Activation Frustration

Iowa Mongoose

I purchased and received the Trackable (Blue Star Military Geocoin), which I have confirmed hasn't been activated, as was stated in the advertisement. However, neither can I activate it. The card, which came with the coin has a spot on the back, stating "Activation Code:" with a blank line beside it.

Of course Geocaching.com Trackables will not allow the coin to be activated without an Activation Code.

I attempted through Geocaching.com Trackables to retrieve the Activation Code. When doing so, the message I received said, "The manufacturer of this Trackable has requested that Activation Codes be retrieved from their web site. Please click hereto retrieve Activation Code." When I click "here", that sight took me to an "Unlabeled Site" requesting I put in my email address and the Tracking number, which I did.

It then gave me this message:

That coin's not found in our database

The failure to recieve a code could be due to the following:

2. The activation code has already been retrieved.
  3. The Tracking code from the coin is incorrect.
  4. The Coin number from the coin is incorrect

Please check to make sure the correct tracking code and Coin Number from the coin are entered in.

Please try to get your activation code again.

If this fails, or you are having problems, please contact us via email at "support@oakcoins.com".

I attempted this several times, and I've gone to the Oakcoin.com website, there is no option on that site to get an Activation Code, as that card enclosed with the Geocoin I received stated. The only way to get there is to manually type in the website address, which then takes me to that same "Unlabeled Site" to put in my email address and Trackable number and we start the whole "Ring-a-round the Rosey" game thing, again, which appears to be a never ending process.

I called Oakcoins.com, they received my email to the support address, they're investigating because they say it's one of their older coins and it will take some time to locate the Activation Code.

I'm a bit frustrated with this process. This is the very first Geocoin I've ever purchased, I'd like to know what the problem is, what's so hard about obtaining an Activation Code for an obviously recognizable Geocoin at the Geocaching.com Trackables site?

Edited by IowaMongoose

I have a very minor comment on activation. Unfortunately, It doesn't answer your problem or help with your frustration but it is a little related

I activated a coin today and I got the activation code. After it was complete, I got this kinda strange message. ( changed the codes here to protect the innocent)

Success!

Your Trackable's activation code is: XXXXXX (this was the activation code that I got)

Write this activation code down. This is the activation code you need to activate your trackable.

Your Trackable's activation code is: ZZZZZZ (This was the Tracking number on the coin, not the activation code)

PAul

I purchased and received the Trackable (Blue Star Military Geocoin), which I have confirmed hasn't been activated, as was stated in the advertisement. However, neither can I activate it. The card, which came with the coin has a spot on the back, stating "Activation Code:" with a blank line beside it.

Of course Geocaching.com Trackables will not allow the coin to be activated without an Activation Code.

I attempted through Geocaching.com Trackables to retrieve the Activation Code. When doing so, the message I received said, "The manufacturer of this Trackable has requested that Activation Codes be retrieved from their web site. Please click hereto retrieve Activation Code." When I click "here", that sight took me to an "Unlabeled Site" requesting I put in my email address and the Tracking number, which I did.

It then gave me this message:

That coin's not found in our database

The failure to recieve a code could be due to the following:

2. The activation code has already been retrieved.
  3. The Tracking code from the coin is incorrect.
  4. The Coin number from the coin is incorrect

Please check to make sure the correct tracking code and Coin Number from the coin are entered in.

Please try to get your activation code again.

If this fails, or you are having problems, please contact us via email at "support@oakcoins.com".

I attempted this several times, and I've gone to the Oakcoin.com website, there is no option on that site to get an Activation Code, as that card enclosed with the Geocoin I received stated. The only way to get there is to manually type in the website address, which then takes me to that same "Unlabeled Site" to put in my email address and Trackable number and we start the whole "Ring-a-round the Rosey" game thing, again, which appears to be a never ending process.

I called Oakcoins.com, they received my email to the support address, they're investigating because they say it's one of their older coins and it will take some time to locate the Activation Code.

