Traditional or puzzle cache?

spirothebudgie

Hi again :laughing:

I have this idea for a geocache where you need to bring a battery to open it, my question is should I list it as a puzzle cache or can I just list it as a traditional?

I'd like to hide it as a traditional because it will get more visitors but the problem is I think a traditional cache is meant to be able to be completed without reading the listing :unsure: maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks!

If the only thing keeping folks out is the battery, I don't see why that wouldn't just be a traditional. I've seen traditionals with locks (for muggle deterrence) where the combination was given in the description.

Folks should always at least scan the description, no matter what kind it is.

I have this idea for a geocache where you need to bring a battery to open it, my question is should I list it as a puzzle cache or can I just list it as a traditional?

I'd like to hide it as a traditional because it will get more visitors but the problem is I think a traditional cache is meant to be able to be completed without reading the listing :unsure: maybe I'm wrong?

Thanks!

NO cache is meant to be "able to be completed without reading the listing"

List it as a Traditional, don't be surprised if when it gets broken. :laughing:

Thanks!

NO cache is meant to be "able to be completed without reading the listing"

List it as a Traditional, don't be surprised if when it gets broken. :laughing:

Actually in the current version of the game MOST caches are meant to be completed without reading the listing. I did about 25 yesterday on my bike and never read a description. Did read the occassiona hint or log but there was no reason to read the description. What the OP said is becoming a cultural norm for many.

Putting it in the title would probably be best or people will come not prepared and some will get annoyed and probably try to break it open. You will also have to deal with logs like this

We got there and didn't know a battery was needed but we (signed the container, left a new log with a signature, figure since we found the box it is a find) found logs.

In case you think that is rare I ran into it a couple of days ago. I use GSAK to filter out caches where the last two logs are not finds but anything else. Did a multi stop one in San Luis Obispo and couldn't find the container. Read the logs and the last 5 of 6 were DNF but the second was a found log commenting that the end container was missing. I quick NA log and it is now disabled pending repair.

You'll get more visitors, but you'll also get a higher ratio of frustrated and annoyed visitors. The comments to the effect that all listings should be read in advance are nice, but that fact remains that lots of people don't read the descriptions at all, let alone in preparation, so keep that in mind as you consider what kind of experience people are going to have with your cache. Personally, I'd list it as a puzzle, and I'd prefer it be listed as a puzzle, but I agree there's nothing wrong with listing it as a traditional if that's how you decide to play it.

Well yeah that's what I was sort of thinking too, but if I make the name of the cache obvious (''bring a battery'') or something like that then people may read the listing if there is something in the name... maybe :laughing:

Thanks for all the help and advice :grin:

You should call it *Batteries not included, then state in the first sentence something like "Opening this cache requires one AA battery" or something to that effect.

As for a requirement for reading the description...of course not. Only challenge caches require doing anything aside from signing the log. Cachers just need to be aware that it's their own problem if they go looking for it without fore-knowledge. I've made it a habit of always at least skimming the description, checking for a hint and scanning the logs for any DNFs or NM logs. I don't have to, of course...but it sure has saved me a lot of trouble in many instances.

Also...you should be willing to delete any log that states that they could not open it and couldn't sign the log. If you are going to set it up with that special condition, you need to be willing to keep up with it.

What happens when someone inserts the battery? If something automatically opens/raises/lowers/whatever and the cache is then readily available, then it's probably best to list it as a traditional cache with the special equipment attribute. But if the battery operates some sort of electronic puzzle, and solving the puzzle makes the cache available, then it's probably best to list it as a mystery/puzzle cache with the field puzzle attribute.

I think that's putting the cart before the horse. You should describe the cache accurately (including its type, difficulty and terrain ratings, and size). Then those who are interested in that type of cache can look for it, and those who aren't can look for something more to their liking.

Consider someone who is searching for traditional caches; what kinds of caches does this person expect? Consider someone who is searching for mystery/puzzle caches; what kinds of caches does this person expect? Then consider which category your cache best fits into, and which group of geocachers is going to be happy to find your cache.

niraD said what I was going to say. Add the Field puzzle attribute. It might be a hassle to maintain but if you are worried there will be cachers showing up without a battery you could hide some nearby in a lock n lock or something and then give a hint to where those are hidden. Might get people logging a find for finding the batteries but those who like to solve the cache and sign the log might find it helpful.

Might get people logging a find for finding the batteries but those who like to solve the cache and sign the log might find it helpful.

Or "I should get two smileys for finding the battery and the geocache" :)

I seem to recall a geocaching video where one of the featured caches is a cache where you use the battery (from your GPSr) and it operates a worm drive that raises the cache container.

Ah, found it.

(at around the 2 minute mark)

The cache : http://coord.info/GCP9G9 - listed as traditional with 500+ favorite points

Might get people logging a find for finding the batteries but those who like to solve the cache and sign the log might find it helpful.
Maybe it should be a multi-cache... ;)

I seem to recall a geocaching video where one of the featured caches is a cache where you use the battery (from your GPSr) and it operates a worm drive that raises the cache container.

Ah, found it.

(at around the 2 minute mark)

The cache : http://coord.info/GCP9G9 - listed as traditional with 500+ favorite points

I stayed at a hotel in West Virginia that was very close to a cache which required a vehicle and jumper cables. The listing didn't specifically say that you needed jumper cables but it was pretty obvious from the description.