external power for eTrex 20 query

I am a bit confused about external power requirements for eTrex. Garmin says that it requires 5V yet it can also be run from a usb powered port which supply 5V.

I'm thinking of getting the anker solar charger for my ipod 5gen and it supplies 5V 8W and 1A and I was wondering if it would be suitable to power a gps in the bush instead of taking spare batteries. That would just be for running the eTrex without frying it, not charging batteries.

Trying to keep it charged while using it might be a little cuimbersome. Might think about a solar charger and a four chargeable batteries.

I was more thinking about using only as an emergency back up, where I would not need it powered on for very long but rather to just crosscheck my position on a map.

I am a bit confused about external power requirements for eTrex. Garmin says that it requires 5V yet it can also be run from a usb powered port which supply 5V.

I'm thinking of getting the anker solar charger for my ipod 5gen and it supplies 5V 8W and 1A and I was wondering if it would be suitable to power a gps in the bush instead of taking spare batteries. That would just be for running the eTrex without frying it, not charging batteries.

IMO it seems like a lot of work (and money). The eTrex 20 and 30 (I use both) are not hard at all on batteries. I've been using my 30 for the longest time it seems and the battery icon still shows more than half charged. Rather than your idea, invest in good quality rechargeables like Eneloop with an appropriate MAHA (or similar) charger. I took that good advice from this forum over a year ago and have been very happy with the outcome.

IMO it seems like a lot of work (and money). The eTrex 20 and 30 (I use both) are not hard at all on batteries. I've been using my 30 for the longest time it seems and the battery icon still shows more than half charged. Rather than your idea, invest in good quality rechargeables like Eneloop with an appropriate MAHA (or similar) charger. I took that good advice from this forum over a year ago and have been very happy with the outcome.

+1.....get the Sanyo Eneloop 2500's and a quality MAHA Charger, I own all the MAHA chargers and the MH-C801D is my favorite.

+1.....get the Sanyo Eneloop 2500's and a quality MAHA Charger, I own all the MAHA chargers and the MH-C801D is my favorite.

He says in the op he is going into the bush. Going to need a really long extension cord for this solution to work.

He says in the op he is going into the bush. Going to need a really long extension cord for this solution to work.

Yep, and going into the bush means taking as little extra weight as possible, so if the one charger can keep all his toys powered it's a much better option than carrying a spare set (or possibly many sets if it's an extended journey) of batteries for everything.

He says he will not be powered up long at any time....just a map check. I still say charge a half dozen Eneloops.....after a year they are supposed to still retain about 80% power.

...after a year they are supposed to...

And there is the rub, when my life could be on the line, 'supposed to' makes me a bit nervous. Of course I would have batteries but out here in the Australian bush things have been known to get very disorienting such that a map and compass can be of little use. It's meant to be an emergency backup should it be necessary.

I might just buy this and test it. The plan is to use it for an ipod touch, but I was hoping that it could serve me in a gps emergency situation.

All I wanted to know was, is this charger going to cause any damage to the etrex?

I appreciate the sentiment behind all the other advice.

www.ianker.com

Looks like a great device! Lucky they put an 'i' in the web address else it would say wanker.com! :laughing:

71ANSCP-B85A%20_BA_TD01.jpg