What's the status of geocaching of Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area

Guest mcb

So do we know if we are going to be able to contiue placing caches in the Cuyahoga Valley National Recreation Area? This is going to really hurt the North East Ohio Geocaching here if we loose all of these caches.

Buddur made the orginal post on this topic. Have you heard any more from the CVRA? If you hear anything please drop the rest of a line and if there is anything we can do let us know.

mcb

Guest Miles678

I sure hope they let the caches in CVNRA stay. Even though I don't live anywhere close anymore, I grew up in NE Ohio and know the area well. I still have family there and I was so looking forward to finding the caches in my old stomping grounds. Pulling the plug on CVNRA would take a big chunk out of potential caching sites (not to mention the ones already in place)

I was just getting my brother interested in caching. He still lives there in Ohio. This would certainly put a damper on that too. icon_frown.gif

Guest Miles678

I sure hope they let the caches in CVNRA stay. Even though I don't live anywhere close anymore, I grew up in NE Ohio and know the area well. I still have family there and I was so looking forward to finding the caches in my old stomping grounds. Pulling the plug on CVNRA would take a big chunk out of potential caching sites (not to mention the ones already in place)

I was just getting my brother interested in caching. He still lives there in Ohio. This would certainly put a damper on that too. icon_frown.gif

Guest beirne

ers. Someone visited it yesterday and said that there was only a note there saying that the rangers had removed it because of the federal regulations. The person who found it told me that it was the third spot he had found where the cache was removed. I suspect that the rangers are going through the park cleaning up the caches. I'll have to see about putting a cache in the Summit County metro parks.

It is sort of frustrating. mad.gif I think some of the individual park rangers are open to the idea of Geocaching but they are handcuffed by the rules of their park system. It seems very difficult to talk to someone that could actually help us change these rules. I think the chain of command here is very tall and we are going to have a lot of climbing to get high enough up to get some changes made. If anyone has any idea I would love to hear them. I was think maybe we could get a group of Geocachers from that area together if we could find someone in the Park Service that would listen to us and help us start an appeal for some changes. Maybe they would be willing to let up put caches in ranger approve areas. I wouldn't mind some common sense regulation but right now they are just blindly enforcing the rules and these rules do not allow geocaching.

mcb

Guest Markwell

Thanks for posting these type of conversations in this area. It will undoubtably help our cause in the Chicago area if we have others' experiences on which to draw.

Maybe Jeremy should open a new forum, specifically for positive interactions with Park Services.

Markwell

[This message has been edited by Markwell (edited 12 June 2001).]