Growth of "U.S. National Register of Historic Places" category

vhasler

The largest WM category, just over 14,000 posts, continues to add 3.5 wpd (waymarks per day). I was curious if the growth has changed over the years. Regression shows nearly perfect fit for NRHP waymarks created = -91.6 + 6.1204 * Days up through late 2009, and then then the slope has eased off to the current steady rate. With 87,000 available per the category description, many years of exploring is still available for this history category.

Now back to creating some more for this favorite category...

For the "Smithsonian Art Inventory Sculptures", the growth profile follows a power equation where many waymarks were posted in the first weeks after the cateogry was approved. And now the posting rate has tapered off to be roughly 1.6 wpd. Generally, my second category to research when visiting a new area.

No one will deny that the growth of this category has been fueled by BruceS with close to 20% of all waymarks in the category. Obviously many of have become inspired and contribute regularly. My own contributions dropped off during my nearly five-year stay in Korea. New people have come on board. The pool of potential waymarks grows as new sites are registered each week!

The newer companion category for contributing buildings within NRHP historic districts also continues to grow, and has a astounding number of potential waymarks. There are many districts with over a thousand contributing buildings!

When I first created the Smithsonian Inventory category, I think there was an initial surge of crossposting as people looked at the sculptures and statues that they had already posted, and then it tapered off to the current level.

I think and interesting pattern would appear in the state historical markers categories with a huge surge, then a decline, especially for states that limited waymarks to an official, finite set. And, what about U.S. State Capitols? Some categories are pretty much defunct such as Kissmobile Sightings and Yellow Arrow.

Hopefully my posting to the NRHP category will pick up soon. My overall waymark posting is way down due to my current health issues, but hopefully soon I will more energy to post more. I do have 200-300 if not more NRHP waymarks in my queue to post. The NRHP category is always my start point for any trip I do in the US. The Smithsonian Inventory category gets mapped in also but when visiting smaller towns or rural areas there are not many to be found. I could add tens of thousands to the contributing building category if I wanted to spend my time taking photos in residential area's of St. Louis, as there are districts there with several thousand contributing buildings, at this time that is not my idea of fun :laughing:

Yeah, we all know you've been slacking off!

Seriously, our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Have you been able to maintain your posting streak? THREE YEARS Plus at last count.

I hope to get my own posting rate up, but between job, volunteer work and grandchildren . . .

I hope to get my own posting rate up, but between job, volunteer work and grandchildren . . .

You'd better get going, Silverquill - there's a couple of Canucks sneaking up behind you ;^)

And the Canucks, too, hope that BruceS gets over the health problems ASAP and continues with the NRHPs...