Finding Geocoins

Noellerx

By the time a geocoin has been logged into the tracking system it could be long gone as another cacher may well have visited the cache and picked up the coin and dropped it again in another cache that another cacher might have visited before it's been officially dropped in the cache again. So it's just dumb luck. Enjoy the hunt and you will be surprised by what lands in your path..... patience, grasshopper.

How do I find Geocoins that were just placed in caches so that I have a better chance of finding one?

A list of "nearby caches" will have the TB or Coin icon in the Info column.

You can use "Have Travel Bugs" (which includes coins) as a parameter in a Pocket Query. I'd set this up, NOT set a day for it to run, then Preview it. Once you submit the info for a query (sans day to run) the Preview option is at the top of the PQ page.

There's no coin drop notification (though you can watch trackables, and any you have on watch, you'll get all logs).

You have to look at the trackables in a cache individually, (click their name in the right column on the cache page to see their page) and check for date of drop.

The more recent, the more likely they're present.

How do I find Geocoins that were just placed in caches so that I have a better chance of finding one? The last 10 caches or so that said they had one, did not. Is there a notification available when they are placed in caches in my area?

You can always put the caches, nearest to where you live, on your "Watchlist" that way you will know when they have been visited. Then you can check the cache to see if any new trackables have been added to caches inventory. Sometimes cacher's will note, that they have dropped a Coin or TB in the cache, in their cache logs.

Thanks so much for the help! I'm a newbie, so I really appreciate it. 😊

Excellent to see that newbie is interested in finding and moving geocoins and TBs along. They are a really fun part of caching - and so many people seem to have lost interest in coins lately.

Good luck and hope you find some brilliant travellers, with interesting stories and can help them on their mission.

One that I just moved from NY to PA is still sitting in the cache there, " I hope". I hope it doesn't get stolen and someone moves it along. I'm a little nervous. I should have chosen a premium cache to put it in.😁 On a better note, I helped move a racer from Long Island to NH on its way to ME! It's exciting to see what happens to them. I can't wait to release some of my own! Love it and want to learn the right way to do everything. Thanks everyone!