Did I miss Something?

acachebox

I went to register a new cache. It seams the system has changed. When I put in the coordinates a map popped up showing the surrounding caches with a circle showing the 528 ft. radius of each cache. The interesting thing was the fact that 80% of the caches in the area I was working all overlapped another cache. What has changed? If you want to see what I saw try and set a cache at N40 20 20 24.1 W74 39 51.31. Every cache on the Millstone river overlaps at least 2 other caches.

So haw do I insure a cache will be approved? Use this map or actual measurement from other caches?

Because it's a 528 foot RADIUS, the circles can overlap. They just cannot overlap the CENTER of any other circle.

Make sense?

The circles are a help, but probably not definitive. They weed out obvious proximity issues, but if you're 528.1 feet from another cache, it'll need to be looked at closer by the reviewer.

Edited by TriciaG

I went to register a new cache. It seams the system has changed. When I put in the coordinates a map popped up showing the surrounding caches with a circle showing the 528 ft. radius of each cache. The interesting thing was the fact that 80% of the caches in the area I was working all overlapped another cache. What has changed? If you want to see what I saw try and set a cache at N40 20 20 24.1 W74 39 51.31. Every cache on the Millstone river overlaps at least 2 other caches.

So haw do I insure a cache will be approved? Use this map or actual measurement from other caches?

The "Planning Map" was announced in the Release Notes February 25th:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=320086

Help Center → Hiding a Geocache → Review Process: Hiding a Geocache

1.11. Understanding the Geocache Planning Map

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=464

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

The new map only shows traditionals and as long as the dot of another isn't inside the circle of another it is okay. The circles can overlap.

Think of it as a quick check of your sanity, not a be all and end all. Remember it only shows traditional caches.

The cache I was placing the dot was right on the very edge of the circle, measured 1/10 on Google Earth. That being the case how can some circles overlap by a third or more?

The new map only shows traditionals and as long as the dot of another isn't inside the circle of another it is okay. The circles can overlap.

Think of it as a quick check of your sanity, not a be all and end all. Remember it only shows traditional caches.

The cache I was placing the dot was right on the very edge of the circle, measured 1/10 on Google Earth. That being the case how can some circles overlap by a third or more?

The circles are 1056 Ft Dia. That makes the 528 Ft. Radius. From the dot representing the cache to the outside line of the circle is 528 Ft. If the two caches are exactly on the edge of each others circle, they would be 528 Ft. apart. Don't think of it as a circle, but as a distance between the two. |<----- 528" ----->| The reason for showing the circle is to show all the nearby caches, But for any two you are just concerned about the straight line.