I have a theory ... would like your opinion

Guest canuk

I have taken a number of different people with me while hunting, and each of them have liked it for a different reason.

I like it cause I get out, get some exercise, and get to play with my GPS, another likes it for the hunt, and others like it for the scenery.

And there are two ways to measure the difficulty of a cache: the terrain, and how well it is hidden.

So, my theory is: A successfully placed cache is one that satisfies the need to either A) get outdoors and see some nice scenery, :rolleyes: hike some challenging terrain, C) find a difficultly hid cache, or D) a combination of the previous 3.

So, here is where I ask your opinion. Would you find value in looking for a cache that is more focused on being difficult to find, and less focused on the other factors? (obviously this would be noted in the cache description).

The reason I ask, is that I would find it very entertaining to go after some very hard to find caches, even if it doesnt satisfy my need to see nice scenery.

Would you like that? If the general concensus is yes, than I am going to start planting ones like that.

Canuk

ally I would rather spend hours getting there and back then hours hunting. Not that I wouldn't try a hard to find one if it was there but if I had my choice I would pick hard-to-get-to over hard-to-find.

But please don't let me discourage you though, I bet there are a lot of cachers out there that like the search better than the journey.

mcb

Guest Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy

quote:
Originally posted by canuk:

So, here is where I ask your opinion. Would you find value in looking for a cache that is more focused on being difficult to find, and less focused on the other factors? (obviously this would be noted in the cache description).

Personally, I think I would. I've been reading recently on the forums about lots of really neat multistage themed caches with clues and research and so forth and wishing we had something like that somewhere near here. The highest-rated cache within 50 miles of me is a 4/2 right here in town, but I think it might be somewhat overrated as to the difficulty; we were able to collect all but one of the clues in an hour or so, and the only thing keeping us from collecting the last clue is that it's 25 miles away from all the rest. Even without that clue, the cache location is limited to a relatively small square that happens to be mostly river. (We haven't logged it yet, though, because my GPS started malfunctioning the day we tried.)

Personally, I'd like to place a really difficult puzzle cache if I can't find one already placed, but I don't know that I have a feel for what makes a difficult cache, given that there don't seem to be any actual difficult caches nearby.

So yes, I'd like to see some more difficult caches, with or without terrain and scenery, just so I can get some ideas for my own caches.

Guest Markwell

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Personally, I'd like to place a really difficult puzzle cache if I can't find one already placed, but I don't know that I have a feel for what makes a difficult cache, given that there don't seem to be any actual difficult caches nearby.

Day Trip. 3 hours, 37 minutes for 235.56 miles of travel. Go Here. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though - having just found 8 caches yesterday, I find that a lot of caches could have been a lot more difficult in terrain and hiding had the hider just spent an extra 15 minutes. The most fun I had was a cache underneath a whole bunch of limestone (about 100 yard long pile by a creek). I also enjoyed a good ½ mile hike at the end of the day.

One cache, however, was in a great forest preserve. As I'm trekking along, I see deep ravines to my left and 50 foot sloping hills to my right. One hill was basically and island with 60° slopes on all sides. That would have been PERFECT for a cache. Nope. It was 75 feet off the level trail, next to a fallen log.

Regardless, I think that people need to beef up their expectations of what people will do for a cache.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 19 February 2002).]

Guest Markwell

quote:

Day Trip. 3 hours, 37 minutes for 235.56 miles of travel. Go Here. icon_wink.gif

Seriously, though - having just found 8 caches yesterday, I find that a lot of caches could have been a lot more difficult in terrain and hiding had the hider just spent an extra 15 minutes. The most fun I had was a cache underneath a whole bunch of limestone (about 100 yard long pile by a creek). I also enjoyed a good ½ mile hike at the end of the day.

One cache, however, was in a great forest preserve. As I'm trekking along, I see deep ravines to my left and 50 foot sloping hills to my right. One hill was basically and island with 60° slopes on all sides. That would have been PERFECT for a cache. Nope. It was 75 feet off the level trail, next to a fallen log.

Regardless, I think that people need to beef up their expectations of what people will do for a cache.

------------------

Markwell

My GPS Activity Page

Non omnes vagi perditi sunt

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 19 February 2002).]

Guest bluespreacher

quote:
Originally posted by canuk:

Canuk[/b]

I'm pretty new to this, and I'm sure my preferences will change over time, but right now I like a cache that is hard to get to -- easy to find. I don't seem to have a head for puzzles, but I *do* love to hike!

That's what makes the cache description so helpful. Each of us seek what we want. My guess is that we hide the caches we would like to seek, and I think that's just fine. Each of your caches is a gift from you to those who would appreciate it.

