Who do I ask permission from to hide cache

asmarkham

Could anybody tell me who you contact to hide a cache in a guardrail? I haven't hidden a cache, as of yet, but, rolling it around in my head. There are a lot of areas around me that have a LONG way between caches. I'd like to remedy that! I have no idea who 'owns' the guardrail that you would contact to hide it there.

I would start with the following:

Geocaching Wiki

You can find some agency and land use management issues there, and if that doesn't answer your question, I would either ask your local Reviewer:

Finding your Local Reviewer

Or submit a Listing for a saturation/proximity check, and ask the question in a Note to the Reviewer:

Checking for Geocache Saturation

Alternatively, you could talk with other Geocachers, at an Event for instance, and see if anyone knows any local laws which prohibit such placements, or if your particular guard rail is located on private property or has other issues.

Good luck!

Edited by Touchstone

Could anybody tell me who you contact to hide a cache in a guardrail? I haven't hidden a cache, as of yet, but, rolling it around in my head. There are a lot of areas around me that have a LONG way between caches. I'd like to remedy that! I have no idea who 'owns' the guardrail that you would contact to hide it there.

Maybe there's a long way between for a reason.

Atending events, joining a local cache group, or simply asking your Reviewer could probably tell you why, or help you on your way.

I would start with the following:

Geocaching Wiki

You can find some agency and land use management issues there, and if that doesn't answer your question, I would either ask your local Reviewer:

Finding your Local Reviewer

Or submit a Listing for a saturation/proximity check, and ask the question in a Note to the Reviewer:

Checking for Geocache Saturation

Alternatively, you could talk with other Geocachers, at an Event for instance, and see if anyone knows any local laws which prohibit such placements, or if your particular guard rail is located on private property or has other issues.

Good luck!

Thanks, Touchstone, those links will be helpful. I did try to find the local reviewer in my area this morning, the little green icons that are for the reviewer, on few caches that I have found in this area, but, I cant click on them....when I put my mouse over them, nothing happens...don't know if it is an issue with my computer or it was just being temperamental this morning. I will try again! Thanks for your help!

T.D.M.22, there are a couple reasons I'd like to do some quick pick micro caches. I have friends who are handicapped....so, the guardrail ones or quick picks are easily accessible to them. The ticks/mosquitoes/deerflies are horrid here right now.....my 4 year old granddaughter likes to do them but, has severe reactions to insect bites...so, the woods aren't always a great alternative for her. I have quite a few ideas for cache hides....I am trying to learn all I can. :)

Thanks, LOne.R, I am hoping to also do some swag caches. Havent done one yet!!! I'm in the process of figuring out all the ins and outs! I have a 4 year old granddaughter who likes to cache but has severe reactions to insect bites....right now the mosquitoes, ticks and deer flies are horrid here! The quick picks are always a great opportunity for her to be able to cache with me. I also have some friends who are handicapped.....I'm a hairdresser, so, I have been telling people about this and some aren't highly mobile. Thanks for your help and patience with a newbie! ;)

Thanks, Touchstone, those links will be helpful. I did try to find the local reviewer in my area this morning, the little green icons that are for the reviewer, on few caches that I have found in this area, but, I cant click on them....when I put my mouse over them, nothing happens...don't know if it is an issue with my computer or it was just being temperamental this morning. I will try again! Thanks for your help!

Judging from your most recent Finds, I'd hazard to guess that this individual is your Local Reviewer:

MainePublisher

The "Send Message" link on their Profile will take you to a form to contact them through the website.

Thanks, LOne.R, I am hoping to also do some swag caches. Havent done one yet!!! I'm in the process of figuring out all the ins and outs! I have a 4 year old granddaughter who likes to cache but has severe reactions to insect bites....right now the mosquitoes, ticks and deer flies are horrid here! The quick picks are always a great opportunity for her to be able to cache with me. I also have some friends who are handicapped.....I'm a hairdresser, so, I have been telling people about this and some aren't highly mobile. Thanks for your help and patience with a newbie! ;)

Another idea for a child that has severe insect allergies....hide something indoors. Library caches are some of my favourite caches. No insects to worry about and a good place to spend some quality time looking a children's books as well as geocaching. Also modern libraries are handicap accessible. Visit your local library and ask for permission to hide a hollow book - they may even donate an old book for the cause. I've seen libraries actually catalogue a geocache book and place it in their reference collection so that it can't be inadvertently signed out.

