My 1st Wherigo- Fail!

SaltyCacheNutZ

I recently picked up a FTF Curse TB so need to publish a new cache soon and thought it would be fun to do something different... so thought aha! I'll do a Wherigo!

Perhaps a silly idea? since I have only ever done & "found" 1 Wherigo, at an event....

I was hoping to simulate a real cash treasure hunt that happened recently in our area,following the same steps & posting the same clues and photos once a person arrives within the correct proximities.

So, I downloaded the builder from Wherigo.com and managed to create a zone around a start point (parking) , but am completely perplexed by the builder and am struggling to figure out how to use it. Can I use the emulator test a partially written cartridge to seem my progress so far?

I really would like to create this Wherigo, but am finding it so difficult! (perhaps it's just me being thick, but the tutorials I've found seem a bit knaff :/ )

Any advice appreciated!

You can use Groundspeak's builder, Urwigo, or Earwigo (see my signature line for links) for what you're asking. I also have Wherigo\\kit for simple cartridges to help with the learning curve. Kit, at least, will help you set up your zones, messages, and pictures. You could then export from Kit, read the cartridge into either Groundspeak's builder or Urwigo, and set the zones to be invisible and you'd be done with the cartridge. (I can't remember if Kit also makes the zones visible, though I think it just makes them active and relies on the visibility being set when the cartridge is first set up, which would be great for your application.) Kit's a great starter builder until you get comfortable with Wherigo and want to do more. Urwigo is the community's standard builder and the one most people turn to.

For the emulator, you'll have to install this fix (instructions) and for Groundspeak's builder, this one as well. It's a pain at the moment, but until the Wherigo Foundation gets full control over Wherigo, its members can't do too much beyond what we're already doing.

Anyway, please feel free to turn to everyone in this forum if you have any additional questions or would like more help. We don't bite. We just really like to help people have fun with Wherigo.

Thanks Ranger Fox!! :)

I was/am still waiting to gain access to the earwigo builder, but in the meanwhile still found their tutorial much more helpful than GC's so have got started using the WIG builder.

So far I have created 3 zones and now about to attempt adding photo clues & hope I arrange it so they get triggered correctly, upon entering certain zones.

Thanks for the links & tips! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later ;)

You can use Groundspeak's builder, Urwigo, or Earwigo (see my signature line for links) for what you're asking. I also have Wherigo\\kit for simple cartridges to help with the learning curve. Kit, at least, will help you set up your zones, messages, and pictures. You could then export from Kit, read the cartridge into either Groundspeak's builder or Urwigo, and set the zones to be invisible and you'd be done with the cartridge. (I can't remember if Kit also makes the zones visible, though I think it just makes them active and relies on the visibility being set when the cartridge is first set up, which would be great for your application.) Kit's a great starter builder until you get comfortable with Wherigo and want to do more. Urwigo is the community's standard builder and the one most people turn to.

For the emulator, you'll have to install this fix (instructions) and for Groundspeak's builder, this one as well. It's a pain at the moment, but until the Wherigo Foundation gets full control over Wherigo, its members can't do too much beyond what we're already doing.

Anyway, please feel free to turn to everyone in this forum if you have any additional questions or would like more help. We don't bite. We just really like to help people have fun with Wherigo.

Thanks Ranger Fox!! :)

I was/am still waiting to gain access to the earwigo builder, but in the meanwhile still found their tutorial much more helpful than GC's so have got started using the WIG builder.

So far I have created 3 zones and now about to attempt adding photo clues & hope I arrange it so they get triggered correctly, upon entering certain zones.

Thanks for the links & tips! I'm sure I'll be back with more questions later ;)

It should not take to long to get access to Earwigo. Nick is usually quite fast with his answers. He might however have to contribute some time to his second hobby AKA "work to feed the family" ;)

Once you get access to Earwigo you will be able to import your kit file (Lua or GWZ) and improve it in Earwigo. This http://earwigo.net/WWB/wiki/doku.php?id=tips_and_tricks#how_can_i_create_a_test_cartridge_by_hand link from the Earwigo wiki might help you with the management of the emulator together with Earwigo. It includes a reference to the required patches that RF has already pointed out.

Wish you luck with your project and keep us updated.