Naming a cache series

I know this will sound like a crazy question, but it is legitimate. I've asked two publishers but they do not get back to me.

I assume many of you have seen the video on YouTube out there about the "Jack Schitt" family. My geocaching friend and I want to put out a series based on all the names of the Schitt family. Example: Loda Schitt, Chicken Schitt, Piza Schitt, Noe Schitt, etc., etc. Here's a link to the video.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKVQR-kjHNA

Anyway, do you think this type of name would be approved? If there is a publisher reading this, I just need to know.

Thanks, and no, this is not a joke.

I wouldn't publish any of those.

+1

I could check with the other two Reviewers that also cover your area, but I think you got the general idea.

In general, Groundspeak asks the Reviewers to take a somewhat innocent read of such puns, but I'd say that title you referenced (and the accompanying video) are not so nuanced, but more like a 2x4 between the eyes.

Another "no" -- this is past a witty double entendre or disguised profanity. Cache listings need to be family-friendly. If you're letting the ten year old navigate and you ask him "what's the next cache?" would you want it to be part of this series? That's my test.

The same is true for the forums, so let's all avoid the temptation to test the boundaries.

Wow, I'm actually surprised at all the no's. I've seen a (now archived)cache named Sofa King Cool, or something like that, and it wasp placed by a furniture store. And I also have a cache with almost the exact same thing as the OP. Well it wasn't named that, but it had the whole story. Parts of the description from This Cache

SNIP... Jack is the only son of Awe Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt. SNIP He recently returned from Italy with his new Italian bride, Pisa Schitt. Sadly, Jack had passed away, and Pisa was left in charge of the Funeral arrangements. SNIP

I mean it's not like it's targeting anyone or cursing because it's "cool" like some of the user names talked about a week or 2 ago, it's just a giant pun. Maybe it's just that us Canucks wouldn't get offended in any way, or maybe the reviewer just didn't get it.

Ultimately it's ask your reviewer. You emailed them, with no answer, try publishing the cache like that. There's nothing to lose. Worst that can happen is they won't publish it, so you'd be in the exact same spot you are now.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Ultimately it's ask your reviewer. You emailed them, with no answer...

Ummmm....actually two of the Reviewers for that territory just replied, and a 3rd from the East Coast confirmed our opinion. I'm thinking that's good enough.

I sure don't recall getting any email, but maybe it got lost somewhere along the way :unsure:

Ummmm....actually two of the Reviewers for that territory just replied, and a 3rd from the East Coast confirmed our opinion. I'm thinking that's good enough.

I sure don't recall getting any email, but maybe it got lost somewhere along the way :unsure:

Nomex...dang I forgot to email you. I emailed Hemlock and Krypton. I was surprised Hemlock didn't reply, but not surprised Krypton didn't. My friend and I have about 10-15 caches for this series. Of course, I don't want to submit something if likely hood it would be turned down. My partner on this really wants to do it, but I have reservations myself. So, I wanted to ask here.

I am going to go back to the replies and reread them. Yes, it's more adult humor and perhaps families wouldn't approved. Thanks so much!

So, Nomex, I am assuming you would not publish?

Wow, I'm actually surprised at all the no's. I've seen a (now archived)cache named Sofa King Cool, or something like that, and it wasp placed by a furniture store. And I also have a cache with almost the exact same thing as the OP. Well it wasn't named that, but it had the whole story. Parts of the description from This Cache

SNIP... Jack is the only son of Awe Schitt. Awe Schitt, the fertilizer magnate, married O. Schitt, the owner of Needeep N. Schitt. SNIP He recently returned from Italy with his new Italian bride, Pisa Schitt. Sadly, Jack had passed away, and Pisa was left in charge of the Funeral arrangements. SNIP

I mean it's not like it's targeting anyone or cursing because it's "cool" like some of the user names talked about a week or 2 ago, it's just a giant pun. Maybe it's just that us Canucks wouldn't get offended in any way, or maybe the reviewer just didn't get it.

Ultimately it's ask your reviewer. You emailed them, with no answer, try publishing the cache like that. There's nothing to lose. Worst that can happen is they won't publish it, so you'd be in the exact same spot you are now.

Ahhhhhh, interesting. Maybe the difference is the TITLE of cache doesn't have "Schitt" in it, whereas our series would. Each one would be called the name of the Schitt family member......hmmm.

Another "no" -- this is past a witty double entendre or disguised profanity. Cache listings need to be family-friendly. If you're letting the ten year old navigate and you ask him "what's the next cache?" would you want it to be part of this series? That's my test.

The same is true for the forums, so let's all avoid the temptation to test the boundaries.

Thanks, Keystone! Much appreciate your honesty. It is meant for humor, BUT the family friendly deal would give it a NO.

I wouldn't publish any of those.

+1

I could check with the other two Reviewers that also cover your area, but I think you got the general idea.

In general, Groundspeak asks the Reviewers to take a somewhat innocent read of such puns, but I'd say that title you referenced (and the accompanying video) are not so nuanced, but more like a 2x4 between the eyes.

I do understand, Nomex. Me thinks going with a different series is best. Thanks everyone. Sure, I am disappointed as we've been discussing this for a long time. I hadn't thought about the family friendly thing for a while. My bad. Thanks!

Oops. Forgot to see who was posting. Anyway it's still correct, just nee a time machine to do it... :rolleyes:

While I think it's hilarious when SNL does it (Colonel Angus, Schweaty Balls, cork soakers), I don't think it has a place in a family-friendly game such as Geocaching.

