Your GC family tree

Just dabbling with a concept - I'd be interested to see if people have any complex networks... looking at people introducing others to caching and making that into a basic "family tree".

So South Oxon Stone introduced me - he's my "dad". He also got his wife & granddaughter on it so they must be my "sisters". I have 5 "children" I've got into caching - as we speak, one of them is on 999 caches! Another is my real son (on 720ish). None of them have introduced anyone else as far as I know so I'm not a "grandparent" - or a "grandchild" as South Oxon Stone read about caching in a Saga magazine!

How about you? How many generations up or down can you go? How many "children" do you have?

Discovered it myself surfing the web, and 0 children. And I've been doing it 11 years. Dozens of muggle relatives and acquaintances know I'm a Geocacher, several have stopped for, and even went along while I found caches, and I'm not aware of a single child. It would be interesting to see if my case is unusual.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Discovered it myself surfing the web, and 0 children. And I've been doing it 11 years. Dozens of muggle relatives and acquaintances know I'm a Geocacher, several have stopped for, and even went along while I found caches, and I'm not aware of a single child. It would be interesting to see if my case is unusual.

I've "only" been doing it for seven years but your case is otherwise identical to mine.

10 years... No "Parents". Same as you with the muggle relations. I did have one friend that started with me that actually signed up for an account and logged a couple hundred caches, but has been inactive. Prodigal son?

I was introduced to geocaching by a couple who are good friends of mine; so they are my "parents". They introduced another mutual friend of mine at the same time so I guess he is my brother.

I have two children (that I know about!). One of them (my brother-in-law) is very active (addicted) and I believe he has "children", but I don't know for sure).

10 years... No "Parents". Same as you with the muggle relations. I did have one friend that started with me that actually signed up for an account and logged a couple hundred caches, but has been inactive. Prodigal son?

Just hit ten years myself. (Guess that makes me an oldie?) I read about it in the newspaper. I have a brother who has been geocaching longer, but he never told any of us about it. I introduced my sister to it in 2004. She introduced another brother to it. So, Seattle, blame my sister! Not me!

Heard about it on my own but when talking to my boss at the time found out he was a cacher so maybe he's my Dad. I introduced my 2 best friends and several of my coworkers. My one friend introduced several of her friends so I know of at least 5 grandchildren. Plus when TDY (traveling for business for you civilians) often muggle co works assisted in a search and marveled at the history we discovered but never took it up on there own.

Edited by SgtSue

The friend who introduced me to geocaching hasn't logged on since 2011, and hasn't logged a Find since the last time we found a cache together in 2008.

I've lost count of the number of people that I've introduced to geocaching. That happens when you teach geocaching classes at church. I know for certain that about 10 have created accounts and still geocache occasionally, but there could be dozens more that I just don't know about.

How about you? How many generations up or down can you go? How many "children" do you have?

I found out about this website on the Vermilion Valley Resort website. I was hunting my first cache and getting my first DNFs less than 12 hours later.

I've introduced my family, coworkers, and friends, but none of them stuck with it. I have a sister and a nephew that cache on occasion, but never log their finds.

My 6yo son loves caching, but he really only wants toys and time with me. He is not very good at finding caches. I blame his cache finding handicap on his mother who is 100% muggle and a Potter fan that absolutely hates that we use the term muggle. :laughing:

My geocaching family tree is a rocky place where the geocaching seed can find no purchase.

I have a dad. But he has no parents. Who would have thought that was genetically possible?

Although I've tried everything I can think of, I have no children. Or at least I'm assuming it doesn't count when you drag someone with you once and they roll their eyes a lot, complain a lot, and never go again.

:lol:

> Aunt is godfather in my geocache community

> I started up in 2009 couple of months later

> One of my uncles joined with me ( left him in the dirt, he got like 3 finds and 1 hide or something)

> 2 or 3 year brake because reasons

> Convinced 3 friends to join in, in April (Basically so i didn't have to cache alone.

> One of the friends friend also geocache, he have done it since 2012.

> Father joins

> Brother joins

My only goal is to beat godfather on 700andsomething finds.

Edited by Joffrey Baratheon

I've introduced all my family members to geocaching, however they all hate it, except for my sister who loves it, but doesn't cache that much. Grandpa and Grandma Incredible tried a few times, but they are just not that good at it. Grandpa Incredible can't see 2 feet in front of him, which makes finding anything less than an ammo can challenging. Grandma Incredible will go caching with me when she visits, but you can see it's painful for her. She's much more interested in identifying plants and birds than rooting around in the bushes in an undignified fashion.

