Caching in Franklin County Metro parks?

Boundertom

Can anyone tell me what the official policy is regarding caching in the Franklin County (Ohio) Metro Parks? I remember reading sometime in the past that it was prohibited. I know there are quite a few caches in the Metro Parks- I've found several of them. I've tried to search for the answers with no luck. Figured it was better to ask here than to call the parks folks. Thanks!

Boundertom

[This message was edited by Boundertom on March 26, 2003 at 03:49 AM.]

As far as I know it's still prohibited. I need to get around to contacting them to find out what their stance really is on Geocaching. Hopefully I'll be able to do that w/in the next couple of weeks.

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

Department of the Army Field Manual FM 21-76 "Survival" Oct. 1970

I just got back from the Metro Parks district office. I was only able to speak with the receptionist, and she was not aware of any policies regarding Geocaching and said that as far as she knows this type of activity wouldn't be allowed. While I was there I left a voice message for the person who oversees all 14 parks. Hopefully I'll be able to speak with him about it and find out what their stance is. I also mentioned that we would be interested in doing a CITO day and asked if there would be any parks he might suggest for us to clean up. What would everyone think of cleaning up at one of the Metroparks after hitting Alum Creek in the morning?

Mr. 0

"Remember that nature and the elements are neither your friend or your enemy - they are actually disinterested."

I'm pretty much expecting a them to say it's not allowed as well. If that's the case I'm going to see if there's any way we could change their minds. I'll probably use examples of guidelines from other parks and see if they would be willing to setup some basic guidelines, and at least give us a chance.

Mr. 0

I just wanted to post this pic. I think that it pretty much spells out the rules. I guess they must be working on a permit system, since it says that a permit is required for ANY of the Metro Parks. If you're wondering. The top section where it says that is a different color because I used Photoshop to sharpen and adjust the contrast to make it readable.

letterboxremovedsharpened.jpg

Mr. 0