First Waymark Listing, need some help please?

I have an interesting place near me, and was surprised it did not have a Waymark (or two or four) listed for it. Coords are N 42° 14.468 W 075° 50.360 it is Chenango Canal Prism and Lock 107 and I have submitted it under U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

It is on the register, was listed 2010.

First off, I want to say Thank You to my reviewer. I appreciate the suggestions to get it approved. Unfortunately, since this is my first time I don't really understand the suggestions.

I can not reply to the rejection email as it comes from a noreply email address. So, I come here. This is the email:

Hello from Waymarking.com!

Your waymark, Chenango Canal Prism and Lock 107, has been denied for the following reason:

Several issues: 1). The link for the primary web site should be: http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/ny/chenango/state.html 2. The county is incorrect - should be Chanango County. 3. Using the listing above, the variables for date, historic significance, historic function and current function should be exactly as listed there. 4. The format of the title should have the town and state added. Thanks for finding this one. I'll look forward to reviewing it again. ~Larry (silverquill)

It is not uncommon for waymarks to be denied on the first submission. Waymark category owners can be very particular and may insist that their rules be followed exactly as written.

Edit your waymark for resubmission

Happy Waymarking!

The Groundspeak Team

Addressing the issues:

1. Easy, thank you for giving me the answer you want.

2. The county is correctly listed on my submission as Broome County. The coordinates fall within Broome County. I would really prefer not to change this to Chenango when I know that is incorrect.

3. Uhhhmmm..... I guess I'll just copy that, even though I don't get the dates at all.

4. How should I re-do my title? Would "Chenango Canal Prism and Lock 107 - Chenango Forks, NY" be appropriate?

Part 2

I initially attempted to list this as a Lock (since it is). But the submission page required elevations or some such thing. This is an abandoned lock, the submission page even allows for abandoned and remnants. I don't know these measurements and wasn't able to find them. Can this be listed as a Lock?

Part 3

Should I list it as a canal?

Welcome!

Denials usually come from one of the group officers...

Unless it's been to a vote.

Try contacting either: the group leader, or the most recently logged on officer (or the one that has been accepting the newest waymarks in the category.)

They can be contacted through their profile.

I don't know the U.S. National Register of Historic Places category.

Usually if you link to information, that takes priority for dates/names/titles etc, unless there is compelling reason to write otherwise...

Waymarks can be submitted in to several categories. That can be part of the fun/challenge! :D

Part 2

I initially attempted to list this as a Lock (since it is). But the submission page required elevations or some such thing. This is an abandoned lock, the submission page even allows for abandoned and remnants. I don't know these measurements and wasn't able to find them. Can this be listed as a Lock?

Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts category?

Again, I don't know the category.

Can you get heights? Either from your GPS, or from contours on a map?

(Can you get away with estimating the height between the two levels?

Part 3

Don't know the category, but if it fits the requirement, yes, submit it.

If they all get accepted, it's three for one, not a bad start!

Edited by Bear and Ragged

Welcome to Waymarking!

Part 2: You can submit it to the locks category, too. You don't have to decide, you can do both. You have been there, you have seen the thing. So you can guess what vertical distance a boat was lifted, when the canal was active, that's all. You do not have to find any "official" elevation data, because they are often not available, and they change anyway from day to day, depending on how much water is around.

Part 3: No, you cannot submit it as a canal. There is no category for canals.

I am not familiar with the NRHP category, I live in a different country. So I cannot tell you the best practice there. Your suggestions sound reasonable to me, but I do not know about potentional pitfalls.

Denial emails are sent anonymously, but some reviewers add their name to be available for questions. You just have to find this information. The officer who reviewed your submission was silverquill. You can search for him and send him a message over the profile page (and he is also quite active here in the forums, so maybe he has already seen your questions).

I am an officer in the Waterway Locks, Planes and Lifts category, so I can answer your 'Part 2' questions.

Part 2

I initially attempted to list this as a Lock (since it is). But the submission page required elevations or some such thing. This is an abandoned lock, the submission page even allows for abandoned and remnants. I don't know these measurements and wasn't able to find them.

The "Elevation difference" is meant to describe basically how much deeper the water is when the lock is full than when the lock is empty.

If you don't know the elevation difference (and for abandoned locks it can sometimes be hard to tell), either make a rough guess based on any remaining structures you see, or use "0", and make a note in your descriptive text that the elevation difference isn't known. If you do include an estimated value, enter the value in meters (not feet).

Most of the locks I see fall in the 1 - 5 meter range.

Can this be listed as a Lock?

If there used to be a lock at this location, it can be listed in this category.

I have an interesting place near me, and was surprised it did not have a Waymark (or two or four) listed for it. Coords are N 42° 14.468 W 075° 50.360 it is Chenango Canal Prism and Lock 107 and I have submitted it under U.S. National Register of Historic Places.

It is on the register, was listed 2010.

First off, I want to say Thank You to my reviewer. I appreciate the suggestions to get it approved. Unfortunately, since this is my first time I don't really understand the suggestions.

I can not reply to the rejection email as it comes from a noreply email address. So, I come here. This is the email:

Hello from Waymarking.com!

