Ant+ chirp

Hi all

I have a chirp which I access with an Android tablet and the Ant+ sampler app.

What I am curious about is the coordinates are in degrees decimal minutes e.g (50.55566 -3.55566)

If anyone has used a chirp app of any sort that is programmed in this format does it get converted by other devices (garmin gps) to D m.mmm or what ever that device is set for and not come up as an error.

I don't see why it would but don't want to place it and find it useless.

Thanks in advance

Jim

I've never owned/programmed a chirp, but I thought the chirp just transmits text, which could be "its behind the big oak tree" or it could be "N34 56.789, W001 23.456" if so I wouldn't think the chirp is doing any sort of conversion, so it's most likely the app you're using that is converting from one co-ordinate format to the other.

Edited by MartyBartfast

I do not want to start a new thread for my question, but I still have a question and this one seems the closest - please excuse my rudeness for this :)

I have an android smartphone with ANT+ support, installed ANT+ Sampler app and can communicate with chirp.

However, the chirp (my own, brand new, bought a few days ago) always tell me that I'm trying to re-write data on someone elses's chirp because the PINs don't match.

How do I make them match? :)

And a bonus question: is there any way to keep the ANT+ on continuous scan/receive mode so the chirp gets discovered automatically and the smartphone beeps (or otherwise notifies me) when there is a chirp nearby?

However, the chirp (my own, brand new, bought a few days ago) always tell me that I'm trying to re-write data on someone elses's chirp because the PINs don't match.

And a bonus question: is there any way to keep the ANT+ on continuous scan/receive mode so the chirp gets discovered automatically and the smartphone beeps (or otherwise notifies me) when there is a chirp nearby?

We used to have a Chirp cache until it disappeared.....

The chirp device remembers which device it was programmed from and creates its own PIN to identify the device. You can't reprogram it from a different device and that's a security feature built into the chirp.

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Chirp_OM_EN.pdf

I have an android smartphone with ANT+ support, installed ANT+ Sampler app and can communicate with chirp.

Ah, that could be a problem. The way Garmin designed these to work was that the last 5 digits of the serial number of the GARMIN handheld used to program the CHIRP became its PIN. There's no telling what your Android phone sent to the CHIRP unless that app you're talking about allows you to set the PIN that way. Please review the docs for that app to see if there is any provision for this! I don't see it in their docs at all. One would imagine that this was designed solely for reading CHIRP units in the field, not for programming them.

Not familiar with your ANT+ Sampler app. You'd need to consult the docs for that. A Garmin handheld does scan continuously if you enable the CHIRP feature. Uses a bit of battery, so most of us only turn it on when we need it. Edited by ecanderson