speaking thread

Well, i've fallen into a slump over the past few weeks. I had attended an event, found the cache right outside on some date of November, and that was my last cache I had found until yesterday. I was really caught up in school. Oh, well. At least my ninety ninth was a little free library cache and had a Stephen Hawking book I had been on the lookout for.

There, I have spoken

And did you figure out what to do for 100? I might want some pig points!

In fact, I have not! *side note to those people who didn't believe pig points would catch one: IT'S GOING TO BE THE NEXT BITCOIN

Ok. I pick for you:

GC3710 The Grassy Knoll

Virtuals are always a cool choice.

I have actually been meaning to go down there! That was a great choice! I will plan to go there soon.

(Auto): Congratulations! You have been awarded "88" Pig Points!

Cool! I wonder what I can buy with pig points? Bacon?

(Edited because I messed up the quoting things)

Edited by fuzziebear3

Well, i've fallen into a slump over the past few weeks. I had attended an event, found the cache right outside on some date of November, and that was my last cache I had found until yesterday. I was really caught up in school. Oh, well. At least my ninety ninth was a little free library cache and had a Stephen Hawking book I had been on the lookout for.

There, I have spoken

And did you figure out what to do for 100? I might want some pig points!

In fact, I have not! *side note to those people who didn't believe pig points would catch one: IT'S GOING TO BE THE NEXT BITCOIN

Ok. I pick for you:

GC3710 The Grassy Knoll

Virtuals are always a cool choice.

I have actually been meaning to go down there! That was a great choice! I will plan to go there soon.

(Auto): Congratulations! You have been awarded "88" Pig Points!

Cool! I wonder what I can buy with pig points? Bacon?

(Edited because I messed up the quoting things)

fourteen quadrillion earns you a virtual pat on the back, an amazing deal! :grin:

OK say I put out a small series of caches (let's say 8) and I actually place them all on one day. Then if I have them all published at once, maybe one cacher (who happens to have that day--or night--off from work) runs out and gets FTF on all of them. But if I wait until one is found before having another published, maybe 8 different cachers get to have a chance for one FTF. I figure one way I'll have one happy person or the other way 1 person mad at me and the other 7 happy. These will involve driving from about 10 miles up to about 20 miles each way.

I like having those 8 caches spread around by publishing on different days. It creates more excitement for more people for a longer time. You can be the talk of the community for two weeks or more that way. B)

One CO published a related series of 6 around here. Blockbuster medium terrain caches, minimum one hour round trip hike in dense, hilly forest. They were published over a one-week period, and they would have been ever better over a 2-week period.

Well, I did this--I put out 6 new caches and submitted them one at a time over about 2 weeks; even though I submitted them at varying times of the day/night, all were published in the early evening, about 6-7 pm. One person (rather one family) was FTF on all 6 of them, finding them all within an hour or so of publication--and all in the dark. I have 5 more ready to go and am waiting for the snow to melt--hope to get them out within a week or two--if it doesn't snow again.

OK say I put out a small series of caches (let's say 8) and I actually place them all on one day. Then if I have them all published at once, maybe one cacher (who happens to have that day--or night--off from work) runs out and gets FTF on all of them. But if I wait until one is found before having another published, maybe 8 different cachers get to have a chance for one FTF. I figure one way I'll have one happy person or the other way 1 person mad at me and the other 7 happy. These will involve driving from about 10 miles up to about 20 miles each way.

I like having those 8 caches spread around by publishing on different days. It creates more excitement for more people for a longer time. You can be the talk of the community for two weeks or more that way. B)

One CO published a related series of 6 around here. Blockbuster medium terrain caches, minimum one hour round trip hike in dense, hilly forest. They were published over a one-week period, and they would have been ever better over a 2-week period.

Well, I did this--I put out 6 new caches and submitted them one at a time over about 2 weeks; even though I submitted them at varying times of the day/night, all were published in the early evening, about 6-7 pm. One person (rather one family) was FTF on all 6 of them, finding them all within an hour or so of publication--and all in the dark. I have 5 more ready to go and am waiting for the snow to melt--hope to get them out within a week or two--if it doesn't snow again.

This is a great idea! When my cache series is completed, I'll submit them for publication one at a time.

This is a great idea! When my cache series is completed, I'll submit them for publication one at a time.

Absolutely - it's more fun for everyone, including you as CO. You might even mention to your reviewer that you are submitting them separately so as to make the series more interesting for the community (so as to prevent the situation previously mentioned).

