Geocaching Bucket Lists

So, does anyone have specific goals for geocaching that they'd like to share? I'm curious about where others want to go and do with the game.

Below is my "bucket list" for geocaching:

-reach 500 finds

-attempt GC206A3/Road to Bombing Range 61 and GC5600Q/Screenshot at some point

-hide 5 caches by the end of the year

-go to a Groundspeak event in Seattle

-have a lot of fun!

Anyone fulfilled any amazing goals? It'd be neat to know that too!

Long time scope

Cache in as many countries as possible, without jumping over the border just for a cache. We got 29 countries so far, and got 4 new ones this year. We love traveling.

Find 250 EarthCaches to get the Garnet Discovery level. We're at 153 now.

Very long time scope

Find the Ape cache in Brasil

Finish the Jasmer challenge. Still 12 missing, but I don't think we'll get many more anytime soon

Our goals are pretty simple. We view Geocaching as a means to an end and the end is being taken to a place of historical or geographical interest. We'll pack a picnic lunch, some snacks and beverages, make a route for the day and off we go. We're old now, not that many active years left so we cherish the days when we can get out and just "go for a ride".

I don't want to die for a cache. That's goal #1 with our family.

"We all have it coming, kid" --William Munny

For the record, I will re-iterate that I would have no problem buying it while geocaching or playing ballhockey. I believe it is better to get it with your boots on, Klingon-style.

Meanwhile, my bucket list top item would be completing the Tequila 81 date-restricted fizzy.

Attrition has made it such that I am going to have to leave the country to do that.

Like other caches that have allowed me to confront my issues (tree climbing for my acrophobia, cave caching for my claustrophobia), completing this one will require me to address my xenophobia.

Not sure this is a bucket list because we are retired and cache a lot but here is what we are working on.

*Finish Fizzy challenge by getting our last one which is a 3.5/5 . It may be a while cause around here it could mean walking across a high beaver dam

*Get all the US States. Still need 24. Trip to Florida last year required a detour to TN and SC. Flew to Texas for a New Years cruise and stayed an extra week to drive to 3 other states. Trip to PA last month required a detour to RI. Trip to Niagara Falls soon for a wedding will require a long detour past there to get 5 states from Ohio to Wisconsin

*Need to get GC HQTs cache and first cache. So when we visit our son in California next year to see their new baby, we will fly to Seattle and then drive to see him.

*We are working on 10 caches on every day on the calendar. 16 days left, 9 of which are next month

*We no longer will work on beating our previous year but we would like to get an average of at least 10 caches per day each year.

*We have identified a wonderful bike trail that has room for at least 100 caches. Likely will work on that in the fall and place all small , no micros.

Edited by Ma & Pa

Having goals is the really fun part of geocaching. Currently working on:

1. All terr/diff combos. With a little luck will get two more this weekend,

2. At least one find in every month since 2000. May be heading back east in a few weeks, and have mapped out 4 that will be relatively short drives.

3. Complete the Delorme sections and all counties in ID.

4. Getting some of the early classic caches is always on the list.

5. Get into and stay in the top 20K cachers. Not to easy with those pesky ones ahead of me continuing to make finds :D

6. Have two days that I need to find a cache hidden on those days.

I don't really have any "bucket list" goals for geocaching. I have (and have had) a few smaller goals.

I've been working on the Bay Area Quad Challenge since it first came out, but obviously I haven't been working on it very aggressively. (The challenge cache was published more than 7 years ago.)

A few years ago, I decided to fill my "Finds for Each Day of the Year" grid. It took me a couple years, but I did it.

Right now, I'm working on a streak. I started it last August, when Groundspeak was doing the 31 Days of August promotion. Then I kept going, with the goal of maintaining my streak until it at least matched my longest slump. Now my goal is 366 days. And there's a 30-day puzzle challenge around here, so I'm planning to maintain my streak with puzzle caches in July, ending the month with the 30-day puzzle challenge itself. So I need to solve a bunch more puzzles this weekend...

But my overall goal is pretty easy: Keep having fun geocaching.

Long time scope

Cache in as many countries as possible, without jumping over the border just for a cache. We got 29 countries so far, and got 4 new ones this year. We love traveling.

Find 250 EarthCaches to get the Garnet Discovery level. We're at 153 now.

Very long time scope

Find the Ape cache in Brasil

Finish the Jasmer challenge. Still 12 missing, but I don't think we'll get many more anytime soon

Mine is similar, though I'm not especially interested in the Jasmer (or any other challenge cache for that matter).

and I would add...

Find a cache on all seven continents. Extremely unlikely, but I think 6 would be achievable (I currently have 4). Although I have several countries in which I've only found 1 cache, only one is near the border, and I wouldn't count that as jumping over the border just for a cache as it involved going over the Zimbabwe side to see Victoria Falls during the low water season where the view was much better.

I'm still a beginner, which I probably don't have to state as it's overwhelmingly obvious from my goals

- find 50 caches, which should happen tomorrow

- 100 caches

- cache in another country (hopefully nz next month)

- hide my first cache

- log the nearby earth caches

- GET A LARGE CACHE! I've been caching a year and still haven't found a large cache.

I don't really have any longterm goals. It's taken me a year to get 50 caches, but I've gotten 20 in the past two days alone. I just want to try to start to put caching into my daily routine, or at least go caching once a week.

Edited by chevron_heart

I do not have such a list. I'd like to hike to a geocache which is located at an altitude >2500m and find a few further above 2000.

