speaking thread

Is this the "spanking thread"? Oh that's right, that's in Off Topic.

I'm surprised we haven't seen this yet:

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHATS THE 1,500,000TH CACHE <_< <_< <_< <_< <_< <_< <_<

IF YOU KNOW COULD YOU PLEASE PUT A LINK ?

[/Quote]

Cache 1,000,000 generated hoopla. Which one was #1.5 mil.? (We want the real one, not a cherry-picked one for the media.)

Its raining. I want to go geocaching, but I don't want to get rained on. What to do?

Pray. If that doesn't work, put on some raingear.

I go anyway. My best days have been in down pouring rain [;)]

I don't mind caching regardless of the weather. My daughter, not so much.

I think she's giving me the finger:

70293193-f720-4c1b-b9bb-c6afb3dda3bd.jpg

Ha! That could be my 11 y.o. daughter! She has the same look on her face that mine gets. "I'm not puttin' up with any more of yer shenanigans dad!" Mine will at least adventure out with me. The older brother sulks in the car... B)

Its raining. I want to go geocaching, but I don't want to get rained on. What to do?

Pray. If that doesn't work, put on some raingear.

I go anyway. My best days have been in down pouring rain [;)]

I don't mind caching regardless of the weather. My daughter, not so much.

I think she's giving me the finger:

70293193-f720-4c1b-b9bb-c6afb3dda3bd.jpg

I think she's saying, "Dad, you're Number 1" :laughing:

I'm working on my first puzzle. What about you guys?

I only own one puzzle, and I'm about to archive it and replace it with a traditional.

I'm not a big fan of mystery/puzzles myself, but I placed this one to get back at the local mystery/puzzle fans. It's been out for many years and has more than served it's purpose. I want more people to come and enjoy the cool garden that the cache is in, so I'm changing it to a regular cache.

In fact, I'll probably replace it tonight, before worse weather sets in. This way, people can enjoy the ornamental grasses in the garden.

I'm working on my first puzzle. What about you guys?

I only own one puzzle, and I'm about to archive it and replace it with a traditional.

I'm not a big fan of mystery/puzzles myself, but I placed this one to get back at the local mystery/puzzle fans. It's been out for many years and has more than served it's purpose. I want more people to come and enjoy the cool garden that the cache is in, so I'm changing it to a regular cache.

In fact, I'll probably replace it tonight, before worse weather sets in. This way, people can enjoy the ornamental grasses in the garden.

Haha! That's really great that you're also going to replace it for other cachers. Edited by KaRue

We just got our 150th cache published, an earthcache at Chickasaw National Recreation Area. Somehow we managed to make it about an artesian well without even mentioning magnitude. :anibad:

And we got the National Park Service on board in less than two weeks!

Now if only someone would log it...

I thought that the hobby was to go out and find Geocaches."

I thought the hobby was to overcome any challenges - mental or physical, at any scale - in order to locate containers that have been hidden from view at GPS coordinates, to be rewarded with the feeling of success of finding geocaches.

Otherwise, may as well stop camouflaging those containers.

Forget about covering them with bark or leaves in the forest too. Hiding them from view just makes them harder to find. After all, we want people to find them right? (hey someone should go and post NA on all the caches that have one or more DNF logs)

dry.gif

I thought the hobby was to overcome any challenges - mental or physical, at any scale - in order to locate containers that have been hidden from view at GPS coordinates, to be rewarded with the feeling of success of finding geocaches.

Forget about covering them with bark or leaves in the forest too. Hiding them from view just makes them harder to find. After all, we want people to find them right? (hey someone should go and post NA on all the caches that have one or more DNF logs)

dry.gif

I thought it was about throwing film cans out the window of my car every 500 or 600 feet.

dry.gif

I thought it was about throwing film cans out the window of my car every 500 or 600 feet.

Or rehiding pre-existing caches.

What do you think of this??

Needs Archived

11/25/2014

Way too close to the road. Move or archive

If safety is an issue, wouldn't many caches over T3.5 be archived? The post was made by a veteran after several finds, including by me.

If it looks unsafe, avoid it. You have the cache write-up, the map, the satellite image, and the visual. It's not like there is hidden danger.

Needs Archived

11/25/2014

If safety is an issue, wouldn't many caches over T3.5 be archived? The post was made by a veteran after several finds, including by me.

If it looks unsafe, avoid it. You have the cache write-up, the map, the satellite image, and the visual. It's not like there is hidden danger.