BTW, my wife and I celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary in Baraboo. Funny thing is, I just heard about the crane sanctuary there on NPR today.

Keep on caching,

Bluespreacher

[This message has been edited by bluespreacher (edited 19 February 2002).]

Definitely the scenery and the hike. Once I'm "there", who wants to spend hours lifting up every autumn leaf and moving every blade of grass in the bushes to find a McDonalds' coupon with a ketchup stain on it. Anyway, after getting bit by a Lyme infected tick last October, and being on antibiotics and scratching for a month afterwards, I'm hardly fond of poking around too much any more.

Now, where'd I put that Deet?

alan

a lot of caches could have been a lot more difficult in terrain and hiding had the hider just spent an extra 15 minutes.

We've found that what cache hiders around here need to consider is that when the leaves fall off the tree and blow away, the great hiding place might not be so great anymore. In the three cases that I'm thinking of there were better hiding spots nearby. In fact, in two of the cases, the coordinates given led us to the better hiding spots first. In the third case, we found the better spot because the cache had been plundered and we searched every square inch of riverbank looking for it; the original spot was pretty good to start with, but obviously not quite good enough to keep the local kid population away.

And yes, we only have 5 finds (and one not-found) under our belts, so we're not really in a position to say what's good and bad yet, but that's never stopped me from sharing my opinion in the past. icon_smile.gif

a lot of caches could have been a lot more difficult in terrain and hiding had the hider just spent an extra 15 minutes.

We've found that what cache hiders around here need to consider is that when the leaves fall off the tree and blow away, the great hiding place might not be so great anymore. In the three cases that I'm thinking of there were better hiding spots nearby. In fact, in two of the cases, the coordinates given led us to the better hiding spots first. In the third case, we found the better spot because the cache had been plundered and we searched every square inch of riverbank looking for it; the original spot was pretty good to start with, but obviously not quite good enough to keep the local kid population away.

And yes, we only have 5 finds (and one not-found) under our belts, so we're not really in a position to say what's good and bad yet, but that's never stopped me from sharing my opinion in the past. icon_smile.gif

Guest Milgren

Although I'm still a neocacher (just got my first GPS), I especially enjoy reading about puzzle caches and those that involve quite a bit of mental work. Of course, I've got a degree in chemistry, and enjoy physics and math as well, which may have something to do with that opinion. icon_wink.gif

I certainly wouldn't mind a few more hard-to-find, multi-step, and puzzle caches out there!

Guest Milgren

Although I'm still a neocacher (just got my first GPS), I especially enjoy reading about puzzle caches and those that involve quite a bit of mental work. Of course, I've got a degree in chemistry, and enjoy physics and math as well, which may have something to do with that opinion. icon_wink.gif

I certainly wouldn't mind a few more hard-to-find, multi-step, and puzzle caches out there!

quote:
Originally posted by Milgren:

You're not that far from me... if I get off my rear end and create one, would you be interested in beta-testing?

Guest Milgren

quote:

You're not that far from me... if I get off my rear end and create one, would you be interested in beta-testing?

Certainly! We actually almost made a run to Fort Wayne a week ago, but had to cancel. I'm also hoping to place a cache or two out my way someday, once I get a little more experience "in the field".

Well we're also new to the sport with just one find under our belts. We were planning to try for a second when winter finally decided to make an appearance. I like the idea of puzzle caches and multi-caches and I'm sure we'll try a few for variety. But we definitely prefer the hard-to-get-to caches. We love hiking, the more rugged the better. Last fall I got my scuba certification and would love to see a near-by scuba cache. I think the variety of caches available is what will keep this sport interesting and growing. If something sounds like fun to you, I'm sure there are others that would also enjoy it.

Hoosiermom - team leader of GeoStars

ahhh fuzzman, im looking forward to your hard multi-cache. the only reason ive never gone after the cash cache also is i dont really want to drive the 25 miles.

its a shame you got the inside information on my cache or you could challenge yourself with that.

[Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC]

[403forbidden.urbanexploration.org]

quote:
Originally posted by Episkipos Enos Shenk, KSC:

ahhh fuzzman, im looking forward to your hard multi-cache. the only reason ive never gone after the cash cache also is i dont really want to drive the 25 miles.

