First GPS, what to buy?

Hiya folks and a good day to you all.

Like the topic says: What GPS to get an ascending Geocacher?

Some criterias: Color screen (maybe?), semi to large size sceen, easy to use and easy to upload Geocache data from Groundspeak.

Batteries: Well, the loner they last, the better ofcourse, but with color screen and a large one i guess something has to give :-)

Price: Well, cheap is allways nice, but with these criterias i expect it to cost some.

Any thoughts and advice? Thank you in advance!

/Run4thetop

Thanks for the reply guys, ive been looking at the 62s since ive read this, and its a fair price :-)

Its about 335$ here (Norway, Yeah everthing is expencive here). I see that Garmin 64s is out to, any thought? Is the 64s that much better?

Edited by Run4thetop

Thanks for the reply guys, ive been looking at the 62s since ive read this, and its a fair price :-)

Its about 335$ here (Norway, Yeah everthing is expencive here). I see that Garmin 64s is out to, any thought? Is the 64s that much better?

It has a few more bells and whistles ( GLONASS, holds more caches, etc ) but right now I don't think its worth the extra money you'll pay for the 64.

I'd go for the eTrex 20 due to the compact size and long battery life. That's important to me, most people seem to get transfixed by the bigass macho aerial on the 60 series, but since they put hi sensitivity receivers and changed the external design, the etrex is pretty sweet. If size is not that big a deal then the 60 series would probably be my choice simply for perhaps faster map rendering.

:unsure:

May I please ask the same question as Run4theTop? Here's what I m looking for:

My car is lacking a working speedometer, I was using a TomTom Go720 (up till last week when it died) for a speedometer, for in cities, towns and state mapping, itinerary and route planning. Please keep this in mind, it's very important. I had done this because it was cheaper than fixing the speedometer and buying updated paper maps (and having to store them) every few years.

In addition to those features, this is also what I would like to have in a GPSr:

•  
  • The ability to download updated street level, State and U.S.A. maps, and have them actually be accurate.
  • Off the main drags, streets, highways, and interstates, in other words all the un-marked a.k.a. "farm or back country roads" already in the GPSr or at least downloadable.
  • The ability to download caches for which I want to go look, then to upload and log them once I've found them, and have them deleted from the unit automatically or be able to do so once I have logged or uploaded them.
  • The ability to be able to see the screen when I'm in direct sunlight.
  • Big buttons, less touch screen requirements - or all touch, larger screen and sensitive to the touch with and without finger coverings.

Those are the basics I know I want, but as for anything I more, such as those things I absolutely should have as a Geocacher, I don't know - I'm clueless. So can you help me out with this part?

Please can you tell me what are the must haves beyond those I mentioned in order to "get the job done"; and then, what are the bangles, sparkles and whistles, which just aren't necessary for a typical noob Geocacher?

I suppose you should know also, I will never go to the under water scuba type Geocaching, or world-wide Geocaching, so those would be bangles, sparkles and whistles for me in a GPSr. Thank you for any and all the help you can give.

OH, one other question, what is a "Chirp" used for, and why might I have to or not have to get one in the future?

:anicute:

Edited by IowaMongoose

Read my answers above.....the 62S will do what you want. It has Chirp but I don't think you'll use it.....Garmin sells Chirps ( small tracking devices that can be put in caches) but they are expensive to put in a cache......I've never seen one although I'm sure they're around.

:unsure:

May I please ask the same question as Run4theTop? Here's what I m looking for:

My car is lacking a working speedometer, I was using a TomTom Go720 (up till last week when it died) for a speedometer, for in cities, towns and state mapping, itinerary and route planning. Please keep this in mind, it's very important. I had done this because it was cheaper than fixing the speedometer and buying updated paper maps (and having to store them) every few years.

In addition to those features, this is also what I would like to have in a GPSr:

•  
  • The ability to download updated street level, State and U.S.A. maps, and have them actually be accurate.
  • Off the main drags, streets, highways, and interstates, in other words all the un-marked a.k.a. "farm or back country roads" already in the GPSr or at least downloadable.
  • The ability to download caches for which I want to go look, then to upload and log them once I've found them, and have them deleted from the unit automatically or be able to do so once I have logged or uploaded them.
  • The ability to be able to see the screen when I'm in direct sunlight.
  • Big buttons, less touch screen requirements - or all touch, larger screen and sensitive to the touch with and without finger coverings.

Those are the basics I know I want, but as for anything I more, such as those things I absolutely should have as a Geocacher, I don't know - I'm clueless. So can you help me out with this part?

Please can you tell me what are the must haves beyond those I mentioned in order to "get the job done"; and then, what are the bangles, sparkles and whistles, which just aren't necessary for a typical noob Geocacher?

I suppose you should know also, I will never go to the under water scuba type Geocaching, or world-wide Geocaching, so those would be bangles, sparkles and whistles for me in a GPSr. Thank you for any and all the help you can give.

OH, one other question, what is a "Chirp" used for, and why might I have to or not have to get one in the future?

:anicute:

You're not going to like this answer, but you really want a hand-held for geocaching, and an automotive gps for driving. In the automotive department, you can actually get some models from Garmin for around $100 (maybe less) that come with lifetime map updates. Just look for Nuvi models with an LM or LMT after the number. That will take care of your maps and speedometer issue.