Your waymark, Chenango Canal Prism and Lock 107, has been denied for the following reason:

Several issues: 1). The link for the primary web site should be: http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/ny/chenango/state.html 2. The county is incorrect - should be Chanango County. 3. Using the listing above, the variables for date, historic significance, historic function and current function should be exactly as listed there. 4. The format of the title should have the town and state added. Thanks for finding this one. I'll look forward to reviewing it again. ~Larry (silverquill)

It is not uncommon for waymarks to be denied on the first submission. Waymark category owners can be very particular and may insist that their rules be followed exactly as written.

Edit your waymark for resubmission

Happy Waymarking!

The Groundspeak Team

Addressing the issues:

1. Easy, thank you for giving me the answer you want.

2. The county is correctly listed on my submission as Broome County. The coordinates fall within Broome County. I would really prefer not to change this to Chenango when I know that is incorrect.

3. Uhhhmmm..... I guess I'll just copy that, even though I don't get the dates at all.

4. How should I re-do my title? Would "Chenango Canal Prism and Lock 107 - Chenango Forks, NY" be appropriate?

Part 2

Part 3

When I decline a waymark, I usually identify myself, in this case with both my real name and Waymarking name -- Larry (silverquill) That way a person can reply to me via the Groundspeak system using my Groundspeak name and also address me as a real person.

There seems to be some controversy over the location of this site, which is why I had trouble finding it. The National Park Service has it listed in Chenango County. See: http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/listings/20100625.htm Our default database: www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com also lists it in Chenango County since it reflects the NRHP site. Wikipedia lists it in Broome County. It could be that it is bordered by both counties but since the maps don't show county lines, I can't be sure of that. Does the river there form a county boundary?

In these case we have two choices. One, is to list it as it is listed by the NRHP and make a note of the difference. I prefer this because it enables us to find it in the official database. The other is to list it under what you think is correct and make a note of that fact in your description so that people searching for it can find it. If you want to do a little more research on this, that would be great. Sometimes a state or local historical society will have a copy of the nomination form which would probably be the most authoritative document.

So, welcome to the fun of Waymarking!

All the best,

Larry (silverquill)

Thank you all so much for your advice, the Waymark is approved now yay!

When I decline a waymark, I usually identify myself, in this case with both my real name and Waymarking name -- Larry (silverquill) That way a person can reply to me via the Groundspeak system using my Groundspeak name and also address me as a real person.

There seems to be some controversy over the location of this site, which is why I had trouble finding it. The National Park Service has it listed in Chenango County. See: http://www.nps.gov/history/nr/listings/20100625.htm Our default database: www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com also lists it in Chenango County since it reflects the NRHP site. Wikipedia lists it in Broome County. It could be that it is bordered by both counties but since the maps don't show county lines, I can't be sure of that. Does the river there form a county boundary?

In these case we have two choices. One, is to list it as it is listed by the NRHP and make a note of the difference. I prefer this because it enables us to find it in the official database. The other is to list it under what you think is correct and make a note of that fact in your description so that people searching for it can find it. If you want to do a little more research on this, that would be great. Sometimes a state or local historical society will have a copy of the nomination form which would probably be the most authoritative document.

So, welcome to the fun of Waymarking!

All the best,

Larry (silverquill)

I hope my post didn't seem to imply that you personally couldn't be contacted (you do identify yourself, as I quoted). I am just ignorant of how to contact an individual on Groundspeak without seeing them post something on a forum or cache. I appreciate your reviewing and suggestions.

This website http://gohistoric.com/places/335341 lists a link to the official nomination form, but it isn't scanned yet.

The location of the Lock is adjacent to Chenango Valley State Park, which is all within Broome County.

Lots of Chenango-s to not be in Chenango County, but there you go. If you go on Google maps and search "Broome County NY" the location is obviously well within the borders that show.

The County thing is all very weird. The location is in the Hamlet of Chenango Forks. Chenango Forks is both in the Town of Barker and the Town of Chenango. The Town of Barker and the Town of Chenango are both located in the County of Broome, neither are within the County of Chenango.

The Borders and Village/Hamlet/Town/County designations really do not make any sense in New York.

Another thing that makes no sense to me is the dates: Periods of significance: 1875-1899, 1850-1874, 1825-1849

Construction began in 1834, it opened in 1837, it closed in 1878. These numbers confuse me. :blink: Maybe they refer to the whole Chenango Canal? But that seems a bit silly on the listing for this specific lock.

In fact, the Location of "Chenango County" would make sense referring to the Canal as well. The Canal would primarily fall in Chenango County because that is the county that contains the longest stretch of the Canal.

What a lot of work to try to list a cool place. But I'll have more. There are lots of cool places in this area that surprisingly are not listed on Waymarking.

The official nomination form I think is available at a New York state website operated by the State Office of Historic Preservation. http://nysparks.com/shpo/online-tools/ It is bit confusing to navigate that site but if you put in part of the name and click the results tab it will list this particular site and you want the one that says text. I can't verify that it is there as the site uses Java and my current laptop configuration is not friendly with Java at this time.

The dates of historic significance we use are in 25 year blocks (for dates after 1800, they are 50 year blocks for the 1700s and other durations during other centuries) These are reflected on the official NPS focus site along with the unofficial site we reference due to linking issues with official site (long story).

Congratulations on getting a waymark approved in the National Register of Historic Places category, it can be a daunting category at first, but as someone that has submitting a few to the category it does get easier.