speaking thread

A creative cache hidden in a Home Depot parking lot is still a cache hidden in a Home Depot parking lot.

Sure, I prefer Lowes also. And it sounds vaguely elitist (the buzzword of the month). Like maybe the parking lot for Saks is better.

But seriously, there is a time for burgers and a time for banquets. I wouldn't give up either.

And feel free free to add that golden nugget to the bottom of your posts!

Later I ran into "fellow cachers" which was weird and awkward.

How was it weird and awkward? We want *details*, baby, *details*. :drama:

+2

Me interacting with people is usually weird and awkward, so there is always that. On top of this I was standing in Some Other Guy's driveway (to get a chirp/beacon to locate a cache) looking a little lost. These two people (and one dog) come along and ask "are you a geocacher?" When I told them I was they asked "are you (the CO)?" which answered the question for me that THEY were not the CO's.

So then the-he-of-the-group asked my caching name, which I told him. I did not expect recognition. Generally a name is not "known" around here unless you have thousands of finds. He asked me to repeat it.

Me: eta(abruptly cut off by interruption)

Him: eta...?

Me: etarace: E-T-A (abruptly cut off again)

Him: E-T-A...?

Me: so did you both already find the other cache that is right by here?

phew. It actually went on for a couple more rounds like that. But you get the picture. Why was he repeating me while I was still trying to speak?

I showed them where the nearby cache was (don't shoot, it's literally right in the open, painted bright green, and bolted to the guy's house). It has a lock on it. Naturally, they ask me for the combination. Sorry, it was months ago that I did this cache. I didn't memorize the combination. I told them the title of the cache and that the combination was listed on the cache page. I went to grab my phone from my car to look it up, but then the man started to get it on his phone. He read the combination while for some reason I was the one to manipulate the lock.

Not that I mind helping at all... but... that's a bit weird. Does it show my super-genius abilities that I was able to read the combination and then manipulate the lock by myself when I originally got this cache? And where did the woman go? She is the only one who has yet to find this cache.

Then they say to me "so I guess we'll be seeing you at the next one?" And I told them some excuse about having to stop at the grocery store. This was not a lie, and had been my next-planned-stop before I ran into them. But it probably did kind of come off sounding like "no, I don't want to see you ever again."

We shook hands and told each other how nice it was meeting one another. I was being honest. As weird and awkward as that was, it was actually one of the more pleasant human interactions I have had in a very long time.

So, there's the details. Fairly boring and sort of confusing. I never figured out who they were until they finally logged the cache online.

We shook hands and told each other how nice it was meeting one another. I was being honest. As weird and awkward as that was, it was actually one of the more pleasant human interactions I have had in a very long time.

So, there's the details. Fairly boring and sort of confusing. I never figured out who they were until they finally logged the cache online.

I've ran into people that, who are not really good listeners and just interrupt. Humans are interesting creatures, at least you can give us that. If you're ever in my area, please look me up. I enjoy the company of interesting people.

Yeah, I heard a story today about a groundhog that had burrowed into a grave of someone buried in 1776, and brought part of their skull and facial bones to the surface. The finders called the police who advised them to kick the body parts back down in the hole and contact the historical society.

This story comes from the Civil War, but is quite related.

Page 5 of this issue of Grave Happenings talks about groundhogs.

There is a story like this one every year.

I've ran into people that, who are not really good listeners and just interrupt. Humans are interesting creatures, at least you can give us that. If you're ever in my area, please look me up. I enjoy the company of interesting people.

I will do that. Of course I will most likely be sweaty, have twigs in my hair, and a dog and husband in my Jeep. You seem like you'll be okay with that.

A creative cache hidden in a Home Depot parking lot is still a cache hidden in a Home Depot parking lot.

Or you could increase your life expectancy and look at it from the glass-half-full-approach:

A creative cache hidden in a Home Depot parking lot is still a creative cache.

:P

My sentiments exactly! I'm sure briansnat & k13 (edit: pretty certain of the former but apparently wrong about the latter) will take note - the former being the speaker of the Home Depot quote, & the latter being the one who was so wowed by the quote as to use it at the bottom of each post.

Glass-half-full is definitely my approach. My view? There is a time for burgers and a time for banquets.

Edited by wmpastor

Glass-half-full is definitely my approach. My view? There is a time for burgers and a time for banquets.

