speaking thread

Since the weather was being discussed earlier, I thought I'd just mention this (read: rub it in):

We, out here in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, just completed our annual flower count. The 2015 total is in, and there are 17 billion blooms in town.

What's this "snow" thing people keep talking about? :laughing:

<_<

Double <_<

I don't think that BC'ers are supposed to gloat. Ticks the East Coasters off, ya know.

B.

Since the weather was being discussed earlier, I thought I'd just mention this (read: rub it in):

We, out here in beautiful Victoria, BC, Canada, just completed our annual flower count. The 2015 total is in, and there are 17 billion blooms in town.

What's this "snow" thing people keep talking about? :laughing:

<_<

Double <_<

I don't think that BC'ers are supposed to gloat. Ticks the East Coasters off, ya know.

B.

Yeah!

All packed into ice now, no chance (without an axe) of digging caches out.

I've been walking around my yard with crampons on...

Geocaching is pretty good right now where I live.

16681812479_d2641ec0f3.jpg

Seriously, you folks need to cut it out now.

<_<

What kind of bikes are those?

B.

Mine is on the right. It is a Townie Electra. It's perfect for caching on the flat. You are sitting upright so it's easier to enjoy the view as you ride along and easier on the shoulders than a traditional bike. I changed the original handlebars so it's even more comfortable. One of these days I'll add a mount for my smartphone.

One the left we have the A-Team and the G-Force's bikes. Not sure what kind they are.

Sorry the snow is getting you down. Maybe some photos of flowers would help. I know when I post daffodil photos on social media every February, it gives hope to my friends and family who are further north.

16867990185_bd090e2661_z.jpg

We have had a massive snow melt/evaporation here, but I'm not sure about further north, our usual caching area.

It's been weird. The loss of snow did not equal an increase in water in the ditches. Things have progressed nicely in that we've had no flooding or potential overflow problems.

The ice on the lake is still solid. Going to be a while yet before much happens there and boat-caching is in season.

B.

I thought it looked familiar. B)

Here's mine on a local rail trail.

48ff317c-232e-412e-9ada-eeafa7ff484d.jpg

Last year was the first time I'd ridden a bike in 40+ years. Took a bit of re-learning, but love it now.

There have been some additions to it over the winter. Need to get out caching and get a new photo of it.

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I thought it looked familiar. B)

Here's mine on a local rail trail.

48ff317c-232e-412e-9ada-eeafa7ff484d.jpg

Last year was the first time I'd ridden a bike in 40+ years. Took a bit of re-learning, but love it now.

There have been some additions to it over the winter. Need to get out caching and get a new photo of it.

B.

You have excellent taste! Here's a similar photo of mine. Looks like you have the original seat and handlebars. I replaced those in mine. Tried many seats until I found the right one for me. It's a good bike for people who are afraid of falling and also for frequent stops. You can sit on the seat with your feet flat on the ground. The basket is good for bringing extra pens, snacks etc.

16867147601_fe8eff7495_z.jpg

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I have a cache that I've had disabled all winter because the area was closed off for construction. I read in the paper the other day that the construction project was done for the season and the area was reopened. So I need to get out to check on (probably replace) my cache; then today I get a Found log on it, so I figure it's still there and I don't need to check on it right away. Until I actually read the log and find out someone is catching up on their logging from last August. Well, I should be able to get to it in the next 2-3 days.

I have a cache that I've had disabled all winter because the area was closed off for construction. I read in the paper the other day that the construction project was done for the season and the area was reopened. So I need to get out to check on (probably replace) my cache; then today I get a Found log on it, so I figure it's still there and I don't need to check on it right away. Until I actually read the log and find out someone is catching up on their logging from last August. Well, I should be able to get to it in the next 2-3 days.

I have a multi-cache with a redirect that is pretty difficult to spot and since the weather has improved, I keep getting DNF logs on it. I was pretty sure it was fine, but I checked on it today, and sure enough, it's fine.

I was going to post this in the maintenance thread, but thought it might be more appropriate here.

We've been having such nice weather here for over two months. It's been nice getting out caching.

Here's some pictures from my last caching day, a week ago.