I've got 3 children, if you count Mr Incredible. We've gone out caching as a family many times. Mr Incredible has actually *requested* to go geocaching more than once, which blew me away. I'm not sure what he likes about it, maybe the chance to explore new places. He prefers not to get his hands dirty and is terrified he'll get eaten by a wild animal, but we still manage to have a good time. :unsure:

On July 4, 2014 at 5:16 AM, Oxford Stone said:

Just dabbling with a concept - I'd be interested to see if people have any complex networks... looking at people introducing others to caching and making that into a basic "family tree".

So South Oxon Stone introduced me - he's my "dad". He also got his wife & granddaughter on it so they must be my "sisters". I have 5 "children" I've got into caching - as we speak, one of them is on 999 caches! Another is my real son (on 720ish). None of them have introduced anyone else as far as I know so I'm not a "grandparent" - or a "grandchild" as South Oxon Stone read about caching in a Saga magazine!

Reviving a neat topic.

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Snoogans said:

Reviving a neat topic.

Must have missed this one.  Thanks for the bump!

I don't remember who got us started, it was one of my wife's friends.  They're no longer caching.  If I figure out who, I'll edit this.

But yea verily, @hzoi begat @Miwa Satoshi, and also didst @hzoi beget @BWB3, who begat kbo97, whose name for some reason cannot be @ tagged..

Edited by hzoi
On 7/4/2014 at 8:30 AM, NanCycle said:

My daughter is my mother and my sister is my daughter. :blink:

Likewise, our son is our father in this game, and our grandson is our brother?  My cousin is my daughter.  Crazy mixed up tree, indeed! 

Our son and his wife met at geocaching events, eventually married, and moved to Arizona (from N. Calif), which is when we became involved as geocachers ourselves to keep an eye on and maintain his local hides (that we had to find first!).  We'd done it vicariously through him, on family vacations, and as testers for his gadget containers and puzzles, but never actually gone out on our own.  We discovered we enjoyed it, and with retirement came the time to pursue it more fully.  We've introduced it to family and friends, but not many have gotten the bug.  We are both Geocaching merit badge counselors and have helped several scouts along the way; whether they stick with it is an unknown at this point, though there is one scout that asks me "How many geocaches did you find today?" whenever he sees me!

Edited by CAVinoGal

I have parents who are still married! 

Mom & Dad:  My [snow] skiing buddies, they laughed when I pulled out my GPSr and waymarked our starting point and trail turns.  They smiled gratefully when we actually got back to waymark 1.  ?  A couple of years later, they called me up to see if I might like to join them on a new hobby they picked up called Geocaching.  "Pick me up!"  Much more fun than just making sure we made it back to civilization before freezing to death!

I do have a couple of cousins, several times removed, from that ski club, but their participation is sporadic, at best.

I may or may not have several illegitimate children, depending on maternity tests, after sowing some wild oats by holding  a Geocaching 101 community event.

• Funny 1

:) I'd forgotten about this thread!

South Oxon Stone who got me into caching has introduced many other people since 2014. 

My actual son Oxford Stone Junior is going camping / walking and inevitably caching with friends this summer so I might become a "granddad" that way; my Finnish "son" SonofSurfbird has initiated a few people over there I think. I recently showed the game to a local scoutmaster who's really getting into it, as are the scouts, so I've spawned a whole family there...

As for my real family, siblings who live ~100 miles away in various directions, are accustomed to "let's meet up for a pub lunch and a walk" meaning "let's meet up for a pub lunch and then search for 20 random containers in hedges"; OS Junior hasn't got bored yet, currently on 3794 caches, date found and DT grids completed, 10 different countries, owns and helps maintain some of our caches.

I am the patriarch here, unless you consider whoever wrote the article that got me interested as my parent!  I've got four children.  One is the pet child (my young nephew)--he will surely carry on the family name and will likely give me a grandchild or two.  One is the child who visits every holiday (my youngest son)--he will stay loyal but I am not sure if I will get any grandchildren from him, as he's mainly only interested in it when I am.  My third child (a friend) promised to make me a happy mother, but then she forgot about me.  My fourth child (my second-youngest son) rarely visits and is honestly just my child in name only.  I've also got four adopted children who have participated in the hobby but do not have accounts--my mother, my ex-boyfriend (who was more delighted in learning that you can hide things under lamp skirts than in the game itself), and two friends.  None of these four people is ever even going to find a mate, let alone give me any grandchildren, but it's nice to know that they once called me mama.