speaking thread

My husband found a cache with me today, that always makes it a special day for me.

Also, we went out and got breakfast. I know a lot of people enjoy "going out to breakfast" as the number one restaurant meal. I am in the opposite camp. Since I do actually cook, most breakfast foods seem to me to be quick, easy and inexpensive. Why anyone would make a point of going "out" to breakfast is silly to me.

But today I did. I got eggs over medium, hashbrowns, and toast. I am perfectly capable of making these things. I own chickens, so I have eggs. Nevertheless it was really good, and my husband had pancakes with his breakfast and let me have some.

Yeah, you can make it yourself, but it's much easier to have someone else do it for you. :D

And there's something to be said for getting the day moving by getting out of the house, especially on weekends.

*Exactly*

By eating out, you are not only providing someone with a job so they can feed their family, but you are kick-starting your productivity for the day.

I have big caching plans for this weekend! Heading to my first event friday night and on saturday I'm hitting up a number of caches at a local river greenway. Big weekend, indeed!

Anyone else got anything cool coming up?

Edited by Trotter17

I am putting this comment in this thread to keep it out of certain other threads--it will become apparent what I'm referring to. In regard to a person who has been posting in several threads and has taken a lot of flak for not following the advice that has been given, I'm thinking that we might be dealing with an individual whose chronological age makes him an adult but whose mental age is considerably less than adult level. I think that perhaps we should be kinder, and yes I've been one of the worst offenders and I do feel sorry about that now. I think he probably needs someone who will work with him in person, one on one, to teach him such things as how to use his GPSr--and overlook the fact that he insists on calling it his "toy." I think that he probably has a very hard time understanding what he reads and that we will probably never really get through to him via written words.

I found my first two physical caches in July today. That's pretty lame, I've found less than 200 caches each of the last 3 years, and am well on a pace to find less than 200 this year for a 4th. Just don't tell NTHacker66, because he likes to tell people that everyone who hangs out in this forum doesn't Geocache. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I am putting this comment in this thread to keep it out of certain other threads--it will become apparent what I'm referring to. In regard to a person who has been posting in several threads and has taken a lot of flak for not following the advice that has been given, I'm thinking that we might be dealing with an individual whose chronological age makes him an adult but whose mental age is considerably less than adult level. I think that perhaps we should be kinder, and yes I've been one of the worst offenders and I do feel sorry about that now. I think he probably needs someone who will work with him in person, one on one, to teach him such things as how to use his GPSr--and overlook the fact that he insists on calling it his "toy." I think that he probably has a very hard time understanding what he reads and that we will probably never really get through to him via written words.

As his avatar, he chose the symbol for Anonymous. I'm sticking with troll...

I suppose there is always the possibility that he is legit. One thing for sure, it is entertaining.

I couldn't take it any more so I finally went out yesterday and got my fix. I feel whole again. :P

The longest I've gone so far is 17 days, when I was on a training exercise in Grafenwoehr, Germany, and not allowed to leave post. One of my goals is never to go that long again.

I couldn't take it any more so I finally went out yesterday and got my fix. I feel whole again. :P

The longest I've gone so far is 17 days, when I was on a training exercise in Grafenwoehr, Germany, and not allowed to leave post. One of my goals is never to go that long again.

I've been 438 days without a find before. See? I'm not addicted. I can quit any time I want.

There once was a poster named anonymous many years ago. He was very popular until he posted a pic which showed him to be a young kid. After that he disappeared, but I do know that he was excellent with computers...

I also didn't find anything in 2003 because I dropped my garmin e-map off of a cliff face while rappelling. It was the exact spot where the scene in Deliverance was filmed of the guy holding a shotgun who was impaled with an arrow on the top of a cliff after Drew was shot. Today, the area by rainbow falls, is blocked off for climbing by the Talluah gorge state park system, although there is still a 1965 thunderbird still resting vertically on the other side of the gorge in the woods.

17 days, ouch! I would have been curled up in a fetal position, sucking my thumb.

I *did* have a 20 day slump recently, but only because I was planning 2 geocaching events. So basically not a slump at all, even though Groundspeak counted it as one. :unsure:

I was drawing the same conclusion today & lightened my tone and made more advice comments about meeting local cachers. I think maybe his wish to exchange personal messages was to confide something about personal problems - he hinted at that.

And of course there are some smart people who are also very technologically challenged.

He does have some wit though - when I asked if he'd cross a field diagonally or around the edges, he said of course around the sides because who wants to slog through a cornfield?!

There once was a poster named anonymous many years ago. He was very popular until he posted a pic which showed him to be a young kid. After that he disappeared, but I do know that he was excellent with computers...

I wonder what he's up to. He was something like 16 or 17 when he stopped posting, I think. We had him over to our house one time so that he could play on our zipline.

I'm still at 21 days longest drought, and that was last Spring. Before that, it stood at 14 days for years, and when that was the current longest drought, and I knew the dates (I've since forgotten them), I could trace that back to my car being in the shop for two weeks with a blown head gasket! I borrowed a car, but didn't use it for any leisure activities. Still 21 days is pretty darn good for someone who joined in 2003, I'd have to say. :)

P.S. Take that, NTHacker. :ph34r:

I suppose there is always the possibility that he is legit. One thing for sure, it is entertaining.