Moroever, I'd like to do a few further long distance hiking multi caches.

In all involved cases my major focus is on the hike however and not on the geocaching part.

Not sure if "Bucket List" is really the term the OP should haves used. Bucket list means "A list of things to do before you die"...

I guess "Geocaching Goals" isn't as catchy, though.

I suppose one goal I have is to reach 1000 finds before the two-year anniversary of my first find. Not sure if it will be possible now that I only have about five months left and over 300 to go!

I do not have such a list. I'd like to hike to a geocache which is located at an altitude >2500m and find a few further above 2000.

Moroever, I'd like to do a few further long distance hiking multi caches.

In all involved cases my major focus is on the hike however and not on the geocaching part.

Long distance hiking caches and altitude caches sound cool - that might be an idea for myself! I think it'd be neat to backpack a trail and cache along the way.

So, does anyone have specific goals for geocaching that they'd like to share? I'm curious about where others want to go and do with the game.

Below is my "bucket list" for geocaching:

-reach 500 finds

-attempt GC206A3/Road to Bombing Range 61 and GC5600Q/Screenshot at some point

-hide 5 caches by the end of the year

-go to a Groundspeak event in Seattle

-have a lot of fun!

Anyone fulfilled any amazing goals? It'd be neat to know that too!

It would be nice to find a cache that's big enough that I couldn't fit 1000 or more of them into the proverbial bucket.

Goals:

•Cache out of state (should be going to MN and ND this summer, all I have is CA so far)

•finding more QUALITY caches. Just because I find LPC's, doesn't mean I like them. Which brings me to my next goal

•find every cache in my hometown. Now this will be hard.

•I have plans drawn up for at least two creative caches. So this summer I will build and place them.

•reach 400 finds by the end of summer, and of course 1000 is always a good milestone that I want to hit sometime.

•become an Earthcache master platinum level. I have placed enough, just need to travel more :)

Oh so much to be done,

So little time!:)

Not sure if "Bucket List" is really the term the OP should haves used. Bucket list means "A list of things to do before you die"...

I think that's what it traditionally means but it has evolved into "a list of things that one wants to do" without the presumption that one is going to die soon. At least, that's how I've used it.

I have a bookmark list that I've been maintaining for years, of caches that I want to find all over the world. I don't even know if I'll ever be in some of those places, but I figure it doesn't hurt to save them in a list. I've been able to find a few of them, which makes me happy. I know I'll find more in the future (especially the ones in the U.S.).

I have a bookmark list that I've been maintaining for years, of caches that I want to find all over the world. I don't even know if I'll ever be in some of those places, but I figure it doesn't hurt to save them in a list. I've been able to find a few of them, which makes me happy. I know I'll find more in the future (especially the ones in the U.S.).

I have a similar list of about 200 caches, though mine is mostly in the Lower 48 States. If I could get 50 of them, I would be very happy.

I would also like to complete the Virginia Counties and Delorme challenges.

Last (and least likely) on my list are the JASMER and Fizzy challenges.

This got me to thinking about my 'Bucket List' and here is what I came up with (not in any particular order):

1. Get to 10,000 finds

2. Find a cache in all 50 states

3. Solve as many puzzles (in-home/field)as possible

4. Concentrate on park caches

I can probably come up with a lot more later but these are the major ones.

Long term goals:

1. Visit and cache in all 50 states.

2. Visit and cache in as many countries as I can.

3. Find as many of the old ones as I can including Mingo GC30 and The Spot GC39. Yes, I'll also stop at Arikaree GC31 when I'm back in Kansas. Find GC12 GC 16,and GC17 in OR. Find GCD in WA. I have already been to Beverly GC28. I've already completed the Jasmer Grid but still like finding the old ones.

Short term goals:

1. Finally complete the NC Delorme Challenge. I have one more page and should get it in a few weeks.

2. Find the NC Challenge Cache. I qualified a few months ago, but haven't made the 45 minute trip to get the cache.

3. Qualify for and then find the Murphy-Manteo Challenge; one cache at each end of the state 550 miles apart. In the works for next weekend. I already had plans to be near each end, so why not?

4. Attend at least 2 more Megas this year. Attend more events and meet more cachers.

5. Keep qualifying for reasonable challenges. I like the way they help me focus my short term caching goals. The most current one is to find 22 more EC's to reach 100 and qualify for the Century of .... challenges in NC and TN.

6. Cache with my dog more often. This requires hikes in the woods where he can run off leash. I cannot cache in parks or greenways where he has to be leashed; it's no fun for either of us.

Edited by wimseyguy

I've always wanted to visit every county in the United States and I've probably been to well north of 1000 counties. But that was before I was married, before I had kids and before geocaching. So since -- after a couple of years of caching I decided I'd probably stick with it for the foreseeable future, I started trying to get counties. In April, me and two caching buddies cleared all 17 Nevada counties in a weekend. Since I'm in California, it's harder to get counties -- they're cut bigger out west and I now have to go out at least 150+ miles to get a new one -- but it's a great deal of fun. So, someday, I hope to get to county number 3,143 or so via geocaching -- I'm at merely 116 now. But so long as there's caching, and even if it takes 25 years, I have every intention of meeting that goal.

Well, this last weekend I did one of mine: found caches in my last two states, so I now have all 50, plus DC. Yay!

I can't even fathom doing every county in the US! I think I still stick to getting more countries for a while.

Meanwhile, I am working on getting 100 Wherigo and Earthcache finds. Some challenge near me. ;)