dates on logs

I always sign logs but why do I have to put the date? This morning I was out to get a few caches and on the first I put the 24th, on the next I realized it was the 27th. This got me to thinking why is a date required anyway because when you log it on line it gets dated anyway. There are even some caches that the owner asks for initial only because of the size.

I think it'd be real convienent, especially if you wanted to fudge a little on a streak, (which is only your own business) to not put a date. Otherwise, I'd say it'd just a be a courtesy for the rare CO that does like to verify the logs to maintain the integrity of the cache's logs. Although I guess most don't check it. Maybe it just helps maintain the illusion that people care about bogus loggings being detected.

when you log it on line it gets dated anyway.

Yes and no. When you log it online, it shows the date you logged it on. That doesn't mean that's the date you found it-although you can change it. I personally don't do dates anymore, but I is sometimes interesting to see when it was last found.

I'm forever guessing the date when I'm logging a cache at the site (so far I've always got the month right huh.gif, but the day's # is usually somewhere within 3 days of the correct one). Sometimes I check my cell phone for the date, most of the time I don't. Never thought to not include the date.

Edited by L0ne.R

I think it'd be real convienent, especially if you wanted to fudge a little on a streak, (which is only your own business) to not put a date.

I was doing a short cache series and noticed someone had found the first cache two days ago, the second cache yesterday, and the third cache today. Okay, I figured they lived nearby and this was just a convenient way to maintain a streak. Then I got to the fourth cache and saw that this person had found it tomorrow, the fifth cache two days from now, etc. :rolleyes:

When you log it online, it shows the date you logged it on.
Actually, when I log it online, it shows the date I actually found it on. Well, technically, it shows the date in my field note, but since that date always matches the date I actually found it on...
When you log it online, it shows the date you logged it on.
Actually, when I log it online, it shows the date I actually found it on. Well, technically, it shows the date in my field note, but since that date always matches the date I actually found it on...

And how many times have you looked on line a previous logs and read

"Found this a few days/weeks/months ago"

And then wondered "WHEN did they find it, the date of the log, or previous to that? :unsure:

(Especially difficult if there's a DNF before their log!)

I try to write the date (If I can remember it!) Did write the date once as "Tues Weds 2014" as I completely forgot the date!

Seems weird to see all these "don't remember the date" or "i get the date wrong" replies? Whether you're using a gpsr or a phone, both have this info readily available.

I always put the date down. This is not only for my records, but also as a back up in the unlikely event that one of my find logs gets deleted. (ie: challenge cache that deals with dates). It'd probably be a good idea to do this if you're a person who plays the ftf game.

Seems weird to see all these "don't remember the date" or "i get the date wrong" replies? Whether you're using a gpsr or a phone, both have this info readily available.

I simply do not care when being at a cache about the date. Why should I navigate through a few pages on my GPS-receiver to look up the exact date?

I use the right date when doing my online logs.

If there is enough space and I do not forget, I will add my guess for the date which can easily be 1-2 days off.

Otherwise I put no date in the log book.

This is not only for my records, but also as a back up in the unlikely event that one of my find logs gets deleted. (ie: challenge cache that deals with dates). It'd probably be a good idea to do this if you're a person who plays the ftf game.

First, the site provides you with a link for deleted logs. Second, I do not need the entry in the log book to know which caches I visited 14 days ago. It plays no role whatsoever if I used the right date on SUnday June 15, for example (actually, I used June 14).

Cezanne

I also put down either my full handle, or NYPC (if the log sheet is small) and the data. I will take an extra 3-5 seconds to look at the current date on my smart phone to make sure I write the correct date. Some log sheets become a mangled mess, but if possible I usually look at the previous log to see when the cache was last found.

I simply do not care when being at a cache about the date. Why should I navigate through a few pages on my GPS-receiver to look up the exact date?

I use the right date when doing my online logs.

If there is enough space and I do not forget, I will add my guess for the date which can easily be 1-2 days off.

Otherwise I put no date in the log book.

This is not only for my records, but also as a back up in the unlikely event that one of my find logs gets deleted. (ie: challenge cache that deals with dates). It'd probably be a good idea to do this if you're a person who plays the ftf game.

First, the site provides you with a link for deleted logs. Second, I do not need the entry in the log book to know which caches I visited 14 days ago. It plays no role whatsoever if I used the right date on SUnday June 15, for example (actually, I used June 14).

Cezanne

First, you must be retired! :lol:

Not sure i'm understanding you correctly. You may not do challenge caches or ftfs so this may not pertain to you. What i'm getting at is that a find of mine could be deleted if i didn't add the date to the physical logbook. For example, a consecutive days challenge cache. I would say that a CO had a right to delete my find if he checked the physical logbook for one of the caches i used for the challenge and didn't see a date beside my name. Again, it's rare that a cache owner would actually go out and physically do this,,, but ya never know. If you're a ftf guy, it would definitely be a good idea to put the date, and probably the time of day, on the physical logbook.

Like others have said, i also like to read logbooks and sometimes see when others visited a cache.

Not sure i'm understanding you correctly. You may not do challenge caches or ftfs so this may not pertain to you.

I indeed do not care about FTFs. FTFs are inofficial however and this is not related to log deletions.

FTFs are inofficial and moreover,

What i'm getting at is that a find of mine could be deleted if i didn't add the date to the physical logbook. For example, a consecutive days challenge cache. I would say that a CO had a right to delete my find if he checked the physical logbook for one of the caches i used for the challenge and didn't see a date beside my name.

Maybe, I do not know. Such challenges might be an exception.

Like others have said, i also like to read logbooks and sometimes see when others visited a cache.

Actually, in the long run it will make no difference whether I e.g. visited a cache on June 13 or June 14 and if you really want to know the exact date, you can look it up on the webpage anyway.

The same is true if I forget to add the date or do not find enough space.

Cezanne

I always put the date down. This is not only for my records, but also as a back up in the unlikely event that one of my find logs gets deleted. (ie: challenge cache that deals with dates). It'd probably be a good idea to do this if you're a person who plays the ftf game.

Umm... I may be technologically challenged, but my wristwatch tells me what date it is.