I'm a bit frustrated with this process. This is the very first Geocoin I've ever purchased, I'd like to know what the problem is, what's so hard about obtaining an Activation Code for an obviously recognizable Geocoin at the Geocaching.com Trackables site?

Usually it is not this difficult. Most oftentimes geocaching.com will spit out the activation code. I actually had a similar issue with an oakcoins coin from 2008. I emailed and then called them. I got someone immediately who gave me a couple of possibilities that I tried and finally worked. Give them a chance to get back with you. Your scenario is not the norm. Try not to get too frustrated.

Usually it is not this difficult. Most oftentimes geocaching.com will spit out the activation code. I actually had a similar issue with an oakcoins coin from 2008. I emailed and then called them. I got someone immediately who gave me a couple of possibilities that I tried and finally worked. Give them a chance to get back with you. Your scenario is not the norm. Try not to get too frustrated.

Okay, thank you I'll wait.

I have a very minor comment on activation. Unfortunately, It doesn't answer your problem or help with your frustration but it is a little related

I activated a coin today and I got the activation code. After it was complete, I got this kinda strange message. ( changed the codes here to protect the innocent)

Success!

Your Trackable's activation code is: XXXXXX (this was the activation code that I got)

Write this activation code down. This is the activation code you need to activate your trackable.

Your Trackable's activation code is: ZZZZZZ (This was the Tracking number on the coin, not the activation code)

PAul

Hm, okay. At least I know, somewhat, to expect once it's Activated. :)

if you haven't, send an e-mail through their website...they've always been good about getting back to me. if you were re-directed to oakcoins by geocaching.com, I would guess you aready have the tracking number correct....as the coin is not activated, I would guess the activation code has already been retrieved once..if this is so, you should get a nice e-mail back from oakcoins giving you the code, although they might ask you to send a picture of the tracking number on the coin. hope this helps.

ILYK

ILYL

Have you attempted to contact the person you bought it from?

They may have the necessary code.

Yes, the seller is also working on it with me. Doing the same things I've done, so neither of us have given up, thank you for the idea and the post though, I might not have thought of this before deleting emails/receipts etc.

if you haven't, send an e-mail through their website...they've always been good about getting back to me. if you were re-directed to oakcoins by geocaching.com, I would guess you aready have the tracking number correct....as the coin is not activated, I would guess the activation code has already been retrieved once..if this is so, you should get a nice e-mail back from oakcoins giving you the code, although they might ask you to send a picture of the tracking number on the coin. hope this helps.

The idea about the picture of the tracking number is a definite idea I will try, it's one I have not as of yet. I sent them a picture of the coin but I don't think it was close enough to read the number on it. Thank you for all your help and I will keep everyone posted.

They are usually pretty quick (a day or two) getting back to me with the activation code. The last time they did want a photo. Worst case scenario and Oakcoins can't help you is to email customer service at Groundspeak. They can get the activation code for any trackable. (They also will want a photo and usually took longer (3-5 days) to get back to me.

They are usually pretty quick (a day or two) getting back to me with the activation code. The last time they did want a photo. Worst case scenario and Oakcoins can't help you is to email customer service at Groundspeak. They can get the activation code for any trackable. (They also will want a photo and usually took longer (3-5 days) to get back to me.

:rolleyes: Hurray!! I finally obtained the Activation Code last weekend via email after contacting Suppot for Groundspeak. I believe it helped that I had also sent them a picture of both sides of the coin. I also included a picture of the blank Oakcoins card, a quick note here on the picture of the side of the Geocoin displaying the number - I made sure the number was showing on the coin itself.

Groundspeak and Oakcoins were very helpful once I emailed them, and as I continued to call Oakcoins as well. The delay with Oakcoins was that they were having difficulties owing to a new d-Base to which they'd changed. The Geocoin was an old enough the Activation Code had not carried over into the new system. Technology strikes again! :ph34r:

Nobody was at fault it was the ever present fluke which happens when mixing different technological factors. In other words: computers, computer programs including d-Bases are only as smart as the humans who develop them, and then they can only truly be mastered after all the initial bugs are fixed and the next upgrade comes out. :laughing:

Edited by IowaMongoose