The reason you want two GPS's is that handhelds aren't really built for every day automotive use. You could buy one of the new Oregon 600's or a Montana 600, which offer a more nuvi-like interface for driving, but they're going to set you back at least $400, and you have to buy the street maps on top of that. (OpenStreetMaps are free and routable, but don't quite have the navigational abilities and address search capabilities in the US that Garmin's maps have). You'd have to buy City Navigator on DVD and then buy the lifetime maps subscription, so you're still looking at a minimum of $600 just to have a GPS that's good for geocaching and driving.

So... get a basic Nuvi with lifetime map updates for the car, look into a 62s for geocaching and hiking. Even though it comes with all the extra "bells and whistles," those features are useful whether you're a newbie or a seasoned professional. It's just that the 62s is a discontinued top-level model, so you get it at the price of an eTrex. But it's still a very capable GPS and will remain relevant for the foreseeable future.

Total cost: $300 minimum, depending how basic you go with your nuvi.

gallet Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM

I'd go for the eTrex 20 due to the compact size and long battery life. That's important to me, most people seem to get transfixed by the bigass macho aerial on the 60 series, but since they put hi sensitivity receivers and changed the external design, the etrex is pretty sweet. If size is not that big a deal then the 60 series would probably be my choice simply for perhaps faster map rendering.

BAMBOOZLE Posted Today, 01:39 PM

Read my answers above.....the 62S will do what you want. It has Chirp but I don't think you'll use it.....Garmin sells Chirps ( small tracking devices that can be put in caches) but they are expensive to put in a cache......I've never seen one although I'm sure they're around.

mineral2 Posted Today, 02:40 PM

You're not going to like this answer, but you really want a hand-held for geocaching, and an automotive gps for driving. In the automotive department, you can actually get some models from Garmin for around $100 (maybe less) that come with lifetime map updates. Just look for Nuvi models with an LM or LMT after the number. That will take care of your maps and speedometer issue.

The reason you want two GPS's is that handhelds aren't really built for every day automotive use. You could buy one of the new Oregon 600's or a Montana 600, which offer a more nuvi-like interface for driving, but they're going to set you back at least $400, and you have to buy the street maps on top of that. (OpenStreetMaps are free and routable, but don't quite have the navigational abilities and address search capabilities in the US that Garmin's maps have). You'd have to buy City Navigator on DVD and then buy the lifetime maps subscription, so you're still looking at a minimum of $600 just to have a GPS that's good for geocaching and driving.

So... get a basic Nuvi with lifetime map updates for the car, look into a 62s for geocaching and hiking. Even though it comes with all the extra "bells and whistles," those features are useful whether you're a newbie or a seasoned professional. It's just that the 62s is a discontinued top-level model, so you get it at the price of an eTrex. But it's still a very capable GPS and will remain relevant for the foreseeable future.

:rolleyes: Thank you all for your experienced sharing, patience and insight! I'm so relieved. :D I was getting way beyond overwhelmed and frustrated with the number of choices out there; the differences in the benefits a specific brand/model has sometimes even differed depending where you're going to buy it. :shocked: Any thoughts on where to buy to get the best for the money you spend? Again, thank you for your help. :)

Edited by IowaMongoose

gallet Posted Yesterday, 10:07 PM

BAMBOOZLE Posted Today, 01:39 PM

mineral2 Posted Today, 02:40 PM

:rolleyes: Thank you all for your experienced sharing, patience and insight! I'm so relieved. :D I was getting way beyond overwhelmed and frustrated with the number of choices out there; the differences in the benefits a specific brand/model has sometimes even differs depending where you're going to buy it. :shocked: Any thoughts on where to buy to get the best for the money you spend? Again, thank you for your help. :)

REI is my personal choice, more expensive but they've now replaced three GPS units for me at no cost.

For older, out of production models, Amazon or GPSCity seem to have the best deals. The 62s is still in stock at many retail stores including REI and Cabellas and is often "on sale" for $200 (same that you tend to find at Amazon, etc.).

For current models, prices don't vary much from store to store, except during promotional sales.

For older, out of production models, Amazon or GPSCity seem to have the best deals. The 62s is still in stock at many retail stores including REI and Cabellas and is often "on sale" for $200 (same that you tend to find at Amazon, etc.).

For current models, prices don't vary much from store to store, except during promotional sales.

Thank you, what is REI? Never mind I found out, thank you - I'm assuming it's:

http://www.rei.com/

Edited by IowaMongoose

I would like to add here a huge CAUTION!! about Garmin products. I have bought about a dozen of Garmins gps unit etrex, the 62s, 76. and about 5 different nuvi's. the list goes on. a week ago I couldn't get my nuvi 255w to work because the map was missing. Well, in the past you could simply plug it into the computer and get a message" reload the original map" not a new one but the one you started with. Well, forget that now if you lose your map, you will have to spend about $70 for a new updated one. That is the only way to get it working again. Garmin has joined the ranks of Microsoft. The dollar has become the only thing. Not service. You would think someone spending as much as I have with them they would appreciate a little. You know Microsoft had really lost ground to the Ipod and others by making you buy a new ops system every so often. and on top of that you lost half of you old stuff that you spent a fortune on because it wouldn't work on window 7 or 8. you cant even go back to 95 or xp or others because they wont upgrade them. Well hello greedy garmin. same deal.