The valley here is covered in pear and apple blossoms:

4e5e8f88-b788-400b-8ef8-9f0deb9e11fb_l.jpg

Balsamroot:

dd3a93e5-4270-4a20-b3f4-b0d882ff15df_l.jpg

These next two pictures were taken by my MIL. The cache was right on top of a marmot den:

11108953_10206293298354259_3620298252506922479_n_zpstmbiypcm.jpg

11133790_10206293010587065_4659336322845791347_n_zps4ykydov8.jpg

I can understand why a CO would consider "Go out to your cache and see if my TB is still there" as being an unreasonable request, but I also think that not responding at all to this email is really rude:

Hi -

When you were doing maintenance on your cache (Name & Code redacted) did you happen to check on the trackables that are listed as being in the cache? Did you notice whether my TB (Name redacted) was there? I don't see it in the recent image, but can't tell for sure whether it's there or not.

Thanks,

Nancy

</vent>

Thought I'd finally have the opportunity to check on our lonely padde-to with the snow gone and muck now sorta solid from the dropping temps this week.

Get kinda close to parking, and snow squalls so heavy I had to pull over.

Not sticking, just making visibility the pits.

Can't win... :)

1431108067[/url]' post='5503259']

Usually May is my busiest month!

Same here. Love not having to push through thigh high weeds and grass. No mosquitoes yet. It's been dry so no flooding issues. It's too bad you haven't been able to get out but a new abode is an exciting time. Good luck with the move.

There was a thread a few months ago in which I commented that it would be great if publication of a series of caches would be spread out to stretch the excitement for the benefit of (1) the CO, (2) cachers in general, and (3) those who enjoy the FTF hunt.

Well, the opposite happened again today. A series of three, all within a couple mile radius, was published within a 7-minute time span. Within an hour or so, one person claimed FTF on all three.

The CO should have spread them out over a week, IMO.

A suburban cache was published by a CO who has been a member for 1.5 years and has -0- recorded finds!

The parking coords are 3 miles from the coords for GZ! (in the suburbs, and across a highway!) DNF posted, and a half dozen skeptical notes.

The CO had time to place the cache and publish it, but added this note after the DNF and notes:

Didn't have enough time to properly create GOOD directions/coordinates.

Gee, thank for nothing! You send out cachers (whose time is valuable) and the coords are apparently a mile or more off?! <_<

There was a thread a few months ago in which I commented that it would be great if publication of a series of caches would be spread out to stretch the excitement for the benefit of (1) the CO, (2) cachers in general, and (3) those who enjoy the FTF hunt.

Well, the opposite happened again today. A series of three, all within a couple mile radius, was published within a 7-minute time span. Within an hour or so, one person claimed FTF on all three.

I don't mean to be rude, but when I place caches, I don't ever think about the comfort of ftf cachers. It's not a game that I play, and it's not official, so I submit caches on my own time, not other's.

I don't mean to be rude, but when I place caches, I don't ever think about the comfort of ftf cachers. It's not a game that I play, and it's not official, so I submit caches on my own time, not other's.

I don't mean to be rude either, but only one-third of my reasoning was related to the FTF crowd! Here's why staggered publication benefits the CO and cachers in general, not *just* FTF seekers.

When a group of new caches is published, it's an exciting time for COs and for the local cachers. If the whole group gets published at one time, all of the initial excitement is gone in two days (in cities and suburbs, less so in rural areas where caches are not found for weeks or months - like right now, within 30 miles of me, there is exactly -1- unfound cache, and it is disabled for bad coords).

I am a CO. If I were putting out four new caches, there is no way I would publish (submit) them all at once. (Obviously, FTF is a non-issue if I am the CO.) Why would I not do it? Because at least in this area there is much more seeking-and-finding-excitement the first few days, maybe up to two weeks. Then things quiet down and level off. Why would I want to be buried in emails for a week, versus enjoying a steady stream of emails for a month?? And the community is equally excited by new caches. Why bunch them? Better to hunt new caches all month than just one weekend. I realize that an unfound cache is an unfound cache. But people - not just the FTF crowd - love to see what's new out there and talk about what they and their friends are finding right now. At least in the caching environment here, it's a no-brainer that staggered submission/publication is the way to go!

In my area FTF activity is IMO at exactly the right level. It exists, but it is not cutthroat. It adds fun and excitement in the community. People talk about it. It's good for the game. Yes, I play it too. Even if I didn't, I consider that some people that I know are doing it and enjoying it, and I'd slightly modify my submission/publication schedule to give them their enjoyment. Slight modification of submission/publication schedules is veeeery little extra effort for a CO, and greatly adds to the enjoyment of many. (Placing caches is the difficult, time-consuming work - do that on your own schedule, I suggest, but submit according to a good schedule for the community.) So yes, IMO a CO *should* consider the FTF crowd, and even if not, they should still stagger the submission/publication of nearby caches.