I agree. That's a great quote and I'm sure we will see alot of that on the forum.

I went out the other night and got alot of joy out of a film canister hidden under a concrete barrier. They don't all have to be amazing to be enjoyable.

Why has everyone stopped speaking?

Oh darn. When I saw that this thread had been bumped, I thought someone was speaking.

OK I'll speak.

I'm having a picnic Event on Saturday for the 7 souvenirs of August. I didn't want to have to drive 30-40 miles out of town for my Event Souvenir so I decided to do something about it.

Why has everyone stopped speaking?

Oh darn. When I saw that this thread had been bumped, I thought someone was speaking.

OK I'll speak.

I'm having a picnic Event on Saturday for the 7 souvenirs of August. I didn't want to have to drive 30-40 miles out of town for my Event Souvenir so I decided to do something about it.

Awesome!

Our monthly get together last night was about three times as big as usual, with lots of new faces. I suspect the souvenir has something to do with it. :D

I will be hosting an event mainly to help out people who want the "Socializer" badge. It's my first event so I am going a little overboard in preparation (decorations and little freebees and etc.) ... especially considering it's for a 15 minute event.

I love your write-up for this event.

Ha! Thank you so much. My "note to Reviewer" on this event was "my dog has a bee costume and it is so cute." My dog is 100 lbs, which somehow makes it even more cute. Tiny dogs in costumes have been done.

I am actually kind of shocked that I am getting more than like five people signing up as "will attend" on this! How thrilling!

Ha! Thank you so much. My "note to Reviewer" on this event was "my dog has a bee costume and it is so cute." My dog is 100 lbs, which somehow makes it even more cute. Tiny dogs in costumes have been done.

I am actually kind of shocked that I am getting more than like five people signing up as "will attend" on this! How thrilling!

Looks like your event was a success, good turnout and favorable comments. Mine went well too; I kept it very simple but everyone seemed to have a good time just chatting. I was able to spend some time with a new person and show them how to log TB drops. It was supposed to be over at 2:00, but we finally left at 3:00.

I found 70 caches today.

I *still* can't figure out how finding little plastic containers and writing your name on a slip of paper can be so much fun, but it is. :D

Goodness, that's about how many I've found all year! :laughing:

That's more than I've found in the last two years.

I didn't get the socializer or the siteseer souvenirs. I was traveling most of the month (just got back from Disneyworld last night) and only had 1 find locally. There were two events held locally the last day of the month but I was in Florida at the time. There was an event that I could have attended while in Florida but it was on Sept. 1. I thought about hosting an event while in Costa Rica but I had only one day free during the six days I was there and spent with with a couple of Italian women (colleagues from FAO in Rome) exploring volcanos and waterfalls. If I could have found a reasonable opportunity to get the Event souvenir I might have driven out of my way to grab a four stage multi in San Jose, Costa Rica. I just hide the August souvenirs that I did get from my public profile page.

I've been caching for a few years now (my account will hit its 10th anniversary in 2 weeks) but I just got a Samsung Tablet and downloaded the Android Free Intro App and set up an account on it just to see what it was like. The first thing I noticed was that not only is an email confirmation not required, it is not even suggested. I didn't try to set up the account without entering anything in the email box or entering something that didn't even look like an email address, but I did use a totally bogus email address.

Gee, doesn't anybody want to speak anymore?

I've been taking advantage of the nice early fall weather to do maintenance runs on my series of caches along the local bike trails. I'm only getting 5-6 miles of bike riding, but hey, that's better than just sitting at home at the computer, not speaking.

I've heard of talking dogs and talking horses (a la Mr. Ed), but speaking thread? What if it got woven into a shirt? Might give a new meaning to the term "loud clothing". "Hey! Can you shut that shirt up?!?"

"Sorry. I can't. It's the speaking thread!"

"I can't find the blasted cache. My pants are saying to look over there, my shirt is saying to look around here; and I won't even tell you what my underwear is saying!

Darn speaking thread."

Hi. Just got here; sorry I'm late.

I am SO behind on my logging. I just have to be in the right mood to write, and sometimes it takes days to get there. So I waste time on all sorts of other stuff, even hanging out on the forum when it's a nice day outside. (Hmm, today's a nice day; maybe I should really add to that backlog... I was going to do that today, wasn't I?)

Maybe tonight I'll open that really nice bottle of creative juice, sit down, and finish the tales.