Is it possible the veteran cacher believes they are being a good citizen by looking out for the safety of others?

Is it possible that those finding this cache might think that its proximity to the road is normal and that it's a good idea to hide caches that way - or perhaps just a little closer to the road - and the next one a little closer - and so on?

Is it possible that it's not just the safety of cachers that needs to be taken into consideration - but the safey of motorists who might be distracted by the unexpected presence of pedestrians in an an unlikely location next to a busy, fast road?

Of course you could just look out for number one, claim your smiley and to heck with what might happen. Some people think differently.

Needs Archived

11/25/2014

Is it possible the veteran cacher believes they are being a good citizen by looking out for the safety of others?

Is it possible that those finding this cache might think that its proximity to the road is normal and that it's a good idea to hide caches that way - or perhaps just a little closer to the road - and the next one a little closer - and so on?

Is it possible that it's not just the safety of cachers that needs to be taken into consideration - but the safey of motorists who might be distracted by the unexpected presence of pedestrians in an an unlikely location next to a busy, fast road?

Of course you could just look out for number one, claim your smiley and to heck with what might happen. Some people think differently.

If the NA was posted to get the reviewers' attention, then it was for naught.

The reviewers are not the safety police

Needs Archived

11/25/2014

If the NA was posted to get the reviewers' attention, then it was for naught.

The reviewers are not the safety police

I'm not questioning the poster's good intentions. The post surprised me because:

(1) there are many more equally "dangerous" caches near roads;

(2) at 9,000+ finds, the poster has probably seen many such "dangerous" caches;

(3) any competent person could assess the safety issues involved; &

(4) my understanding was also that GS does not evaluate safety (in part because that is an impossible line to draw and people are free to make there own decisions).

By the way, as a low-numbers cacher, I didn't need the find. I got the find because I saw no safety issue whatsover. The high numbers cacher got his smiley, *then* posted n/a.

The better action IMO would have been to say "be very careful of traffic" in the log, not log the find and then post n/a.

The high numbers cacher got his smiley, *then* posted n/a.

The better action IMO would have been to say "be very careful of traffic" in the log, not log the find and then post n/a.

So his appraisal of the cache would have been more valid had he not logged a find?

You'd be more happy to accept his viewpoint on a cache he hadn't actually found?

Have to admit that sounds back-to-front to me.

Hi - I haven't actually found your geocache but wherever it is, it's in a dangerous location and should be moved or archived

:huh:

So his appraisal of the cache would have been more valid had he not logged a find?

You'd be more happy to accept his viewpoint on a cache he hadn't actually found?

Hi - I haven't actually found your geocache but wherever it is, it's in a dangerous location and should be moved or archived

Sorry, I wrote that poorly. What I meant was that his second log, the n/a log, was out of line. The cacher safety concern should have been put in the found log (if anywhere).

By the way, the cache is at a utility pole. The layout is like an average street with utility poles. If this cache should be archived, then so should 100,000+ other caches at utility poles and guardrails. (Not to mention all those dangerous 5/5 caches that can lure unsuspecting cachers into unnecessary danger. And while we're at it, let's ban all future climbing of Mt. Everest - want the experience? - go to an IMAX theater! Avoid danger - other than slipping on spilled soda - & save $75,000 in costs!)

:ph34r:;)

Needs Archived

11/25/2014

I think it's stupid, and the reviewer will likely also think it is stupid.

What I meant was that his second log, the n/a log, was out of line. The cacher safety concern should have been put in the found log (if anywhere).

I disagree.

The N/A log is more likely achieve the desired objective of quickly drawing the attention of the cachers the 'warning' is intended for than it would if it were buried in some generic found log - especially if there are lots of found logs on that cache.

If I wanted to draw attention to something I was concerned about I would mention it in my log AND in a N/M or N/A log.

By the way, the cache is at a utility pole. The layout is like an average street with utility poles. If this cache should be archived, then so should 100,000+ other caches at utility poles and guardrails. (Not to mention all those dangerous 5/5 caches that can lure unsuspecting cachers into unnecessary danger. And while we're at it, let's ban all future climbing of Mt. Everest - want the experience? - go to an IMAX theater! Avoid danger - other than slipping on spilled soda - & save $75,000 in costs!)

Fair enough - let's not get excited :P

I wasn't responding to the question of whether or not this particular cache deserved the N/A or not.