Here are a couple of library caches to give you some ideas:

geobook.jpg

5e402c1c4881f4925ce8f4a7d63645b2.jpg

How to make a hollow book instructions

Another idea for a child that has severe insect allergies....hide something indoors. Library caches are some of my favourite caches. No insects to worry about and a good place to spend some quality time looking a children's books as well as geocaching. Also modern libraries are handicap accessible. Visit your local library and ask for permission to hide a hollow book - they may even donate an old book for the cause. I've seen libraries actually catalogue a geocache book and place it in their reference collection so that it can't be inadvertently signed out.

Here are a couple of library caches to give you some ideas:

geobook.jpg

5e402c1c4881f4925ce8f4a7d63645b2.jpg

How to make a hollow book instructions

I tend to frown on guardrail caches (although I am not too proud to find them) simply because of the hazard of passing traffic. Stopping on shoulders can be quite dangerous, and even protecting yourself with a parked vehicle is not completely safe as those get hit also. I do realize some guardrails are along lightly trafficked roads or along parking lots and have no problem there.

Whenever possible cachers should find off-road parking and not on the shoulders for safety sake. A year or two ago a family was killed pulling off the shoulder in front of traffic in Texas. If you must stop on the shoulder, please get up to about half the speed of the highway before coming out in traffic if possible.

T.D.M.22, there are a couple reasons I'd like to do some quick pick micro caches. I have friends who are handicapped....so, the guardrail ones or quick picks are easily accessible to them. The ticks/mosquitoes/deerflies are horrid here right now.....my 4 year old granddaughter likes to do them but, has severe reactions to insect bites...so, the woods aren't always a great alternative for her. I have quite a few ideas for cache hides....I am trying to learn all I can. :)

I know this is a late reply-but did I say you have to hide one in the forest? Nope. I said don't hide it because it's easier for you to do less work. And on a second note-by placing caches that are not liked by lots, such as the average guardrail cache, or LPC for people bound to wheelchairs is only reinforcing the fact they can't get the "cool caches" Why can't they find a difficulty 5 terrain 1 cache if they are only in a wheel chair? If they are handicapped in some other way, what stopping them from going to other cool caches?There are many ways to make a cache wheelchair accessible, and still make it cool. If someone's handicapped, what makes a larger cache not right for them? Absolutely nothing, other than the fact that you think they should find "cool" or "better" caches...

I tend to frown on guardrail caches (although I am not too proud to find them) simply because of the hazard of passing traffic. Stopping on shoulders can be quite dangerous, and even protecting yourself with a parked vehicle is not completely safe as those get hit also. I do realize some guardrails are along lightly trafficked roads or along parking lots and have no problem there.

Whenever possible cachers should find off-road parking and not on the shoulders for safety sake. A year or two ago a family was killed pulling off the shoulder in front of traffic in Texas. If you must stop on the shoulder, please get up to about half the speed of the highway before coming out in traffic if possible.

I agree Trucker Lee! Some roads are extremely scary! The one I live on, although a country road with a speed limit of 35 is very scary to walk on. I feel safer on the side of a highway than on my road! Some of the Walmart caches are on the guardrails. :) I LOVE finding tricky caches! The thing I dislike about the guardrail caches....I feel weird looking for a cache with people driving by me wondering what on earth I am doing....thinking that they probably think I am looking for a drug pick up or something! LOL!

Generally most people do not ask permission for guardrail hides. Perhaps you should only hide something on one if there is a pull off place nearby. I know of several remote gravel roads in maine where logging trucks will suddenly appear at 70 mph, and if there is someone parked where there normally isn't, there could be some problems. Look for stopping areas, rather than just empty gaps to fill.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

Generally most people do not ask permission for guardrail hides. Perhaps you should only hide something on one if there is a pull off place nearby. I know of several remote gravel roads in maine where logging trucks will suddenly appear at 70 mph, and if there is someone parked where there normally isn't, there could be some problems. Look for stopping areas, rather than just empty gaps to fill.

Thanks, 4wheelin_fool! I appreciate it! The one I have my eye on, there is a restaurant right there that has been out of business for a few years. There is also an ample 'pull over' area on both sides of the road and on either side of guard rail. I am sure as I continue my exploration of how to hide a cache, I will have many more questions! LOL! You are all very helpful! Thanks so much!

Wow, thanks, I had no idea they had caches in libraries!!!! That is awesome!

Thank you!

Neither did I! I thought caches had to be located outdoors or at least somewhere open 24/7, although I have come across a puzzle cache outside a museum with coordinates that you could only work out by going inside and reading certain exhibits.