefer my iPhone to my Garmin 62s. The Garmin needs constant calibration (sometimes several times in one outing), the batteries last only about one day of caching, and often times its way, way off. Way off. Also, sometimes it just shuts off completely. And I must turn it on at least 15 mins before I need to use it as it takes FOREVER to figure out where on earth I am located.

My iPhone 5s has been way more consistent and trusty than my Garmin. If it weren't for NWTopos, I wouldn't use it.

2500 caches using it so far,... seems to be working out just fine.

Funny. I consider geocaching a serious hobby and think of myself as a long term kind of cacher. And I prefer my iPhone to my Garmin 62s. The Garmin needs constant calibration (sometimes several times in one outing), the batteries last only about one day of caching, and often times its way, way off. Way off. Also, sometimes it just shuts off completely. And I must turn it on at least 15 mins before I need to use it as it takes FOREVER to figure out where on earth I am located.

My iPhone 5s has been way more consistent and trusty than my Garmin. If it weren't for NWTopos, I wouldn't use it.

I think something is wrong with your 62.....if mine behaved that way I'd use my phone too.

I have 3 62S units and have never had to field calibrate anything...in fact I have had no trouble of any kind with the unit nor has any of those I know who own them. When I turn them on they lock on in a matter of seconds. I use Sanyo Eneloop 2500 batteries and start the day with a fresh pair and they last longer than I do ( 8-12 hrs ?).

Maybe a master re-set or firmware upgrade.....something is not right. If the latest firmware doesn't work try 3.90, I used it until just recently and its flawless.....I'm trying the new firmware because I like being able to log a find from the compass screen.....so far its working well.

Funny. I consider geocaching a serious hobby and think of myself as a long term kind of cacher. And I prefer my iPhone to my Garmin 62s. The Garmin needs constant calibration (sometimes several times in one outing), the batteries last only about one day of caching, and often times its way, way off.

I think something is wrong with your 62.....if mine behaved that way I'd use my phone too.

I have 3 62S units and have never had to field calibrate anything...in fact I have had no trouble of any kind with the unit nor has any of those I know who own them. When I turn them on they lock on in a matter of seconds. I use Sanyo Eneloop 2500 batteries and start the day with a fresh pair and they last longer than I do ( 8-12 hrs ?).

Maybe a master re-set or firmware upgrade.....something is not right. If the latest firmware doesn't work try 3.90, I used it until just recently and its flawless.....I'm trying the new firmware because I like being able to log a find from the compass screen.....so far its working well.

Yeah I'm in agreement here. Constant calibration sounds like something is off. My eTrex 30 has an electronic compass, as does my Colorado 400t and I have to admit I'm real lazy about calibrating the compass on both units ... never really notice the issue until I'm so close to the cache that the compass won't help in the search anyway.

As for battery performance, 1 day is pretty good for a high resolution screen GPS (which is why I use a low resolution screen one for backcountry). I am quite certain an iPhone with the screen on constant running the GPS and no external battery pack will not make it 24 hours..... I can get a few hours of use though with an app like RunKeeper keeping the GPS on and the screen off. Source: I have an iPhone 4,5,5s and iPad Mini Retina and use all of them for geocaching. Most Garmin GPS units are rated for 16-26 hours of constant use on one pair of AA batteries (~3000mAh total).

Edited by northernpenguin

I think finding Geocaches is fine [not quite as good but close] but please use a gps that has WASS when hiding a geocache. The WASS function puts you in closer and makes it a lot more accurate for us that are trying to find it. Even with all that and a new sensitive handheld, I sometimes take readings on 3 different days and average them when I desire great accuracy.

Actually there are several apps by Garmin for iPhone, including the latest called Viago. I use that all the time for in-car navigation, where I have a 12V power source to keep the phone running.

lane-assist.pngphotoreal-junction.png

traffic.pngspeed.png

iphone-garmin-real-directions.jpgiphone-traffic-live.jpg

Yap, I've got the same now. BIG THANKS!!!

:D

Edited by Odourless

Brand new, right out of the box. Everything up to date. And also a common complaint. So maybe something is wrong with a lot of Garmin 62s' :rolleyes:

I used a garmin gpsmap62st which disappointed me greatly...it managed to pin my position with precision UP TO ±10m in the woods where the iphone has ±5m! And when walking on a huge open square in the middle op a city, garmin said ±20m....so finally I returned that thing back to the shop.

It's strange that you had known position benchmarks everywhere you went because that's the only way you could really tell how far off of actual you were. Using the phony baloney EPE numbers tells you nothing, especially between different brands. EPE is a relative reference for the unit it's displayed on, nothing more.

Brand new, right out of the box. Everything up to date. And also a common complaint. So maybe something is wrong with a lot of Garmin 62s' :rolleyes:

I would send it back and request an exchange.