I was back and forth on this, but I really think he's having a tough time.

I don't think even the most trollish troll would (or could) take it this far! "Medoug" drew a diagram and that seemed to help immensely with comprehension. I advised that if he can't get together with other cachers easily he should go with friends and family. That helped me at the beginning.

I'm still at 21 days longest drought, and that was last Spring.

Our longest drought is 123 days and we started in April, 2004. We're probably "doing it wrong" and need to "do it more". (wmpastor - keep that out of the "out of context" thread! :laughing:)

Mrs. Car54

Our longest drought is 123 days and we started in April, 2004. We're probably "doing it wrong" and need to "do it more". (wmpastor - keep that out of the "out of context" thread! :laughing:)

Mrs. Car54

Ha-ha - my antenna is always tuned for double entendres!

Back in college I broke my pinky when I jammed it playing football, went to the hospital and had a splint placed on it. That evening we went roller skating and I crashed, breaking my thumb, what are the odds of that?

Just speaking.

I imagine your hand bandaged up to form a shaka sign for a couple of weeks. Please tell me I'm right.

Now, if he would take the advice given and look for some lower difficulty caches. D3.5 is going to be tough for most new cachers, heck I have trouble with them sometimes. ☺

After looking at the listing for the cache he recently placed I could see a large park nearby that had 10 or so caches in it, many with lower D ratings and quite few listed as small or regular. It looked like a nice place to spend a day geocaching instead of hanging around playgrounds. Then there is also a mid size numbers trail a mile or so away if were so inclined.

Now, if he would take the advice given and look for some lower difficulty caches. D3.5 is going to be tough for most new cachers, heck I have trouble with them sometimes. ☺

After looking at the listing for the cache he recently placed I could see a large park nearby that had 10 or so caches in it, many with lower D ratings and quite few listed as small or regular. It looked like a nice place to spend a day geocaching instead of hanging around playgrounds. Then there is also a mid size numbers trail a mile or so away if were so inclined.

The good news is that he seems to have located someone to go caching with--at least once. :unsure:

Mrs. Car54

I've been at this for 12+ years and i bet even Mr Yuck can beat this. My longest streak is 7 days. I must be doing something wrong... :blink:

Mrs. Car54

I've been at this for 12+ years and i bet even Mr Yuck can beat this. My longest streak is 7 days. I must be doing something wrong... :blink:

Did you look first, or just "bet"? Because it's actually 8 days. So I can't beat you on that one. With the lower number winning for futility, I mean. Apparently I tied it with a 7 day vacation and one near home the day before I left this past April. But my stats show the 8 day streak from 2007. Is that correct, it's supposed to list the first one, rather than the latest one?

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Mrs. Car54

My longest streak for almost 10 years was 7. Recently, I was determined to break it. I am now at 9.

Mrs. Car54

Did you look first, or just "bet"? Because it's actually 8 days. So I can't beat you on that one. With the lower number winning for futility, I mean. Apparently I tied it with a 7 day vacation and one near home the day before I left this past April. But my stats show the 8 day streak from 2007. Is that correct, it's supposed to list the first one, rather than the latest one?

Nope, didn't look but now i'm kicking myself for not betting real money. :P

You-know-who had another thread locked!

His streak seems to be one new thread per day, & one locked thread per day. I'm worried his heifers are being neglected.

I'm beginning to think it's a sock puppet for the guy who FTF'd his cache (who is now prolifically posting here as well), and he's trolling us. Not an accusation, just a zany theory.

Either way, I'm having massive Ashnikes flashbacks right about now. :ph34r:

His streak seems to be one new thread per day, & one locked thread per day. I'm worried his heifers are being neglected.

I'm beginning to think it's a sock puppet for the guy who FTF'd his cache (who is now prolifically posting here as well), and he's trolling us. Not an accusation, just a zany theory.

I've stopped trying to figure it out. Just sitting back and enjoying the show.

I've stopped trying to figure it out. Just sitting back and enjoying the show.

It will be analysed as much as the 1978 Lufthansa heist and the single-bullet theory.

I've seen that person posting in other forum sections and he seems to be a reasonable guy. He spent some time in the service, and has done a fair amount of travel where's he's found caches in several states in countries (10 finds in Namibia!). He seems to understand all the geocaching basics and although he's posted a few cut-n-paste logs they're actually pretty coherent. You-know-how still may be a sock puppet but I don't think it's the same person that FTF'd his cache.

I've seen that person posting in other forum sections and he seems to be a reasonable guy. He spent some time in the service, and has done a fair amount of travel where's he's found caches in several states in countries (10 finds in Namibia!). He seems to understand all the geocaching basics and although he's posted a few cut-n-paste logs they're actually pretty coherent. You-know-how still may be a sock puppet but I don't think it's the same person that FTF'd his cache.

I am keeping my eye out for that "why does my post say 'ringbone?'" moment.