Any options for reactivating APE caches?

Is there any option that at least some of the caches from APE project could be reactivated by the cacher community?

There's a badge in Project-GC that is actually impossible to earn in more that bronze level, and in some time even that may be gone.

Removing 'impossible' badges would probably be also out of options because there are folks who got them...

As each Project A.P.E. Cache went missing, it was archived because the entire reason for the special cache type was the unique large, decorated container. The movie promotion was long over. I don't expect that Geocaching HQ will reverse its policy of never unarchiving a Project A.P.E. cache after it's gone missing.

I flew to Chicago and Seattle to find my two caches of this type. One can still fly to Brazil to score the icon.

This decision was made many years ago, I'll say right about the time the Maryland and Illinois APE caches went missing within a month of each other. And yes, many people do think it was a disgruntled Geocacher. :ph34r: I believe that was 2006, and also back when the CEO of the company used to come here and interact in the forums, and I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on it), that he posted the "policy" right here.

EDIT to add: It pretty much already was the policy for years, but those two caches going missing really brought the situation to light. And I just looked, they went missing within about 20 days of each other. :mad:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Is there any option that at least some of the caches from APE project could be reactivated by the cacher community?

There's a badge in Project-GC that is actually impossible to earn in more that bronze level, and in some time even that may be gone.

Removing 'impossible' badges would probably be also out of options because there are folks who got them...

Just log "FOUND IT" in the remaining APE cache more than once, some did it and no logs were deleted ... :ph34r:

I go there many times (it´s 270km from where I live in the beautiful Intervales National Park) and if you want, just tell me what you want to be written in the logbook and I´ll do it!!!! B)

P.S: No I won´t log if for anybody... but the multiple logs are true, I even informed the CO and nothing was done!

As each Project A.P.E. Cache went missing, it was archived because the entire reason for the special cache type was the unique large, decorated container. The movie promotion was long over. I don't expect that Geocaching HQ will reverse its policy of never unarchiving a Project A.P.E. cache after it's gone missing.

I flew to Chicago and Seattle to find my two caches of this type. One can still fly to Brazil to score the icon.

Sounds like I found my excuse to visit Brazil.

You could always lobby the people over at project gc.com to remove that badge since it's so hard to get now.

Impossible, not hard...

Except you can really log your visit 3 times and their system is too stupid to notice.... But I doubt such behaviour should be promoted.

The only place when multiple logging makes sense are cyclic events.

What is an APE cache? I don't see it in the glossary.

Geocaching WIKIA

Funny they are also here... in Grandfathered Cache Types!

Not to rant about Geocaching wikia, but I have no idea who started that, and several years after cacheopedia was already out there, to boot. Here's a better article (in my opinion) straight from the horses mouth, i.e. written by someone who was asked to place one of the project ape caches: Project Ape? :)

http://markwell.us/projectape.htm

To answer the original post: no.

Project APE sounds cool, I was going to go find project 9 just after starting caching but delayed my trip to wait for the APE event, sadly in between it went missing.

I understand GS has one unused APE container, it would be so cool if they shared it by creating one last APE cache, maybe Mission 13: the relic.

They could place it in the wild or house it at HQ.

Just saying, there are creative options that won't break their so called APE rules.

Geocaching WIKIA

Not to rant about Geocaching wikia, but I have no idea who started that, and several years after cacheopedia was already out there, to boot. Here's a better article (in my opinion) straight from the horses mouth, i.e. written by someone who was asked to place one of the project ape caches: Project Ape? :)

Thanks for that. No plans on visiting Brazil in the near future.

Geocaching WIKIA

Thanks for that. No plans on visiting Brazil in the near future.

It's actually the same link Markwell posted in the post after mine, and written by him. Now I'm all paranoid he has me on his "ignore poster" list.

It's actually the same link Markwell posted in the post after mine, and written by him. Now I'm all paranoid he has me on his "ignore poster" list.

Did someone say something? J/K

More likely, I had my browser open to a reply, got distracted by something and finally came back to the computer realizing that I hadn't clicked "submit". Not unheard of to have something like that happen in a 40 minute time frame at my house.