Edited by wmpastor

Near me, a CO had one cache published on a nice, 2mi or so (one way) walk.

Second through seventh published on staggered days along the same trail, a few beyond the first "nice, 2mi or so (one way) walk".

- By logs, he would have made most folks a lot happier if they came out all at once.

I don't mean to be rude either, but only one-third of my reasoning was related to the FTF crowd! Here's why staggered publication benefits the CO and cachers in general, not *just* FTF seekers.

When a group of new caches is published, it's an exciting time for COs and for the local cachers. If the whole group gets published at one time, all of the initial excitement is gone in two days (in cities and suburbs, less so in rural areas where caches are not found for weeks or months - like right now, within 30 miles of me, there is exactly -1- unfound cache, and it is disabled for bad coords).

I am a CO. If I were putting out four new caches, there is no way I would publish (submit) them all at once. (Obviously, FTF is a non-issue if I am the CO.) Why would I not do it? Because at least in this area there is much more seeking-and-finding-excitement the first few days, maybe up to two weeks. Then things quiet down and level off. Why would I want to be buried in emails for a week, versus enjoying a steady stream of emails for a month?? And the community is equally excited by new caches. Why bunch them? Better to hunt new caches all month than just one weekend. I realize that an unfound cache is an unfound cache. But people - not just the FTF crowd - love to see what's new out there and talk about what they and their friends are finding right now. At least in the caching environment here, it's a no-brainer that staggered submission/publication is the way to go!

In my area FTF activity is IMO at exactly the right level. It exists, but it is not cutthroat. It adds fun and excitement in the community. People talk about it. It's good for the game. Yes, I play it too. Even if I didn't, I consider that some people that I know are doing it and enjoying it, and I'd slightly modify my submission/publication schedule to give them their enjoyment. Slight modification of submission/publication schedules is veeeery little extra effort for a CO, and greatly adds to the enjoyment of many. (Placing caches is the difficult, time-consuming work - do that on your own schedule, I suggest, but submit according to a good schedule for the community.) So yes, IMO a CO *should* consider the FTF crowd, and even if not, they should still stagger the submission/publication of nearby caches.

Not just areas within our State, but in other States we've cached in, it seems the norm that after the FTF, caches tend to sit for a while.

They're then hit by the locals within a few weeks, and sit again for some time before folks "just passing through" grab it once in a while.

Staggering caches seems (to me) to only be an attempt to mix things up (or mess with) the FTF crowd.

I am really irked by a n00b who picked up one of my TBs last July and didn't log it; did mention in his cache log that he took it. "My first travel bug!" Oh, how I cringe when I read those words! Also didn't go caching again (except for 1 cache in December). I reissued the TB and placed it in a cache on Monday. That same day, before I had logged my drop, the n00b grabbed the TB from me and placed it in a cache. Now I have two copies of the same Tb out, one in Colorado and one in New Mexico. GRRR!

I am really irked by a n00b who picked up one of my TBs last July and didn't log it; did mention in his cache log that he took it. "My first travel bug!" Oh, how I cringe when I read those words! Also didn't go caching again (except for 1 cache in December). I reissued the TB and placed it in a cache on Monday. That same day, before I had logged my drop, the n00b grabbed the TB from me and placed it in a cache. Now I have two copies of the same Tb out, one in Colorado and one in New Mexico. GRRR!

It could be worse. You could have one in Utah and one in the UK. ph34r.gif

Aaargh! Another case of duplicate TBs! One in Massachusetts and one in New Mexico.

On Jan 12/14 one of my TBs was logged as having been placed in a cache (which has frequent finds) by very experienced cachers. On July 5/14 the CO of that cache stated that the cache was missing and replaced it. At that time, I assumed that any trackables that had been in the cache when it went missing were also missing. However, it looks as though the TB may have been placed a different cache (a puzzle with very few finds) instead (by the experienced cachers) and stayed there until another cacher rescued it yesterday.

Meanwhile, under the assumption that the TB had been lost along with the first cache, I had reissued it and the new version was placed in a cache just four weeks previously. Guess I’ll just let both of them travel until one goes missing again.

So..., we've got some new cachers a few miles south of me. 46 finds and putting out new caches left and right. No problem there. I'm up for new caches in the area. I find it interesting though that they place their caches as close as possible to caches owned by experienced and well known cachers.

Oh, they've also been STF on a couple of <_< their own caches... Interesting.

Was "asked" if I'd get a cache with ten favorites today.

- The one who asked (I hope subconciously) put out a "free rhubarb" sign.

Was almost a full time job today thinning it all out/doling by pie weight.

