Perfectly Perplexing Puzzles

warm fuzzies

We know some of you in here have been waiting patiently for our little puzzle multi. We really appreciate your patience and your enthusiasm. To reward that patience and enthusiasm, well, we made a little cache. You can find it at

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?id=24391

We hope you enjoy finding it as much as we enjoyed making it.

[This message was edited by warm fuzzies on June 02, 2002 at 08:09 AM.]

well, you suceeded in making me feel like an idiot. i sat at your first location for over an hour trying to figure that out. very easy indeed? hmmm

im glad i sketched it, ill probably figure it out before christmas with luck.

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

quote:
Originally posted by Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC:

i sat at your first location for over an hour trying to figure that out. very easy indeed? hmmm

You just haven't had the "AHA!" experience you need yet; it'll come. What did you think of the hiding spot? Come log your experience on the cache page (as a note, obviously, since you're still working on it.)

warm.gif

[This message was edited by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy on June 04, 2002 at 07:21 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Now I wish _I_ were closer to Fort Wayne...

A friend of mine is supposed to be working on translating our physical puzzles into electronic form, so cachers who'll never make it to Fort Wayne can nonetheless play with them. The coordinates the online versions give won't be right, of course, because that would defeat the purpose of the physical caches for stages 1-3, but it would at least spread the fun around.

We had toyed with the idea of a full-fledged virtual cache hunt: you get a large aerial shot of Fort Wayne, on which you get to click to "find the cache." That takes you to a set of photos taken from near the cache area, on which you can click to navigate in a limited space until you find the cache. For example, I don't think I'm giving away any secrets by mentioning that the first stage is hidden near an elevated footbridge in Foster Park. So, clicking on Foster Park on the aerial would take you to a photo taken from one of the trails that approaches the footbridge. Clicking appropriate parts of that photo or other photos might take you under the bridge, under the stairs, up the stairs, to the middle of the bridge, and so on. Clicking on the right side of a photo might take you to another photo taken from the same location but facing to the right. From the aerial, clicking on Bluffton Road, across the river from the park, might take you to the approach to the other end of the bridge. If you click on the correct part of the correct photo, you find the cache. Or you find a discarded Coke can. Who knows... Sort of like (the original) Myst, really.

Once you find the cache, up pops the puzzle and you get to solve for the coords of the next cache.

For various reasons, among which are the fact that it would take hundreds of pictures, and that we want to get people to actually GO to the locations, we probably won't do this. (A picture of the footbridge in stage 1 just can't communicate the disoriented feeling you get if you walk across it at the same time as someone else while muddy, opaque water of indeterminate depth, visible through the cracks in the wooden deck, rushes by beneath.) But it sure would be fun to code.

warm.gif

your making my brain bleed fuzzman. i sketched your puzzle, printed it, and ive been messing with it since i left the location. i even sent the sketched picture to about 5 idiot savant friends, no luck.

anyway, as for the location, i need to trust my instincts more then my sometimes horrendously inaccurate GPS reciever. as i walked over there, i said "thats where i would hide it" but didnt check because i was being told "80 feet that way" finally after plodding through the brush, i decided to trust myself, and found it right where i would have put it myself.

i hope nobody else gets lead into the brush, i think i got a touch of poison ivy from that one.

now if i could just figure out this puzzle...

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

Markwell, we think you should pack up the kids and come to Fort Wayne for the weekend. It's not that far to drive, and you wouldn't have to spend the WHOLE weekend caching; there's lots of fun kid-friendly activities around town too.

Besides, you could pick up GD12-CAIN and GD12-CAOJ on the way. Neither one's too far off of US 30.

warm.gif

and I'm probably going to be in Ft. Wayne Sunday but only for a few hours. If I do this, it'll be in stages. If not Sunday, then certainly before the summer is out. We get to Ft. Wayne from time-to-time, I'll just have to build in a few extra hours to our trips there.

GeoMedic - team leader of GeoStars