Actually, you can do the cash cache with a good topo map, the other 5 clues, the pictures, and a dose of common sense. There's only 10 places it could be, and some of them are in the river. If you read the logs, you'll see that we did it before getting Clue Two. But Clue Two is a nice challenge in itself, especially if you don't park where you're told, so I'd recommend driving down there and getting it some weekend. While you're there, you can also get Pine Sol, 'Clare' Up There, and our arch-nemesis, All Locked Up. It makes for about 3-4 hours of caching, with very little drive time between caches and lots of interesting locations.

quote:

its a shame you got the inside information on my cache or you could challenge yourself with that.

I'm not aware of having any inside information, other than my occupationally-required familiarity with binary numbers. When Warm Fuzzies gets a free weekend again, we have every intention of getting up there and finding it. Your cache, the other new one in Aboite Twp, and two of Earthling's caches are all that remains for us within 20 miles.

warm.gif

well, i accidently looked at the pictures for the cash cache a while back and i know exactly where its located. in fact i have a picture on my system of me and some friends standing almost right on top of it last summer, we were watching that nifty building spew water into the river.

that aboite cache is one of my favorites around here now. its rather difficult to puzzle out (if you suck at math like me) and just a creative departure from the usual follow-the-gps.

i just realized i never did answer the topics question, i personally would prefer an intelligently challenging cache, requiring research or wits to figure out, rather then just poking in and under every tree in a 30 foot marking zone. i also appreciate a cache that shows you something youve never seen before or teaches you an interesting history lesson. im planning a couple future caches that i plan to locate near areas that most fort wayners never notice, or have simply never heard about.

did you know we used to have an amusement park? *hint hint*

quote:

did you know we used to have an amusement park?

Actually, yes, but then I'm something of an amateur historian myself. Unfortunately, the original site of Robison Park is now a housing addition, so I'm not sure where you'd put a cache. I suppose you could put one across the river at the other end of the old feeder dam near Riverbend Golf Course, but that would be awfully close to your existing cache.

warm.gif

oh very very cool link. i never knew about robinson park myself until my friend and i stumbled across an area (thats behind the housing addition icon_smile.gif ) that has some 1918 dated construction markings. i wont say too much because thats where i plan on locating this cache, but its a nifty area. my friends and i spent an hour out there one day trying to open a manhole next to it, failed miserably and got eaten by mosquitos.

anyway, what is this feeder dam you mention mmm? it sounds interesting, im always interested in some new bit of urban decay to look at and get pictures of.

oh very very cool link. i never knew about robinson park myself until my friend and i stumbled across an area (thats behind the housing addition icon_smile.gif ) that has some 1918 dated construction markings. i wont say too much because thats where i plan on locating this cache, but its a nifty area. my friends and i spent an hour out there one day trying to open a manhole next to it, failed miserably and got eaten by mosquitos.

anyway, what is this feeder dam you mention mmm? it sounds interesting, im always interested in some new bit of urban decay to look at and get pictures of.

quote:

The feeder dam was part of the Wabash & Erie Canal. Fort Wayne is called the Summit City because it was the highest point on that canal. As the highest point on the canal, because water flows downhill, Fort Wayne had to be the source for the water in the canal. They accomplished that by channeling water from the St. Joseph River into the highest point on the canal, near where the canal crossed the St. Mary's River just north of Main Street (check out the statue at the corner of Main St. & Thieme Dr. sometime if you want to know more about how the canal crossed the river. That statue would make a great virtual cache.)

When the main canal was no longer profitable, after the advent of the railroads, the feeder canal was used for other purposes. For a while, it was used as a source of water for the Fort Wayne Light & Power Co. downtown where Science Central now is. After that it was partially filled in and used as the route for the tracks to Robison Park by the Fort Wayne Consolidated Railway Company which was associated in some way with Fort Wayne Light & Power and what is now General Electric (There's a book somewhere that talks about the history of GE in Fort Wayne; most of my info on the later uses of the feeder canal route comes from that book.) Now, of course, the canal is a right-of-way for AEP's high-tension lines and the part of it along Spy Run Extended is used for the Rivergreenway.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/7029/canalpictures2.html has lots of present-day pictures of the route of the old feeder canal, including what's left of the feeder dam.

warm.gif

!!!!

very very cool, that picture of "culvert #1" is the area i mentioned in that last post. a friend and i ran across that thing on accident, which led us to investigate (by calling 1st brooks construction who built it) and learning of robinson park. actually, thats where we spent an hour trying to open a manhole. theres pipes coming out of that sidewall and into the water, with a manhole about 5 feet back along the line from the wall.

wonderful. i really hate that kind of crap.

guess ill relocate it to the other side of the river, but until they finish the columbia st. bridge it wont be easily accessible.

i didnt think my coordinates would be THAT far off...

i still dont know where #3 will be going...