Anything free I guess.

Of course it's raining the next couple of days...

how do you log a favorite - it says you are supposed to be able after you log that you visited. My computer doesn't change any of the options just give statistics, who favorited it and the questionmark. can you help - am am referring to others want to favorite one of my caches or me favoriting one of theirs.

how do you log a favorite - it says you are supposed to be able after you log that you visited. My computer doesn't change any of the options just give statistics, who favorited it and the questionmark. can you help - am am referring to others want to favorite one of my caches or me favoriting one of theirs.

Go to the cache page. At the top you can see where it says the number of favorites for the cache. That is a drop down menu. Click on it and it should say at the top of the menu, "Add to your favorites". Click that, and it will add the favorite.

Go to the cache page. At the top you can see where it says the number of favorites for the cache. That is a drop down menu. Click on it and it should say at the top of the menu, "Add to your favorites". Click that, and it will add the favorite.

When logging via the web, there is also a checkbox below where you write your log. That is the most convenient spot to do it, but if you forget, then you can go back to the cache page and do it as Ambrosia suggests.

When logging via the web, there is also a checkbox below where you write your log. That is the most convenient spot to do it, but if you forget, then you can go back to the cache page and do it as Ambrosia suggests.

That would be more convenient, wouldn't it? :laughing: I usually award favorites later, so I don't usually think about it when I'm logging the cache.

That would be more convenient, wouldn't it? :laughing: I usually award favorites later, so I don't usually think about it when I'm logging the cache.

Stick around, kid. We'll teach you all about this geocaching thing.:lol:

I have been away from the forums for a couple of months, and now that I'm back, I'm absolutely delighted to see that the "speaking thread" is alive and well. It's always good to speak.

Long live the speaking thread! :antenna:

And what about those naysayers near the beginning spewing comments like "IBTL", and "locked-ville"? :P

Oh, anyone up for a boat/kayak/canoe ride or longggggg swim? Our plans are to hide another cache out in the middle of Rayburn next week. :)

Hmm, this is discouraging....

Elite not accepting new folks. Are you kidding. Have you seen the riff raff that this groups consists of. Go to one mega event and reevaluate your impression.

And since reviewers have been known to refer to themselves as "dogs" you have to assume some are "mutts"

It can't be like the crowd I saw at a waterpark, can it? No, i'm *sure* it's not.

Think i'll stick to smaller events, unless someone has a different experience.

Hmm, this is discouraging....

Elite not accepting new folks. Are you kidding. Have you seen the riff raff that this groups consists of. Go to one mega event and reevaluate your impression.

And since reviewers have been known to refer to themselves as "dogs" you have to assume some are "mutts"

It can't be like the crowd I saw at a waterpark, can it? No, i'm *sure* it's not.

Think i'll stick to smaller events, unless someone has a different experience.

You tend to see a lot more tattoos in the crowd at a water park than at a geocaching event.

Found our first 5/5 cache today in our lovely new canoe!

I'm more of a kayak person than a canoe person. I've definitely found some "5" terrains in it, but not a true "5" difficulty, yet. I went down Bear Creek in Alabama today in it. It's a shame that there wasn't a single geocache along the way. It's too far away for me to maintain one, so I didn't place any. I sure had fun, though!

06800d90-4041-4fae-8cde-73fdc02e6c27.jpg

Found our first 5/5 cache today in our lovely new canoe!

I'm more of a kayak person than a canoe person. I've definitely found some "5" terrains in it, but not a true "5" difficulty, yet. I went down Bear Creek in Alabama today in it. It's a shame that there wasn't a single geocache along the way. It's too far away for me to maintain one, so I didn't place any. I sure had fun, though!

06800d90-4041-4fae-8cde-73fdc02e6c27.jpg

Nice!!! :D

Found my first traveling cache today! Yay! Neat!

It was nearby, then left, then returned - very close to two of my caches. Fortunately I heard about it and found it.

I can see how things might get crazy if there were a lot of them, but I'm glad that the few that exist are still out there. A bit of extra spice for the sport.

Found my first traveling cache today! Yay! Neat!

It was nearby, then left, then returned - very close to two of my caches. Fortunately I heard about it and found it.

I can see how things might get crazy if there were a lot of them, but I'm glad that the few that exist are still out there. A bit of extra spice for the sport.

I remember our first one in Germany. It took a while for it to settle down in one place long enough to log the find.

Thankfully, the coordinates never changed for the puzzle cache (just for the associated travel bug), so it never wreaked havoc with our stats.