Time to bump the speaking thread. How are all things geocaching?

I placed 4 new caches yesterday and submitted one of them, which was published promptly and hasn't been logged yet. It is far enough out of town that it probably is outside most local cachers' notification areas. Will be interesting to see if it is a local or a traveler that gets to it first.

Time to bump the speaking thread. How are all things geocaching?

I placed 4 new caches yesterday and submitted one of them, which was published promptly and hasn't been logged yet. It is far enough out of town that it probably is outside most local cachers' notification areas. Will be interesting to see if it is a local or a traveler that gets to it first.

Is it snowy there? We just had got a dump of snow and I'm tempted to get out on snowshoes and find a few. I don't cache much during the winter.

Is it snowy there? We just had got a dump of snow and I'm tempted to get out on snowshoes and find a few. I don't cache much during the winter.

No snow right now. What we had has melted and made the dirt roads a bit too muddy for me to drive down to place one of the caches I was going to.

Does somebody think it's spring? We had a flock of robins in our front yard this morning.

No snow right now. What we had has melted and made the dirt roads a bit too muddy for me to drive down to place one of the caches I was going to.

Does somebody think it's spring? We had a flock of robins in our front yard this morning.

I'll be lucky if I see any signs of Spring before the middle of March. When the groundhog gives us six more weeks, that IS an early Spring. :(

On the plus side, the snow and ice makes it easier to get to caches in areas that are swampy in the summer.

I haven't been caching much so I let my premium membership lapse. Can't think of any reason to renew it right now.

Very humorous because I own alot of PMO caches and now I can't see them on the map. :laughing:

Can you access the cache pages for your PMO caches, to edit them, read logs, etc?

I haven't been caching much so I let my premium membership lapse. Can't think of any reason to renew it right now.

Very humorous because I own alot of PMO caches and now I can't see them on the map. :laughing:

Can you access the cache pages for your PMO caches, to edit them, read logs, etc?

Weirdly, yes. I would have thought if my PM lapsed, all my caches would automatically lose the PMO.

Anyway, I lasted 1 day and realized I wouldn't be allowed to post in Off Topic so I caved and renewed.

Weirdly, yes. I would have thought if my PM lapsed, all my caches would automatically lose the PMO.

Anyway, I lasted 1 day and realized I wouldn't be allowed to post in Off Topic so I caved and renewed.

The drama and entertainment are worth $30/year. ;)

Not true, but you probably would have missed it anyway. :)

What's "not true"? That a non-PM can't post in OT?

I thought the same once, telling a new person in "Getting Started" that if he wanted to know if his PM was working, look to see if you can see OT.

A Mod explained that it doesn't always work that way.

Hi! :anitongue: We are back addicted again after a wee break. Forgot how much we liked this stuff. If only we could find room to place a cache or two in our area :sad:

No worries! Keep your eyes peeled, and a place or idea for a sneaky hide might come to mind or into view.

I end up caching in spurts--fits and starts. Same goes for hiding caches, and waiting for a space that I want to open up.

Hi! :anitongue: We are back addicted again after a wee break. Forgot how much we liked this stuff. If only we could find room to place a cache or two in our area :sad:

No worries! Keep your eyes peeled, and a place or idea for a sneaky hide might come to mind or into view.

I end up caching in spurts--fits and starts. Same goes for hiding caches, and waiting for a space that I want to open up.

Thank you! We just spent a lovely Sunday down in Wa state finding and not finding :huh: some wonderful caches. Hope everyone's weekend was as great as ours was.

Went to the doctor today and she told me I must do at least 1/2 hour of exercise each day.

Came home and told Mr Incredible that the doctor said I must go geocaching at least 1/2 hour each day.

Doctor's orders and who am I to argue! :D

Your Doctor is great! After a month of 1/2 hour a day, maybe she will (if given a bottle of wine) increase that to an hour? Mr Incredible doesn't stand a chance against two women! :D

I placed a geocache under a bridge a few days ago. Now I'm waiting for the reviewer to publish it

I thought caches on bridges were a no-no? :unsure:

It depends on the bridge. If it's one on a major road or a very notable one (read: high-value target, e.g. Brooklyn Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge, etc.), then there'd be a problem. However, if it's just a run-of-the-mill bridge on a rural road, or one on a hiking trail in the woods, then I don't think there's a problem. I've found many in such places.