What I meant was that his second log, the n/a log, was out of line. The cacher safety concern should have been put in the found log (if anywhere).

I disagree.

The N/A log is more likely achieve the desired objective of quickly drawing the attention of the cachers the 'warning' is intended for than it would if it were buried in some generic found log - especially if there are lots of found logs on that cache.

If I wanted to draw attention to something I was concerned about I would mention it in my log AND in a N/M or N/A log.

Fair enough - let's not get excited :P

I wasn't responding to the question of whether or not this particular cache deserved the N/A or not.

Ok. B) Maybe i'll watch football & get today's dose of danger vicariously. :P

OK say I put out a small series of caches (let's say 8) and I actually place them all on one day. Then if I have them all published at once, maybe one cacher (who happens to have that day--or night--off from work) runs out and gets FTF on all of them. But if I wait until one is found before having another published, maybe 8 different cachers get to have a chance for one FTF. I figure one way I'll have one happy person or the other way 1 person mad at me and the other 7 happy. These will involve driving from about 10 miles up to about 20 miles each way.

I like having those 8 caches spread around by publishing on different days. It creates more excitement for more people for a longer time. You can be the talk of the community for two weeks or more that way. B)

One CO published a related series of 6 around here. Blockbuster medium terrain caches, minimum one hour round trip hike in dense, hilly forest. They were published over a one-week period, and they would have been ever better over a 2-week period.

Ok. B) Maybe i'll watch football & get today's dose of danger vicariously. :P

Don't sit too close to the TV though - it's bad for your eyes B)

Well, after the safety of home I cheated death the next day while caching on steep, rocky terrain. Both the cache listing and the state forest sign mention deaths, generally caused by people walking on wet rocks near waterfalls (perhaps with some alcohol mixed in). The cache listing says:

... What should never be is that alot of people have died here because they have to get to close to the edge and they go over the falls on to the rocks below and they are not user frendly at all.

Stay back from the edge on the dry rocks and you'll be fine.

I'll speak out (this is the speaking thread, right? And what happened to that OP who was probably like 10 years old? :lol:)

He just commented on July 10th, and I look forward to him speaking again, as thus has solved all problems.

The rest of your post has caused me to think, reconsider perhaps.

What would be your stance on a "micro" placed by CO, CO died and family archived it. A year later CO2 places a micro very near (200 ft or less).

Would you remove the original micro? It could generate logs of bad coords/NM/NA on the

There was an archived geocache Tupperware box about thirty feet away from mine. I removed it.

crap I screwed up quotes

Now, if he would take the advice given and look for some lower difficulty caches. D3.5 is going to be tough for most new cachers, heck I have trouble with them sometimes. ☺

After looking at the listing for the cache he recently placed I could see a large park nearby that had 10 or so caches in it, many with lower D ratings and quite few listed as small or regular. It looked like a nice place to spend a day geocaching instead of hanging around playgrounds. Then there is also a mid size numbers trail a mile or so away if were so inclined.

The good news is that he seems to have located someone to go caching with--at least once. :unsure:

WHO IS HE?!?!?!??! It's killing me.

Well, i've fallen into a slump over the past few weeks. I had attended an event, found the cache right outside on some date of November, and that was my last cache I had found until yesterday. I was really caught up in school. Oh, well. At least my ninety ninth was a little free library cache and had a Stephen Hawking book I had been on the lookout for.

There, I have spoken

Well, i've fallen into a slump over the past few weeks. I had attended an event, found the cache right outside on some date of November, and that was my last cache I had found until yesterday. I was really caught up in school. Oh, well. At least my ninety ninth was a little free library cache and had a Stephen Hawking book I had been on the lookout for.

There, I have spoken

And did you figure out what to do for 100? I might want some pig points!

There, I have spoken

In fact, I have not! *side note to those people who didn't believe pig points would catch one: IT'S GOING TO BE THE NEXT BITCOIN

There, I have spoken

In fact, I have not! *side note to those people who didn't believe pig points would catch one: IT'S GOING TO BE THE NEXT BITCOIN

Ok. I pick for you:

GC3710 The Grassy Knoll

Virtuals are always a cool choice.

There, I have spoken

Ok. I pick for you:

GC3710 The Grassy Knoll

Virtuals are always a cool choice.

I have actually been meaning to go down there! That was a great choice! I will plan to go there soon.

(Auto): Congratulations! You have been awarded "88" Pig Points!