Ok, this is too easy. Nice name there...Pork King....PorkKing....and I'm sure you can figure the rest out with the help of urban dictionary....

I'm just glad that the Geocaching community, as large as it is, is able to come to agreement on what is family-friendly and what isn't. I know I wouldn't want anybody deciding for me what my 10 year old should and shouldn't see. I'd prefer to decide that for myself.

I'm just glad that the Geocaching community, as large as it is, is able to come to agreement on what is family-friendly and what isn't. I know I wouldn't want anybody deciding for me what my 10 year old should and shouldn't see. I'd prefer to decide that for myself.

If the line was drawn outside of your realm of comfort, then you would not allow your children to go geocaching. Perhaps your line is different than others, so the line is drawn towards the more restrictive to accomodate more people. It is also not drawn so far that way that Groudspeak appears to be PC extremists and folks can't have some harmless fun.

If the line was drawn outside of your realm of comfort, then you would not allow your children to go geocaching. Perhaps your line is different than others, so the line is drawn towards the more restrictive to accomodate more people. It is also not drawn so far that way that Groudspeak appears to be PC extremists and folks can't have some harmless fun.

It's not about where the line should be drawn - wherever it's drawn, there will be people on both sides of it. The question is whether the line should be drawn at all by Groudspeak, or should people take the responsibility of parenting their own children and not abdicate that right to a geocache-listing website.

Luckily for parents, they have Groundspeak to protect their children's eyes from seeing Jack Schitt. I'm sure we'll all sleep better for it.

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, he who sacrifices liberty for security enjoys neither.

Edited by TopShelfRob

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin, he who sacrifices liberty for security enjoys neither.

Groundspeak reserves the liberty to maintain a clean and classy site.

Forget about parents shielding their children from the sight of vulgarity. If Groundspeak doesn't feel like playing host to course cache names then so be it. Good for them. It's their site.

Groundspeak reserves the liberty to maintain a clean and classy site.

Forget about parents shielding their children from the sight of vulgarity. If Groundspeak doesn't feel like playing host to course cache names then so be it. Good for them. It's their site.

Fair enough. But who arbitrates what is vulgar and what isn't? What is famly friendly and what isn't? What is classy and what isn't? It's all opinion.

The very point of this thread was to see if the OP's reviewer would allow it. So what if a reviewer where he is wouldn't allow something but another reviewer somewhere else would? Does that mean it is vulgar in one place but isn't somewhere else? This whole thing seems very arbitrary. One reviewer in Nebraska could deny a cache named "Saving Jack Schitt" but a reviewer in New Jersey could allow a cache named "Sofa King Hilarious".

Yep, it's their site they can list whatever they want. But I would like to think even those who are most in favor of keeping the website as unoffensive as possible would understand that a standard that determines what should and should not be published should not depend on which reviewer you happen to get.

I emailed Hemlock and Krypton. I was surprised Hemlock didn't reply,

Hemlock replied in this thread. He just forgot to change accounts and posted with his player alias.

Ahhh ok. Hemlock is a sweetheart. Our area rarely gets him these days.

A local cacher has a series (has been named 'silly names' series) with, among others:

ROSE BUSH

DI RHEA

BILL DING

JOE KING

EILEEN DOVER

BEN DOVER

JACK POT

ANNETTE CURTAIN

TIM BURR

ANNE TEAK

ROBIN BANKS

MONA LOTT

etc.

I love this!! This is a great play on words. This has got me thinking!

How about a series called "No Vowel Language!" and then name the caches without any vowels in the words.

LckNLck

HppyBrthdy (I'm taking liberties with Y)

LstNFnd

PtrPprPckd@Pck0fPckldPpprs (that's a zero, by the way)

I like those 6NoiseyHikers. Not bad. Thanks for the idea!

Edited by Cis_E

There's a cache called Wear The Fox Hat One near me...

We have a couple of those too. Somebody had to point out the meaning to me. DUH! I am not very swift.

Now back to the original post.

Someone commented about having adult humor on a family hobby site. I find the naming of the series was actually not very adult. It is something I would likely have laughed at with my friends when I was a teenager, and I am sure some of my friends would have found it very dumb. Nowadays i find it very dumb.

PAul

Someone commented about having adult humor on a family hobby site. I find the naming of the series was actually not very adult. It is something I would likely have laughed at with my friends when I was a teenager...

PAul

+1

Paul and Ceyber.....we have already come to that conclusion. It's not going to be done. I'm 67. Didn't think of it has teenage humor. Just humor. I knew going in with the question, it wouldnt fly. Had to try and we now have the answer. Thanks for your input and to everyone's candid answers. Much appreciated.

I don't get the "fox hat" but I don't want to know! Lol

Edited by Cis_E
Someone commented about having adult humor on a family hobby site. I find the naming of the series was actually not very adult. It is something I would likely have laughed at with my friends when I was a teenager...

PAul

+1

Paul and Ceyber.....we have already come to that conclusion. It's not going to be done. I'm 67. Didn't think of it has teenage humor. Just humor. I knew going in with the question, it wouldnt fly. Had to try and we now have the answer. Thanks for your input and to everyone's candid answers. Much appreciated.

If you're no longer accepting on-topic input, than perhaps you could ask to have the thread closed?

PAul

+1

If you're no longer accepting on-topic input, than perhaps you could ask to have the thread closed?

Good idea, thanks! I hadn't though of that. Ok, so can this thread be closed. I have my answers and they are great :-)