Garmin venture hc - too old?

I am saving for a nice, new GPS, but being a single mom of 4 kids, it's a little slow. In the mean time I've been using my phone. However, I got my step father to lend me his gps for a little while. He doesn't geocache, so it's not like he needs it LOL. Anyway, I am trying to figure this thing out and I know somehow I can manually enter a waypoint, but I can't figure out how to get it to even be a little bit paperless. Is it possible or is it too old? Garmin refered to mapsource as "legacy" which to me means, old, outdated, and unsupported.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Kara

I am saving for a nice, new GPS, but being a single mom of 4 kids, it's a little slow. In the mean time I've been using my phone. However, I got my step father to lend me his gps for a little while. He doesn't geocache, so it's not like he needs it LOL. Anyway, I am trying to figure this thing out and I know somehow I can manually enter a waypoint, but I can't figure out how to get it to even be a little bit paperless. Is it possible or is it too old? Garmin refered to mapsource as "legacy" which to me means, old, outdated, and unsupported.

Kara

The owners manual can be found here. The Quick start guide can be found here. Since your a premium member you might want the consider using PQ's or downloading directly from the cache page. The Garmin replacement for mapsource is Basecamp. You can also use EasyGPS to load waypoints to your unit.

Edited by jholly

This is still a good GPSr for geocaching, but it does not provide paperless geocaching functions such as description, logs, and hints very easily. But it has a great color display that you can add free maps to. You just need to do a little homework by reading the owner's manual. Good luck.

Still very accurate and on my part, it's the most accurate odometer I have ever seen in a GPS unit, and I've owned a few of them. If you combine it with a cellphone for the paperless part, the Venture HC does the job very well.

+1.....if you have an old PDA ( Palm, Clie' ) you can put all the paperless on it using Spinner, Plucker, Cachmate, etc., this is how we all did it just a few years ago.....before that it was piles of printouts.

Kara

I've got a Venture HC and it's a good accurate machine. As others have pointed out it is not paperless. You can, however, load the hint onto it if you use GSAK to load your caches.

I've recently acquired a iPhone 4s and while I think it sucks as a geocaching device (using the free geocaching Intro app) I've taken to using it to read the web page if I get stuck with the Venture.

[ attack removed ]

Stick with what you have as the Venture is a great and reliable unit.

New is not always better when it comes to low end consumer units especially from Garmin. The buggy Etrex 20/30 series is newer but the older Venture will still out perform it hands down. The only advantage on the newer models is memory but they are slow and buggy where yours is not. Don't waste your money on anything newer as the Venture is better...

Remember new is not always better with Garmin.

;)

Edited by robertlipe
attack removed

Here is my advice regarding the advice above in posts #10 and #11 with respect to which GPSr is functionally capable of providing support in the primarily paperless pursuance of the geocaching hobby.

The author of Post #10 has recorded 761 cache finds.

The author of Post #11 has no recorded cache finds.

CowboyPapa

Who does not ask his tailor at what temperature is the chicken cooked. :lol:

Here is my advice regarding the advice above in posts #10 and #11 with respect to which GPSr is functionally capable of providing support in the primarily paperless pursuance of the geocaching hobby.

The author of Post #10 has recorded 761 cache finds.

The author of Post #11 has no recorded cache finds.

CowboyPapa

Who does not ask his tailor at what temperature is the chicken cooked. :lol:

Please explain to this non-scientist the relationship between recorded found caches and understanding the operation of a particular gps device. :rolleyes: