Central Illinois Cachers

remixdj

I'm not much of a people person... and not interested in one-on-one dialogs... but if you post a question here, and no one else responds to it... I'll help where I can... What's up???

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines!

The early bird gets the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

Well it's good to see Walkin Stick is still alive. icon_smile.gif Not much activity lately.

Remixdj: There are many people in the area and some good caches too, particularly around Peoria. I'm pretty busy right now so I don't know when I'll be around Bloomington, but I can answer questions either here or via email. If you want to meet up with someone, you can check the logs of area cachers to get a good idea of who is around. You might try contacting them via email.

Anyways, welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching.

rdw

Well it's good to see Walkin Stick is still alive. icon_smile.gif Not much activity lately.

Remixdj: There are many people in the area and some good caches too, particularly around Peoria. I'm pretty busy right now so I don't know when I'll be around Bloomington, but I can answer questions either here or via email. If you want to meet up with someone, you can check the logs of area cachers to get a good idea of who is around. You might try contacting them via email.

Anyways, welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching.

rdw

Hey guys!

Actually you're both right!

After going like crazy since mid-December, the last few weeks have been somewhat slow for me... partly due to the weather over some of the recent weekends... partly due to the distance that its getting to be to the nearest caches... partly due to overtime at work... and most predominantly, due to a root canal I had recently (not to mention the medication afterwards and the pain before it)... you really don't know how jarring a road trip is until you do it with an irritated nerve ending at the end of a tooth root.

But I also found 5 last weekend... including Markwell's Cachiversary... located in one of my favorite parks. I still say GREAT choice of parks Markwell!

There's a couple new ones in the Bloomington area... but I'm on a winning streak at "the boat" so I've been to Peoria three times this week... A streak initiated when I won $2000 in Joliet last weekend. Since then I've won $30, $20, and $100 in my 3 trips to Peoria... I guess you'd say I was looking for a different kind of cache (cash?) this week.

I'm guessing I'll be back out, at least looking for a couple tomorrow. I haven't decided which way I'm going to head... but I'm off the medication... and the weather is supposed to be partly sunny and near 50... Sounds like Geocaching weather to me!

Eagles may soar but weasles don't get sucked into jet engines!

The early bird gets the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!

I'm a little South of Bloomington--Coles County (Charleston/Mattoon area). Caches in the immediate area seem a little slim, but I manage to get on the road pretty regular and have had a lot of fun seeing places in this area I've never been to before. I'll be sure to look for your names in the logbooks if I don't see you on the trails! icon_smile.gif

Bret

I'm a little South of Bloomington--Coles County (Charleston/Mattoon area). Caches in the immediate area seem a little slim, but I manage to get on the road pretty regular and have had a lot of fun seeing places in this area I've never been to before. I'll be sure to look for your names in the logbooks if I don't see you on the trails! icon_smile.gif

Bret

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

CYBret, maybe you can team up with rdw and finally get him up here to find my cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3229.

Markwell

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/markwellcachemain.htm

Man, don't get me going on this again. I have been to Pi _every_ time I have been caching in Chicago. I have been to Stage 3 three more times since my last log. (I'd log, but there isn't anything to log.) I've been there so many times I could drive there blinfolded in a blizzard without a map. The main problem with Pi, other than the fact that I can't find it, is that Chicago is a boring three hour drive each way. And I haven't had much weekend time lately. The last cache I logged was March 18th. icon_frown.gif

CYBret, if you can find the thing, I can take care of the math. I know where the Plainfield public library is and I have computer use priveleges from the last time I was there.

I've got a little over a month before I move to Carbondale. I figure I can squeeze in two or three more big caching trips to Chicago before it will be prohibitively far away.

BTW, does anybody want to take over the occasional maintenance duties/priveleges for the Lake Shelbyville and Lake Mattoon caches. icon_smile.gif If not, they will probably be archived and go with me to be placed in the southern part of the state. If I can find a park that isn't saturated with Myotis or Aquasleuth caches. icon_rolleyes.gif

The weather looks nice so I'm going out to take new Zip-loc's to my caches. I checked them last week and the baggies have all taken a beating.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

CYBret, maybe you can team up with rdw and finally get him up here to find my cache, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=3229.

Markwell

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/marklent60544/myhomepage/Geocaching/markwellcachemain.htm

Man, don't get me going on this again. I have been to Pi _every_ time I have been caching in Chicago. I have been to Stage 3 three more times since my last log. (I'd log, but there isn't anything to log.) I've been there so many times I could drive there blinfolded in a blizzard without a map. The main problem with Pi, other than the fact that I can't find it, is that Chicago is a boring three hour drive each way. And I haven't had much weekend time lately. The last cache I logged was March 18th. icon_frown.gif

CYBret, if you can find the thing, I can take care of the math. I know where the Plainfield public library is and I have computer use priveleges from the last time I was there.

I've got a little over a month before I move to Carbondale. I figure I can squeeze in two or three more big caching trips to Chicago before it will be prohibitively far away.

BTW, does anybody want to take over the occasional maintenance duties/priveleges for the Lake Shelbyville and Lake Mattoon caches. icon_smile.gif If not, they will probably be archived and go with me to be placed in the southern part of the state. If I can find a park that isn't saturated with Myotis or Aquasleuth caches. icon_rolleyes.gif

The weather looks nice so I'm going out to take new Zip-loc's to my caches. I checked them last week and the baggies have all taken a beating.

rdw

I just got the greatest idea. The central Illinois cachers should gang up on Hard As Pi some day. Surely if we got Walkin Stick (and Jenni), Jeepster, Daniel Lee, CYBret, dustystar, rcharlier, and the rest of the locals together, we could do it one day. And maybe I could FINALLY find stage 3.

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

I just got the greatest idea. The central Illinois cachers should gang up on Hard As Pi some day. Surely if we got Walkin Stick (and Jenni), Jeepster, Daniel Lee, CYBret, dustystar, rcharlier, and the rest of the locals together, we could do it one day. And maybe I could FINALLY find stage 3.

rdw

The way Markwell keeps us down-staters from finding Hard As Pi in one day is he keeps taking the various stages home for safekeeping. Honest, my wife and I spent an hour and a half looking for stage four ... even picked out the location where we would have hidden it. After e-mailing Markwell, he kindly replaced it ... actually I think he only replaced it for bspeng and twocampers ... but, we snuck in right behind them and logged the find.

So, rdw, please hurry up to log the final stage before he takes it home again. If Jenni knew math, I'm sure even Walkin Stick could get his walker through the woods to log this one. By the way Walkin Stick, congrates on your 200th find.

After the second down-stater logs Hard As Pi, I think Markwell should feel obliged to make a trip down to work on solving The Journal ... what do you think?

Jeepster

- Road kill on the information highway ...

I can't tell you how sorry I am that I'm going to have to miss the Central IL Geocachers Gathering. If my son didn't have his last soccer game of the season that afternoon, we'd be there.

What y'all don't know (well maybe you do) is that my first teaching job after graduating ISU was in Delavan, IL, and the first year we lived in Tremont. The year I married my wonderful wife, we lived in Morton. Central Illinois is my old stomping ground.

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

DogMa and I (MrSki) are relatively new to this Geo-Caching stuff but we are truly hooked. I got a Magellan Companion for my Visor (mainly to compete against DogMa's dad and his new toy) and quickly learned that following a map back and forth to work every day gets boring real fast. hehehehe

Of course, after searching for GPS GAMES we stumbled upon this little jewel. I think I had heard about it a little while back but did not catch on to it. Now that I have a GPS, I have been reading all I can! Sometimes I even manage to get a little work done in between surfing and researching!

DogMa and I have only logged 3 finds (2 virtuals) but we are trying to work our way up to more. Walking distances is not something we manage very well, but hopefully with more and more practice we will be able to do more. Thank goodness we have so much to choose from in this part of the state (Urbana).

We won't be able to make the June 8 gathering but you can bet we will be keeping our eyes out on the trails for anyone we run across.

MrSki and DogMa

M-D-M Explorations

[This message was edited by M-D-M Explorations on May 13, 2002 at 10:41 AM.]

I'm an Illinois native (30 years) now living in the Seattle area. I was amused to see that the "Central Illinois" event is in Peoria. Back in Springfield, I don't recall ever thinking of Peoria as central IL. But I guess that if you are from the Chicago area, it is. (Considering that anything south of Joliet is "downstate Illinois"!)

Anyway, I've turned my dad on to geocaching. He is still in Spfld and unfortunately not much action there. There are 3 geocaches within 20 miles of his zip code. Compare that to the 144 within 20 miles of mine! Yipes. I think I'll come out this summer and place a few.

Would it be safe to assume that some good geocaches in the Capital City area would draw some takers?

Hope to see some of you guys at an event sometime.

Cheers,

Seth!

I am surprised that there are so few around Springfield, especially with the potential for interesting scenic and historic sites. I have a friend who lives there and I may just have to see if I can get him hooked on this as well. I will probably be in Springfield in October and it would be nice to do some hunting while I am there.