Church Micro Statistics

jri

Having spotted a load of Church Micro caches appear in my area (mostly thanks to @Leonards193), I wondered how I was doing in the rankings, and had a look at @BaSHful's Church Micro Statistics page. It turns out that I'm not exactly doing great compared to some people, but the award badges caught my eye, and I thought it would be good to be able to keep track of how I'm doing when I look for a Church Micro cache.

I've written a Greasemonkey userscript that lets you see these award badges automatically on Geocaching.com. What it does is this:

• Displays your own award badge on the Your Profile page.
  • Displays your own badge on cache listings for Church Micro caches (but not other caches).
  • Display's other people's award badges at the top of their profile pages.
  • Shows the number of Church Micro finds your friends have made on the Your Friends page.

Hopefully there are a few other people out there that will find this fun! To find out more and install the script, go to OpenUserJS.org/scripts/JRI/Church_Micro_Stats

Thanks go to @sadexploration for starting the series, and @BaSHful & @Andy33 for providing the statistics. BaSHful has also been very helpful in tweaking his web server to help me get the script to work nicely.

Ooooh, me likey!

At first I couldn't quite get (from the written description) what makes this award badge any different from what us Church Micro Hounds already get from putting the HTML code on our own profiles, bit having installed it via Tampermonkey I can see it's so much slicker than that.

I'll need to do a tweak to remove my old HTML code on my profile so my own badge doesn't appear twice, but I like that you can instantly see how may CMs someone else has found... This will prove invaluable in answering that question which comes up all the time (in a social networking group which probably can't be named) about how people who haven't made the top 500 cut find out how many CMs they've found. I can just look for them!

Nice one, jri! :)

The Church Micro stat image on the individual cache listing page isn't working correctly if the cache has been set by someone with a space in their geocaching name, the image shows the name with the space replaced with a plus sign, followed by the message "hasn't got any Church Micro finds in the database yet."

http://coord.info/GC3954B will fill in a D/T combination for me - if I can find it, and when I get to 50 CMs. I'm on 34 I think. The cache page links to a stats page which is not as pretty as the one in the original post here.

The person who got me into caching, South Oxon Stone, is 27= hider of CMs and did a clever challenge recently where you have to get 3 different denominations in 7 different counties. Had a few takers but GC3954B, not far from the M4, surprised it's only been found 76 times.

Latest CM for me - ordinary hide but lovely little building by the Thames - Boveney (behind Eton Wick, W of Windsor) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Mary_Magdalene's_Church,_Boveney

One thing I did notice (having installed the new add-on and removed the old html) is that now anyone else who looks at my profile page doesn't see my Church Micro stats as they would have done before - unless they've installed the add on too - which not very many people have. I suppose that feels like a bit of a step backwards.

I had to remove the old html as it would otherwise have meant having it on my profile twice when I looked at it - which looked odd. Is there anything you can do about this?

The Church Micro stat image on the individual cache listing page isn't working correctly if the cache has been set by someone with a space in their geocaching name, the image shows the name with the space replaced with a plus sign, followed by the message "hasn't got any Church Micro finds in the database yet."

I've made a little tweak to the script and uploaded a new version (v0.0.7) to https://openuserjs.org/users/JRI/scripts

Hopefully this should fix the problem with names with spaces in them. It ought to work for geocaching names with other special symbols too, but I haven't managed to find too many to test on yet.

One thing I did notice (having installed the new add-on and removed the old html) is that now anyone else who looks at my profile page doesn't see my Church Micro stats as they would have done before - unless they've installed the add on too - which not very many people have. I suppose that feels like a bit of a step backwards.

I had to remove the old html as it would otherwise have meant having it on my profile twice when I looked at it - which looked odd. Is there anything you can do about this?

This should be addressed in CMS v0.0.6 onwards. Newer versions of the script should only add a page to users' profile pages if it wasn't there already. If it was there, it will stay in the position that the page owner put it in their HTML.